Hawkbill Grail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Hawkbill Grail

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm a broken record about wanting PE hawkbills, compression lock and CBBL Hawkbills, and Big Hawkbills.

The thing is, Spyderco used to make one.

The Superhawk.

I found a fellow knife enthusiast that was willing to trade for it. So here it is in its plain edge, compression lock, VG-10 and CF glory.

I am happy. Wouldn't mind more like this though :grin-big eyes
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Re: Hawkbill Grail

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great catch ! Another knife that Forum members years ago pushed for its development . Great to see it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its near the top of my, "I wish they would bring back", list.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:39 pm
Its near the top of my, "I wish they would bring back", list.
+1

EDIT TO ADD: But I don’t see it happening.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:54 pm
Great catch ! Another knife that Forum members years ago pushed for its development . Great to see it . MG2
And then they didn't buy it, so it got discontinued. Makes you wonder why Sal listens to us.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:45 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:54 pm
And then they didn't buy it, so it got discontinued. Makes you wonder why Sal listens to us.
I did Yab . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, but they didn't exactly fly off the shelves.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It checks every box for me. I wouldn't mind some colored G-10 and a steel upgrade, but design wise it's pretty perfect. If the makers in Seki can still make them, I'd love to see someone comission an exclusive. Or for Spyderco to do a Sprint.

It's a thick piece of steel too. Here it is next to the Police4.

I'll take some more comparison pics later.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Thanx for the thread. It's one of those designs that thought was kind of an ultimate Hawkbill. More expensive that I'd hoped for. I named the knife after one of my favorite motorcycles in the 60's.

I worked on the design for quite a while. Even the edge was a decreasing radius to keep the pressure consistent as one got close to the tip. Sure grip with the "hook" at the butt so it was secure if the tip of the blade caught on something. Thicker blade and Compression lock for extra strength. Peel ply carbon fiber for grip and performance.

As Yab said, they didn't fly off of the shelf. Then in an effort to see why, I designed the handle with a more conventional blade shape, but to no avail.

Any thoughts on an FRN handle version with a thinner (3mm) blade? Maybe a Wharnie? As time moves on, the direction of interests change. Thoughts?

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:49 pm
Hi Matt,

Thanx for the thread. It's one of those designs that thought was kind of an ultimate Hawkbill. More expensive that I'd hoped for. I named the knife after one of my favorite motorcycles in the 60's.

I worked on the design for quite a while. Even the edge was a decreasing radius to keep the pressure consistent as one got close to the tip. Sure grip with the "hook" at the butt so it was secure if the tip of the blade caught on something. Thicker blade and Compression lock for extra strength. Peel ply carbon fiber for grip and performance.

As Yab said, they didn't fly off of the shelf. Then in an effort to see why, I designed the handle with a more conventional blade shape, but to no avail.

Any thoughts on an FRN handle version with a thinner (3mm) blade? Maybe a Wharnie? As time moves on, the direction of interests change. Thoughts?

sal
I have the Super Leaf still and would love to see a Wharnie anytime it would come to fruition.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Hi Matt,
I'd be game for an FRN version with a thinner blade. K390, S90V, Rex45, ZDP-189, and 4V are a few of my favorites but I'd be happy with what will please the most people. It's a great handle and blade design, definitely the ultimate hawkbill, it would be cool to have an FRN version more people could get to experience as the original is hard to come by these days.

As for a Wharncliffe version, I like Wharncliffes a lot. And though my heart lies with Hawkbills, a Super-cliffe would probably be even more popular with people.

max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:47 pm
I'm a broken record about wanting PE hawkbills, compression lock and CBBL Hawkbills, and Big Hawkbills.

The thing is, Spyderco used to make one.

The Superhawk.

I found a fellow knife enthusiast that was willing to trade for it. So here it is in its plain edge, compression lock, VG-10 and CF glory.

I am happy. Wouldn't mind more like this though :grin-big eyes
Congratulations on finding your holy grail, looks a lot better than a carpenter's cup. Any chance of this one in a serrated reiteration? :cheap-sunglasses
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Not at all trying to be a braggart but I do believe that the SUPERHAWK model was the result of that old thread I started back in 2005. It was entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbilll". The last time I looked I think it had about 150 pages to it. It still pops up every so often and has a lot of hawkbill related stuff on it. As that thread was winding down in about mid 2006 I think it was is just about when the SUPERHAWK model suddenly appeared on the landscape.

I just wish they had done a serrated version of it. Because ZROW I'm just the opposite of you my Brother >> I do most of my work with serrated Hawkbills and lately it's been one of my full SE Yellow H-1 Spyderhawk models. But I do have one of the super rare blue handled, VG-10 Spyderhawks in plain edge that I've kept over the years. And I've turned down some handsome offers for it too ( a user at that). I haven't seen one of the blue PE, VG-10 Spyderhawks up for trade or sale or on any of the auction sites in years now.

That SUPERHAWK is a lot easier to find. And there are still a few of those around if you look hard enough.
Razor G43

Post by Razor G43 »

I would buy two of the serrated model!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Razor,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

sal

How about a Cru-carta sprint? Let the popularity of Cru-carta help get people interested in the model and hawkbills in general.

Still hoping for a Spyderhawk 2 Salt (H1 SE) as well with updated Pac Salt 2 handle.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Razor G43 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:10 pm
I would buy two of the serrated model!
OK that does it. It's time to start a "Serrated Sprint Run" thread and to list the full SE candidates that you folks desire. And a serrated version of the Superhawk should be either first up or at least in the top 3. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Personally I think it should be mandatory that all Hawkbill blades be made available in SE & PE both. Because this thread proves that there are people that are very passionate about both edge types on their favorite Spyderco Hawkbill blades.

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again. Had they offered up that Superhawk in both edge types it would have become a permanent model just like the Harpy. PROVE me WRONG if you can!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I prefer Plain Edge, but I like SE as well. I don't look at them as better or worse, just different. If SE would be more popular I'm all for it.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not sure which feature did the most to kill my interest in the Superhawk, the plain edge, the compression lock or the price tag. The combination sure got the job done, though.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I love these. I got into the game too late I think (or I wasn't paying attention). Settled on a Myrtle but this one is the dream. FRN would be nice with this. No steel preference in my opinion but plain edge in K390 with that hawkbill would be wicked! VG-10 would be just fine for what my uses would be (yardwork etc).
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!