Want first Salt H1 knife, help me decide...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JediKnight86

Want first Salt H1 knife, help me decide...

Post by JediKnight86 »

**** all. I'm back on :spyder: 's with my new orange Military on the way. I've decided it's time to finally get a Salt. I really want to try the H1 and beat the crap out of it and leave it at the bottom of my pool :D

Which is the fav around here?
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Read lionstooth review,this one says it all.http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37647 Post#1
JBE

Post by JBE »

Not sure if it would be the true "favorite" but the Salt 1 gets a lot of mention around here.
Jason
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

tasman SE
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

aebfroman wrote:tasman SE
yepper! the tasman se is one fine knife. it is pretty much perfect as is. look at a river city sheath for increased carry options.
tkdman41

Post by tkdman41 »

I am a huge fan of the salt 1 but could see going with the pacific salt if you like to cary a larger blade.
Endura ZDP-189 CE | Endura Wave CE | Salt 1 PE | Centofante 3 PE | Tenacious PE | Tenacious SE | MT02 Second | MT03 | JD Smith | Caly 3 ZDP-189 CF | Bill Moran | Military | Tasman PE | Stretch 2 CF | Endura | Delica | Dragon Fly
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I love my salt one, If you get one you wont regret it! :cool:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

I really like the Mariner Salt. It doesn't get a lot of attention on here, but I really like it a lot.

Here is a review I did a while back on it:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36749

I'll probably pick another H1 blade this summer, this time a PE model.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

tkdman41 wrote:I am a huge fan of the salt 1 but could see going with the pacific salt if you like to cary a larger blade.
I do carry Enduras more than Delicas so I'm leaning Pacific. At the same time I want a hawksbill blade.
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

I have a tasman SE and salt 1 SE. I love them both, and one or the other gets carried with me every day (or has since I got them at least). Either one is a great choice!!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

if length is not an issue, i'd say serrated pacific salt.

if length is an issue, serrated salt I.

yellow, of course... :D

a tasman SE is also a great idea... also love the aqua salt as an EDC fixed blade...

you'll probably find that serrated H1 holds a much better edge than PE H1... until you get a couple years of work hardening in on the PE...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

SE Tasman Salt all the way!
get yellow so you can dive for it in your pool ;) haha
Tank

Post by Tank »

Definatly the Tasman SE..
-John
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

clovisc wrote: you'll probably find that serrated H1 holds a much better edge than PE H1... until you get a couple years of work hardening in on the PE...
What do you mean work hardening? I understand why serrated would hold a better edge because of the principles of the teeth making less work for the cutting edge, but they're limited in uses.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Get a Tasman!!!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I just got a Pacific Salt. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it certainly looks and feels nice.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

JediKnight86 wrote:What do you mean work hardening? I understand why serrated would hold a better edge because of the principles of the teeth making less work for the cutting edge, but they're limited in uses.
H1's edge holding properties actually improve as you stress the steel through everyday use. something about the molecular bonds? sounds crazy, but its true... you can search the forums here for more sophisticated explainations.

i believe that the extra amount of work that goes into producing the serrated edge... as well as the rock salt (and to some extent, the aqua salt), seems to work-harden these blades more before they arrive, ready for your pocket. meaning that they will hold an edge longer, and give higher performance.

i've got some salts with 3 and 4 years of hard use on them -- they're incredible knives. :D

a well-maintained serrated edge can do anything a plain edge can do.

serrated H1 can also cut open cans. which seems to help expediate work hardening... :D

welcome to the crazy, awesome world of H1.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

yowzer wrote:I just got a Pacific Salt. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it certainly looks and feels nice.
Plain edge or spyder edge?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

you could always fix your 'which salt to buy?' dilemma by buying them all... :D
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

clovisc wrote:you could always fix your 'which salt to buy?' dilemma by buying them all... :D
If only ;)
clovisc wrote:H1's edge holding properties actually improve as you stress the steel through everyday use. something about the molecular bonds? sounds crazy, but its true... you can search the forums here for more sophisticated explainations.

i believe that the extra amount of work that goes into producing the serrated edge... as well as the rock salt (and to some extent, the aqua salt), seems to work-harden these blades more before they arrive, ready for your pocket. meaning that they will hold an edge longer, and give higher performance.

i've got some salts with 3 and 4 years of hard use on them -- they're incredible knives. :D

a well-maintained serrated edge can do anything a plain edge can do.

serrated H1 can also cut open cans. which seems to help expediate work hardening... :D

welcome to the crazy, awesome world of H1.
Ok thanks for the info! When I say limited I'm talking about mostly bushcraft things. Serrated isn't great with wood, like making steaks or spears, can't do forward angled push cuts especially with the serrations being on the inside egde.