if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jwbnyc

Re: if you could only own a 5 Spyderco knife collection:

Post by jwbnyc »

If I’m going to have to limit my Spydercos, then; I’m going to really limit them to just Two:

Delica
Endura

When I was using knives a lot more than I am atm, it made sense to me to have a small and large version of the same knife.

A smaller knife for pocket carry most of the time, and a larger one for those jobs that called for it.

There is something to using the same knives all the time promoting familiarity and proficiency.

It’s been nice getting to know different Spydercos and having them in the collection, but beyond having a couple? It’s an indulgence.

I’m not getting rid of any. I enjoy rotating through. But, once I think about it beyond Two: it’s just not necessary, so; the difference between Five and, let’s say, Fifty is not that much philosophically.

The tough call would be which Delica and which Endura.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’d say 5 is a pretty good low number of knives that can cover all one’s usage bases, if for your needs you can narrow it down to just 2 that’s awesome! I disagree though I think philosophically owning 5 versus 50 knives is pretty different, there can be a practical purpose or owning a collection upwards of 5 knives, 50 though? That’s a complete collector mindset. I liked the knife center guys category break down, a smaller 3” edc pocket knife, a larger folder for when needed but still edc’able, small companion fixed blade, and a larger fixed blade. Pretty much covers it all
:bug-red-white
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Good points, but for me, once I get past Two, my mind does kick over into a collectors mindset. Remember, we are discussing one brand of knife.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

And KC David also mentioned a gentleman's knife category if you want to carry something while a bit dressier. For example, I'm not sure a Salt goes well with a suit. ;)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

jwbnyc wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:35 am
Good points, but for me, once I get past Two, my mind does kick over into a collectors mindset. Remember, we are discussing one brand of knife.
Yeah, I suppose collector is kind of a broad term. A collector to me is someone who buys a lot of knives that they just “like” or don’t have much of a thought process behind how practically the knife will serve them as a tool first. Somebody who owns several knives but does narrow it down and considers its philosophy of use I would call an enthusiast. I don’t think having loyalty to a brand or a design style means you must collect their products
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:42 am
And KC David also mentioned a gentleman's knife category if you want to carry something while a bit dressier. For example, I'm not sure a Salt goes well with a suit. ;)
a black pacific salt will disappear into your jacket pocket because it's so light.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I'm going with:

Manix 2 XL
Manix 2
UKPK
Stretch 2 Straight Spine
Pacific Salt 2
Mantra 1

Hm, that is six. Maybe the two Manix count as one? If not, it depends on the specific day. But in general, the Pacific has to leave the list, it's a close call.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:55 am
TimButterfield wrote:
a black pacific salt will disappear into your jacket pocket because it's so light.
:') I must have been thinking of the bright yellow or green as a black salt would also disappear on a black sand beach. (Why, yes, I have been to several, in Iceland. Very pretty! Still want to visit more in Hawaii also.) Perhaps different Salt colors are required for the different situations.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:48 am
ladybug93 wrote:
TimButterfield wrote:
:') I must have been thinking of the bright yellow or green as a black salt would also disappear on a black sand beach. (Why, yes, I have been to several, in Iceland. Very pretty! Still want to visit more in Hawaii also.) Perhaps different Salt colors are required for the different situations.
i bought my black pac salt when i moved to hawaii. i carried it every day and at all times, except for while showering or in bed. actually, when using public showers, i kept it clipped to my toiletry bag. it's been on all kinds of beaches and out in the ocean many times. :) never had fear of losing it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:11 pm
i bought my black pac salt when i moved to hawaii. i carried it every day and at all times, except for while showering or in bed. actually, when using public showers, i kept it clipped to my toiletry bag. it's been on all kinds of beaches and out in the ocean many times. :) never had fear of losing it.
That's great! I wish my eyesight would let me risk that. Some of those black Salts are tempting. But, I'm near-sighted and it would just be a blur if it dropped. I'm not even sure I would see the green or yellow either, though. I'm going to have to get some contacts before I go snorkling in few weeks as I doubt the resort masks will work with glasses.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:11 pm
TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:48 am
ladybug93 wrote:
TimButterfield wrote:

Not a Salt, but still a black Spydie on a black beach .. Stretch 1 was with me on the island of La Palma (Canary islands) and its black beaches and rocks several times... managed not to loose it ;)

Stretch 1 could easily make my "only 5" list btw., which I have yet to make...

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 pm
Not a Salt, but still a black Spydie on a black beach .. Stretch 1 was with me on the island of La Palma (Canary islands) and its black beaches and rocks several times... managed not to loose it ;)

The beach I'm headed to is white sand, so the black would stand out on it okay, unless I drop it in some coral.

From what I see in your image, isn't that Stretch 1 VG-10? How does the. VG-10 handle being around salt water like that? My Lil' Temp 3 is also VG-10 with black handle, but I was thinking of leaving it home and only taking the real Salts to the beach.

I'm still working on my 'only 5' list also. I have candidates for three spots, but wanted to see how the Salts handled the salt water first. If I had some of the upcoming models already, some of those might make it, too. But, that will have to wait. One of my candidates, the Caribbean leaf SE, is good in the kitchen, though. I'm thinking it will be good at the beach also and I already like it a bit better than the Atlantic or Pac Salt 2. I like that chunky grip (if it's not in my pocket). :open-grin
Darklight111

Post by Darklight111 »

Nirvana
PPT LE
Police SS serrated
Dragonfly SS
Native Salt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
The beach I'm headed to is white sand, so the black would stand out on it okay, unless I drop it in some coral.

From what I see in your image, isn't that Stretch 1 VG-10? How does the. VG-10 handle being around salt water like that? My Lil' Temp 3 is also VG-10 with black handle, but I was thinking of leaving it home and only taking the real Salts to the beach.

To be clear: I actually do like high viz colored handles in the outdoors (and am generally not opposed to brighter handle colors).
Especially in the woods and mountains it sure helps a bit to not loose or accidentally forget a knife.

/ To your question: I am not sure if I am the right person to ask... I seem to have unusually little rust and corrosion issues with my folders compared to appearantly many others here. I carry REX 45 and XHP a lot iwb on sweaty runs or for days in moist packs or pockets, I cut all kinds of food with also my tool steel folders: Still almost no corrosion, spots, patina...

So VG10, as a stainless steel, is pretty much completely rust proof in my use..
And I do use VG10 a lot in all conditions, and had no rust problems at all on the salty environment of that pretty small Atlantic island (did not take the VG10 Stretch actually INTO the ocean though).
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:06 pm
To your question: I am not sure if I am the right person to ask... I seem to have unusually little rust and corrosion issues with my folders compared to appearantly many others here. I carry REX 45 and XHP a lot iwb on sweaty runs or for days in moist packs or pockets, I cut all kinds of food with also my tool steel folders: Still almost no corrosion, spots, patina...

And I do use VG10 a lot in all conditions, and had no rust problems at all on the salty environment of that pretty small Atlantic island (did not take the VG10 Stretch actually INTO the ocean though).
Thanks for that. Your experience is good news. While not a guarantee of future experience for me, it is good to know. Perhaps I should bring my Chap/XHP and Lil' Temp 3/VG-10 with me just to test how they do at the beach. I'm only there a week anyway; should be safe. That would help reinforce their candidacy for a couple of spots on my list.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Military S90V Ti/CF
PM2 Cruwear Micarta
Endela K390 Wharncliffe
Caribbean LC200N Leaf SE
UKPK S110V

Late edit for photo

If I had to choose only one Spyderco: PM2 CF S90V

If I had to choose only one non-Spyderco: CRK Large Sebenza Magnacut - drop point with black micarta inlays
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:06 pm
To your question: I am not sure if I am the right person to ask... I seem to have unusually little rust and corrosion issues with my folders compared to appearantly many others here. I carry REX 45 and XHP a lot iwb on sweaty runs or for days in moist packs or pockets, I cut all kinds of food with also my tool steel folders: Still almost no corrosion, spots, patina...

Thanks for that. Your experience is good news. While not a guarantee of future experience for me, it is good to know. Perhaps I should bring my Chap/XHP and Lil' Temp 3/VG-10 with me just to test how they do at the beach. I'm only there a week anyway; should be safe. That would help reinforce their candidacy for a couple of spots on my list.

Tim, since you are pretty new to the forum I want to emphasize again:

I have no idea why this is, but my experiences concerning corrosion resistance do not seem to be in line with the average here.

I honestly do report what occurs (or rather NOT occurs...) in MY use, but there are others that can get spots on VG10 just by carrying the knife in pocket on a hot summer day. While I, as said, carry my REX 45 Manix in heavy rain during a long, sweaty hike iwb and have no issues,

So, I´d say if you mind tiny spots or discolorations (which I personally would NOT (mind)) at least XHP (being really low in corrosion resistance for a nominally stainless steel) could be a bit of a risk on the beach - ?
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:42 pm
Tim, since you are pretty new to the forum I want to emphasize again:

I have no idea why this is, but my experiences concerning corrosion resistance do not seem to be in line with the average here.

I honestly do report what occurs (or rather NOT occurs...) in MY use, but there are others that can get spots on VG10 just by carrying the knife in pocket on a hot summer day. While I, as said, carry my REX 45 Manix in heavy rain during a long, sweaty hike iwb and have no issues,

So, I´d say if you mind tiny spots or discolorations (which I personally would NOT (mind)) at least XHP (being really low in corrosion resistance for a nominally stainless steel) could be a bit of a risk on the beach - ?
Thanks for clarifying. I know different environments and individual conditions will affect things differently. We are all an experiment of one and need to recognize results may not be replicable in other cases. I will need to ponder it some more to decide if I wish to risk it. It's not like I would actually need yet more knives on a one week trip.

This does have me thinking about how the results of a test like this may affect candidacy for one of my 'only 5' slots, whether to risk it to find out or skip it to be safe. :thinking

I definitely still have more learning to do. Thanks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I'm still working on my 'only 5' list also. I have candidates for three spots, but wanted to see how the Salts handled the salt water first. If I had some of the upcoming models already, some of those might make it, too. But, that will have to wait. One of my candidates, the Caribbean leaf SE, is good in the kitchen, though. I'm thinking it will be good at the beach also and I already like it a bit better than the Atlantic or Pac Salt 2. I like that chunky grip (if it's not in my pocket). :open-grin
viewtopic.php?t=89798

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786

viewtopic.php?t=84857&p=1360139

viewtopic.php?t=92418

There's some good links if you want to read up on corrosion resistance. I'm pretty hard on my knives in that respect. Hot climate + physically active + working in hot & humid environments.
:unicorn