Cold Steel Talk

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Cold Steel Talk

Post by James Y »

Many thanks for your excellent and very thorough review of your first impressions, Rick! It cements the idea that one day, if and when I ever get back into buying any more knives, the AD15 Lite will be on that list, if it's still being made by then!

I have another question: How is that Mini Recon 1, including (of course) its pocket clip/clipability?

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Finn Wolf is good.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:09 am
Many thanks for your excellent and very thorough review of your first impressions, Rick! It cements the idea that one day, if and when I ever get back into buying any more knives, the AD15 Lite will be on that list, if it's still being made by then!

I have another question: How is that Mini Recon 1, including (of course) its pocket clip/clipability?

Jim
Hey Jim! Sorry - I've been pretty busy lately and I managed to miss this for a couple weeks..

The Mini Recon 1 is nice - one of Cold Steel's more realistic actual "edc" designs, imo..big enough to be a useful knife to the average person, microscopic compared to most CS knives haha. The FRN (or GRN, or whatever CS calls it..) is well done.. textured enough to look a little classier than most FRN.. it almost looks like a peel-ply G10, but smoother, so it's easy on pockets.. the clip still has quite a bit of retention, iirc, but it's not a big deal in and out of the pocket combined with the smoother scales.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:09 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:09 am

Jim
Hey Jim! Sorry - I've been pretty busy lately and I managed to miss this for a couple weeks..

The Mini Recon 1 is nice - one of Cold Steel's more realistic actual "edc" designs, imo..big enough to be a useful knife to the average person, microscopic compared to most CS knives haha. The FRN (or GRN, or whatever CS calls it..) is well done.. textured enough to look a little classier than most FRN.. it almost looks like a peel-ply G10, but smoother, so it's easy on pockets.. the clip still has quite a bit of retention, iirc, but it's not a big deal in and out of the pocket combined with the smoother scales.

No need to apologize, Rick H. Your reviews/ and descriptions are very detailedand much appreciated. Many thanks!

If I ever buy any more knives, and if one of those happens to be a Cold Steel, the mini Recon 1 sounds the most like something I might actually carry and use with any regularity.

🙂

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:09 pm
8< -----
The FRN (or GRN, or whatever CS calls it..) is well done.. textured enough to look a little classier than most FRN.. it almost looks like a peel-ply G10, but smoother, so it's easy on pockets.. the clip still has quite a bit of retention, iirc, but it's not a big deal in and out of the pocket combined with the smoother scales.
Ou...
Until I read this, I didn't realize they'd changed the handle material to fancy plastic.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the mini recon 1 was the one CS I felt bad about missing out on, and the one model I hoped would make a comeback when GSM surveyed their customers for models they wanted to return.
And it did, with a catch.
In the CTS-XHP era both the regular recon 1 and the mini had similar "premium" build with G10 and CTS-XHP, while the Micro recons was a step below with GRN and AUS-8.
And while I'm a big fan of FRN, and I really don't think AUS-10A is too much of an issue for this type of knife - the super grippy G10 is one of the defining features of the recon series to me.
The new mini may still be a good option in its own right and maybe even better value, but I still feel like I missed out on the mini recon 1.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I bought a 4max Scout years ago now, and loved it. Bought a 2nd when GSM bought cold steel because I was worried the brand would go away after a short while. I spent around $75-80 each. I felt they were a great deal. Still do. Now I see I can get one for FORTY DOLLARS. $40 at midway. Like...how? Ridiculous. Anyone on the fence should buy one or two at that price. Yeah, they're big. But they're solid knives and will take anything you throw at them. The aus10 isn't bad either.

Man, I want to buy a few more now just to have more backups that I won't need anytime soon but, I've already spent enough buying firearms and optics...lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela