So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 30, 2018 5:59 pm

While I'm stoked with the Rex 45 release, especially since we are getting a new military in a killer steel, I can't help but feel like it's a distraction while Maxamet is being quietly set aside.

Will we see more PM2, Para 3s?

Will there be a military?

Should we abandon All Hope?

I realize it's not a the ultimate steel for everyone and it's God awful to work with.

But I selfishly enjoy using and Sharpening it.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4091
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby The Meat man » Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Are the Para 3's really all gone? I wasn't aware they had stopped production.

I've got a Native 5 Maxamet and I like it. I hope that this steel will continue to be in standard production.

At least we still have the Native and Manix.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 pm
Are the Para 3's really all gone? I wasn't aware they had stopped production.

I've got a Native 5 Maxamet and I like it. I hope that this steel will continue to be in standard production.

At least we still have the Native and Manix.
When the PM2 came out at the end of 2017 I thought "no biggie, I'll pick one up when the batches keep rolling in like the s110v."

But they never came back.

When the para3s dropped I had hustle to make sure I didn't make the same Mistake.

But I also thought that with the para 3s coming out it meant they were going to continue production.

I haven't seen any New Pm2, para3 or Military Maxamet knives trickle in.

With the announcement of the full line of military and para family in rex 45.

I'm getting the feeling Maxamet is dead.

I'm kinda depressed
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby koenigsegg » Wed May 30, 2018 6:30 pm

If they did stop maybe it just didn't make sense for them to keep in production. I don't get how the Manix 2 blade was seemingly so much easier to make than the pm2. I really want a full manix g10 maxamet
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby xceptnl » Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

I hope it's not dead, I have only been able to use my LW Manix in Maxamet a few times and need to know more before they possibly stop production. Though the Rex45 Para 3 would make me feel better if I never got one in Max
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby koenigsegg » Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm

I need to get my Manix 2 sharpened and they won't do it at the factory cause it's a second. Then I knocked it on the concrete yesterday. At least the concrete didn't take off too much but I just can't get this thing as sharp as I want.
6424794940256774879.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9479
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Doc Dan » Wed May 30, 2018 7:07 pm

I think the Maxamet is regular production, whereas the Rex 45 is a special run.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9830
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 pm

I am still holding out hope for a Maxamet Military. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm
I need to get my Manix 2 sharpened and they won't do it at the factory cause it's a second. Then I knocked it on the concrete yesterday. At least the concrete didn't take off too much but I just can't get this thing as sharp as I want.

6424794940256774879.jpg
I have a Maxamet Sharpening service for a fee.

However, I can see why it's not as sharp. Too many facets on your bevel. Should just be one bevel.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby koenigsegg » Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Was trying to follow ApostleP advice from youtube to do 17* and 22* micro bevel
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4091
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby The Meat man » Wed May 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm
I need to get my Manix 2 sharpened and they won't do it at the factory cause it's a second. Then I knocked it on the concrete yesterday. At least the concrete didn't take off too much but I just can't get this thing as sharp as I want.

6424794940256774879.jpg
I have a Maxamet Sharpening service for a fee.

However, I can see why it's not as sharp. Too many facets on your bevel. Should just be one bevel.

Deadboxhero, do you freehand your Maxamet? I remember seeing a thread of yours about Maxamet sharpening, but I'm just curious if you ever use a guided system.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22077
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Evil D » Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 pm
I am still holding out hope for a Maxamet Military. :D

I think I'm pretty content with my Military collection, but I would have to buy one in Maxamet. I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Pelagic » Wed May 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 pm
I am still holding out hope for a Maxamet Military. :D

I think I'm pretty content with my Military collection, but I would have to buy one in Maxamet. I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.
+1
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 30, 2018 7:41 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:27 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm
I need to get my Manix 2 sharpened and they won't do it at the factory cause it's a second. Then I knocked it on the concrete yesterday. At least the concrete didn't take off too much but I just can't get this thing as sharp as I want.

6424794940256774879.jpg
I have a Maxamet Sharpening service for a fee.

However, I can see why it's not as sharp. Too many facets on your bevel. Should just be one bevel.

Deadboxhero, do you freehand your Maxamet? I remember seeing a thread of yours about Maxamet sharpening, but I'm just curious if you ever use a guided system.

All Freehand

https://youtu.be/zDJ4lEnbl28

I'd probably make better edges with a system, go figure.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm
Was trying to follow ApostleP advice from youtube to do 17* and 22* micro bevel
Right on, Rob is a good man.

I disagree, especially with Maxamet.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Pelagic » Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 pm

I would take Shawn's advice.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby koenigsegg » Wed May 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm
Was trying to follow ApostleP advice from youtube to do 17* and 22* micro bevel
Right on, Rob is a good man.

I disagree, especially with Maxamet.
Any angle suggestions? 15 dps? 20?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Pelagic » Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:50 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm
Was trying to follow ApostleP advice from youtube to do 17* and 22* micro bevel
Right on, Rob is a good man.

I disagree, especially with Maxamet.
Any angle suggestions? 15 dps? 20?
How could you go wrong? Unless you're cutting very abrasive materials, 30 inclusive or less should be fine.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 30, 2018 7:57 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:50 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:21 pm
Was trying to follow ApostleP advice from youtube to do 17* and 22* micro bevel
Right on, Rob is a good man.

I disagree, especially with Maxamet.
Any angle suggestions? 15 dps? 20?
15dps

I've made several videos detailing my process so I'm not going to rehash it here.


I'm not saying my way is the only way to sharpen. This is just what I'VE found to give me the best results.
YMMV.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: So Is Maxamet Dead Now?

Postby koenigsegg » Wed May 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Everyone is an expert. Guess I followed the wrong expert the first time lol now I'll try a new expert
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Knifenutwill, Stuart Ackerman, tonijedi and 31 guests