Vesuvius as MBC knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
copilotboy

Vesuvius as MBC knife

Post by copilotboy »

I just received my Centofante Vesuvius a few days ago and after just my initial impressions and observations, I was wondering why it wasn't considered an MBC knife.

Given the compression lock and ATS-34 'high speed' steel it seems like one to me.

What do you guys think? Does anybody carry one as such? Could I take it to MBC classes and have a good use for it?
Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Wow, I can't believe no one has replied yet. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw a post where this was mentioned before. I think the reason why its not listed as MBC is because the compresson lock is thinner and the FRN handles would have too much flex, so the lock won't stand up to MBC lock standards. I think....

Flinx
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

I thought others would have responded..
This isn't really my area of expertice..as to why its not MBC...
It wasn't designed as an MBC knife -tool..It was designed as an EDC..
That doesn't mean you can't use it for your EDC with MBC intentions..ANY edged tool can be put into MBC usage..MBC is a way of doing & using the tools..Some tools are designed specificaly for this purpose, that doesn't mean that other edged tools cannot be used.

Don't confuse the way of doing something with the tools designed to do it..These are two different elements and cannot be interchanged for each other.

Plus if you carry a Centofante Vesuvius you have to use another drone in class anyways..There are no Vesuvius drones in existence...
You'd have to use the Delica and Endura drones...
You are not going to use a live blade in class...
and the way of using it will translate to your Vesuvius....

Does that answer your question?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Copilotboy:

Sorry for the delay in responding... been in Canada on a business trip and am desperately trying to catch up.

The overall design of the Vesuvius is very MBC friendly -- nicely shaped handle, good edge and point profiles, and reversible clip for convenient carry. It is also one of the smoothest opening Spydercos I've tried.

The only downside to this design is the thin blade and lock stock compared to other designs. Although the compression lock is an excellent design and would serve this knife well for EDC use, I don't know how the thinner blade and lock would stand up to ballistic cutting. I would feel better about recommending it if I knew how the lock strength of the Vesuvius compares to that of a Delica or Endura. If it is comparable, I'd say go for it. Unfortunately, I don't have that data. Perhaps someone at Spyderco central can help us out???????

One great benefit of the compression lock is that it is not prone to catastrophic failure. In other words, if the lock gives, the knife still will no close on your hand --the major concern with an MBC folder.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your patience.

Stay safe,

mike j