I've finished my Spyderco steel collection.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: I've finished my Spyderco steel collection.

Post by wrdwrght »

Well done! As you have become the only person who can compare and contrast each steel to every other one to further our edge-u-cation, I thank you for taking on this big challenge. :winking-tongue
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

15V up next? Or some MT steel?
vivi

Post by vivi »

How many of them have you used extensively? Which is your favorite for a general purpose user?
:unicorn
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:49 pm
How many of them have you used extensively? Which is your favorite for a general purpose user?
There are about 20 of them that I don't think I've used or at least not used nearly enough, yet. Some of those I probably won't ever use but some I just need to get to. O1 for example. I got a cracked wood handle Bushcraft to check the box next to that steel and I won't use that one but I have since picked up a G10 Bushcraft to use but just haven't found the time. Not that O1 is a groundbreaking steel just that the design of the knife just begs me to use it.

My favorite steels that always end up in my pocket are usually not the latest, greatest, most sexy thing. In fact my top five would be H1, LC200N, VG10, Rex 45, and Cruwear. It may be partly that I'm stuck on a boat 300+ days every year but if I'm not doing that I'm probably hiking or running and the Salts still get carried the most.
Enactive wrote:15V up next? Or some MT steel?
Whichever comes out next. I will do what I must to maintain it now. The number of knives popping up lately has been crazy. I've cut way back on buying knives but I will keep buying the new steels.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really impressive goal achievement, I know some of those weren't easy or inexpensive to get your hands on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Congrats once again !

It was my plan at the beginning, but I quickly found out that Spyderco used dozens of steels before I ever join the Spyderco bandwagon, this information terrorized my wallet !

It's good to see someone having them all. I'm looking forward to the next additions :bug-red-white :bug-white-red
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SpyderVol

Post by SpyderVol »

Commendable and impressive, BUT........
With Spyderco, this is like chasing the wind, e.g., now you've got 15V to buy.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Added CPM Rex T15 and found that I'd forgotten to add H2 to the list. I'll have to look closer to see if I'm forgetting anything else.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just saw this thread. Congratulations, that is an incredibly impressive collection.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

This is very cool!

I’m not sure I would call myself someone who endeavors to collect anything except, knowledge and experience. However, in my case, doing that can end up meaning gathering collections of various things including, books, fossils, and now knives.
I think I decided yesterday to pursue all of the REX steels from Spyderco. The REX 45 Burnt Orange Sprints are partially responsible for me becoming interested in knives and steel more seriously.
I’ve never ended up buying any because the timing just wasn’t right, but they sparked my interest.

I’m finally starting with the REX T15 Mule.
The latest update to your collection, is the beginning of mine.

I have several Spyderco’s, but I wouldn’t really say I’m collecting those in the same way, even though I will be using the REX knives no differently. For me, the steels still have to be in a model that I will find useful and is not too redundant (the Mules being an exception to the latter).

We’ll see how it works out, but just thought stuff like this can be fun!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Congratulations!
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Congrats! Can only imagine it must be hard keeping up on new steels with a company like Spyderco 😉 Do you have a picture of the complete collection? Not to proof anything, just out of interest.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Pacu0420

Post by Pacu0420 »

Wow! That's awesome! I've only been collecting knives for a few years. I collect based on new and different steels that I don't have yet. I love testing and comparing them on different materials. A couple of my favorites are MagnaCut and S90V.

What are some of your favorites?

Oh yeah, how long did it take you to complete your collection?
Top 6 EDC Spydies: 15V Shaman, S45VN Para3 (Flytanium Scales), S90V DLT PM2, MagnaCut Native5, Crucarta PM2, Maxamet Manix2
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Added K294 to the list.
Sorry, somehow just saw these questions.
Pacu0420 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:50 am
What are some of your favorites?

Oh yeah, how long did it take you to complete your collection?
Top 5 are H1, LC200N, MagnaCut, K390, Rex45.

Overall it took years but I think when my steel count was in the 40-50 range I decided to try to figure out how many there actually were and how far I was from it. Once I made the decision it took about 9 months to finish up... mostly. Now at 81 and just maintaining.
vivi

Post by vivi »

At this point, how many steels from Spyderco have you extensively used, sharpened, etc.?
:unicorn