Knife laws in Paris?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Knife laws in Paris?

Post by TomAiello »

Is anyone familiar with French (and also, separately, if that's the case, Parisian) knife regulations?

We're planning two weeks of family vacation this summer, with a week in Paris and then a week visiting other parts of France.

I assume I'll be good with an Opinel, which one of my french friends told me "every boy in france has when he's 10 years old", but wanted to make sure that Paris didn't have some kind of NYC style insanity going on.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
MarcusH

Re: Knife laws in Paris?

Post by MarcusH »

The French knife laws are a bit confusing and I found them not entirely clearcut, a lot depends on your personal appearance and the way you dress and behave.
In most cases you should be fine with some French type of Slipjoint like a Laguiole or the many different local knife types.
Paris may be a different story, especially after the latest terrorist attacks. I personally wouldn't carry any knife in Paris, not even a SAK.
You can find a detailed summary of the French law here:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... Law-Basics
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

MarcusH wrote:The French knife laws are a bit confusing and I found them not entirely clearcut, a lot depends on your personal appearance and the way you dress and behave.
Interesting how some things are Universal no matter where you go.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I could help you :D

Concerning the law in France if you totally want to respect the law it's slip joint only. (Pingo, SAK, ...)

But I'm wearing all kind knives since my childhood.

As everywhere, terrorists or bad people will have bigger stuff/weapon than you...
So I don't really care and wear what I own !

But if I know there is a risk where I'm going, I take a slip joint and/or a small locking blade and/or a SAK.
Or one with no much value.

You can also come with not much knives and find some nice stuff in a retailer somewhere. It will add something for the memory of your time in France.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask ;)

Where are you going if I can ask ? (for the week after Paris)
Enjoy your time there ! :cool:

@Sal, Does France will have "his" knife model ? following our restrictions. (like the Pingo for example)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
MattinLA

Post by MattinLA »

So I guess I'm wrong, but doesn't Fred Perrin make anything he and his fellow countrymen could carry?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm pretty sure most of Perrin's designs are viewed as "military and LEO only" kind of stuff in France.

Nasgul, aside from Paris we are going to Giverny, Amboise, Rouen, St Malo, and Mont Saint-Michel. Basically, we are taking the kids to see some of the historic sites that are within easy driving distance of Paris--Monet's garden, Da Vinci's house, Omaha Beach, and some others.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

There is not only Fred Perrin as a French maker.
I don't know well is stuff.
I do prefer other French maker, an example not far from F.Perrin, Sacha Thiel ! I love his stuff ! Citizen and Officer are awesome !!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

You are going to nice places ! Good choices!
About historic site, when you'll be to St Malo, there is "Les bunkers de la cité d Alet" (a bit outiside the city)
You'll see there clutch with impact and see how hard those stuff was hit. :eek: :eek: :eek:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9mo ... nt-Malo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy your French trip !!! :cool:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D