Bigger Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LSUisSEC

Bigger Dragonfly

Post by LSUisSEC »

Would anyone be interested in a bigger sized dragonfly? Maybe just call it the Dragon. I love the ergos and in a slightly larger size with the same stock thickness i thing it would be fantastic.
araneae

Re: Bigger Dragonfly

Post by araneae »

There are several older threads about this if you do a search.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Sure why not?
Ric

Post by Ric »

+1
LSUisSEC

Post by LSUisSEC »

Woops. My bad I definately haven’t seen it brought up so I didn’t think it was a thing.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am happy with my current DF2-Chap-Sage-N5-P3 lineup. I really only wish that the G10 model is cheaper.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

LSUisSEC wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 pm
Woops. My bad I definately haven’t seen it brought up so I didn’t think it was a thing.
You are thinking like a lot of others around here, so you fit right in.

I am not sure I am interested. The Dragonfly is pretty much perfect. It is my favorite small pocketknife that Spyderco makes. They are like popcorn. You can't have just one.

On the other hand, I am not opposed to the concept as long as it remained the same dimensions all around, except length.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:45 pm
The Dragonfly is pretty much perfect. It is my favorite small pocketknife that Spyderco makes. They are like popcorn. You can't have just one.

I have never owned or really even handled a Dragonfly. I have heard about how awesome they are for nearly a decade and have just never really felt like I needed one. I think I may need to order the K390 variant soon.
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Here's my crude sketch. The ergonomics are as much the same as they can be, I only added a bit of length to the handle and the blade at the very ends. The shape of the butt of the handle and tip of the blade are even the same exact profile as the original.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

LSUisSEC wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 pm
It is not a thing.

I think there are very few ideas and topics that haven´t been brought up several or even multiple times here.
Perfectly fine or even a good thing for me if one a bit newer to the forum starts a thread about a topic that might have been discussed some time ago already.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:53 am
Here's my crude sketch. The ergonomics are as much the same as they can be, I only added a bit of length to the handle and the blade at the very ends. The shape of the butt of the handle and tip of the blade are even the same exact profile as the original.

I always find that sketch of yours very interesting (have seen it before of course) and just can´t tell by looking at it if it would work great or perhaps really not.
Just some thoughts:

- The Dragonfly is perfectly designed for its particular very small size so to provide a good three to four finger grip when using the choil (pretty much mandatory on this knife)
- I just can´t tell if the rather pronounced arc / "finger(s) groove" the handle has where the fingers sit would work in a larger size too, or if a more subtle arc/curve would be better there?
- On the original Dragonfly the butt end of the handle starts to rise right behind that "finger(s) groove" Normally on that "rising part" the pinky will sit.
How would that feel on your version, where there is a flat part before that "rise"? How, if more than one finger sits there?
- Perhaps (again, of course I don´t know) the DFly design would work again in a substantially larger size, so large that all four fingers could be conveniently placed in that "arc"/"finger(s) groove"?? (So space for four fingers between the two blue lines in the pic below)
But would not work so well in a just slightly larger size than the current Dfly??

Only having prototypes in hand could tell this I guess.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:14 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:53 am

I always find that sketch of yours very interesting (have seen it before of course) and just can´t tell by looking at it if it would work great or perhaps really not.
Just some thoughts:

- The Dragonfly is perfectly designed for its particular very small size so to provide a good three to four finger grip when using the choil (pretty much mandatory on this knife)
- I just can´t tell if the rather pronounced arc / "finger(s) groove" the handle has where the fingers sit would work in a larger size too, or if a more subtle arc/curve would be better there?
- On the original Dragonfly the butt end of the handle starts to rise right behind that "finger(s) groove" Normally on that "rising part" the pinky will sit.
How would that feel on your version, where there is a flat part before that "rise"? How, if more than one finger sits there?
- Perhaps (again, of course I don´t know) the DFly design would work again in a substantially larger size, so large that all four fingers could be conveniently placed in that "arc"/"finger(s) groove"?? (So space for four fingers between the two blue lines in the pic below)
But would not work so well in a just slightly larger size than the current Dfly??

Only having prototypes in hand could tell this I guess.

I think you'd grip that knife exactly like you do the current size, I don't envision it being a "behind the choil" grip at all, it still isn't big enough for that. The only ergonomic difference you'd feel is from that spot where your pinky finger lands on the handle, it may feel a little different there because the handle is shaped a little different there but the rest of your fingers would feel exactly the same because the rest of the handle is exactly the same. My only goal with that sketch was really to increase the blade length 1/2 inch, and to do that you have to increase handle length too and the only place I could add to the handle without changing the feeling of the grip was at the very end of the handle. I could probably change the pinky rest into more of a finger groove shape and it could feel more like the original, but I also wanted people with larger hands to be comfortable on this larger grip, and a pinky finger groove would only fit certain size hands.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I always figured the Dragonfly was sort of the smallest in the Calypso family and that the Caly Jr was pretty close to a bigger dragonfly. The handle is a little bit different but the blades are similar.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Based on the recent topic trend, clearly the best solution is for Spyderco to iterate every single model in 0.1" increments from 1.5" up to 4.5". That would make all of their customers marginally happier, and only increase their costs by a couple orders of magnitude.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:38 am
I always figured the Dragonfly was sort of the smallest in the Calypso family and that the Caly Jr was pretty close to a bigger dragonfly. The handle is a little bit different but the blades are similar.
I agree, the Caly Jr. is very close to a larger Dragonfly.
Accutron wrote: Based on the recent topic trend, clearly the best solution is for Spyderco to iterate every single model in 0.1" increments from 1.5" up to 4.5". That would make all of their customers marginally happier, and only increase their costs by a couple orders of magnitude.
Even though I have recently contributed to this trend, I couldn't agree more. ;)
- Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:00 am
Based on the recent topic trend, clearly the best solution is for Spyderco to iterate every single model in 0.1" increments from 1.5" up to 4.5". That would make all of their customers marginally happier, and only increase their costs by a couple orders of magnitude.
:rofl

So much this! ^
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Someone with more experience with 3D printing than I could easily print a simple mock-up of Evil-D’s “embiggened” Dragonfly. I’d give it a try, but I’m below novice level.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a good point. The Calypso Jr. is definitely the larger Dragonfly many seem to be asking for. Perhaps a Sprint Run is in order?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

How many of these threads have there been?
"Some call me...Tim?"