Another "Frankenhand" Update

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

Another "Frankenhand" Update

Post by raven »

Hey All, WOW ... Where to begin??? I guess All I Can Say Is THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF THE PRAYERS, GOOD THOUGHTS, KIND WORDS, ADVICE, and ENCOURAGEMENT. It's All Very Much Appreciated ;) .

I went for my follow up visit with the Orthipedic Doctor that did my surgeries and ........... HE RELEASED ME TO GO BACK ON-DUTY AS OF AUGUST 3, 2008 AT 1600 HRS :D :p ;) !!! Music to my ears and a TON of Joy :p . My Lovely Girlfriend and I went up and met with the doctor and he said I was released to do whatever I like too. He was very impressed with the progress I've made this far. I have to give Credit to The Lord, Prayer, and My Physical Therapists ... They Do An INCREDIBLE JOB and Don't Get Thanked Nearly Enough As They Should ;) .

I have to continue my PT, which I plan on doing until my hand is 100%, but I get to finally ride my bike ... Of course I will not be competing for a while yet ... even though the Doc said I could. I need to really get my Mental Strength Back As Well before racing again. I think I need to give my mind a rest from all the stress of WONDERING WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN OR IF I WOULD EVER BE ABLE TO USE IT AGAIN.

AGAIN, I THANK YOU ALL VERY DEEPLY FOR EVERYTHING ;) . There are 2 Knifebros that really Kept Me Together and kept me having a real Positive Attitude.

THANK YOU STONYMAN AND DAYWALKER ;) !!! I mention the 2, because they really kept my Spirits up and kept checking on me when I felt like just giving up and not pushing forward.

JspyEDC, Thank You for the Gift and Incredible Gesture ... It's My New EDC ;) .

The Mastiff and KaliGman, Thank Your for all the Advice and Words of Encouragement ... having been in my shoes yourselves.

YOU ALL AS A FAMILY ARE JUST AWESOME ... YOU ROCK!!!

Take Good Care All and Be Safe Aways.

God Bless All :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

Congrats.
You sound like you hate sitting @ home, just like me.
Take care.
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
araneae

Post by araneae »

Good news. Now go ride your bike!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
KaliGman

Great news

Post by KaliGman »

I'm glad that you are getting released back to regular duty. After an injury and wanting to still do your job, light duty can really drag on you, at least it did me. Take care, and let us know if you need something.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

Great news! :D

Good to hear you're doing well and about to return to duty. I'm sitting here staring at my Fisher Paragon and Specialized Sequoia gathering more Mojave dust pondering the incisions in my knee from Monday's surgery and wondering when I'll be able to ride or if I'll ever be able to ride pain free again. Light duty inhales briskly and forcefully but not riding is the official definition of sucking. Hope you riding is safe and painless and hope you're back to competing soon. You've already got the mental part - just need to dust it off and hone it like a fine Spydie you haven't used for a spell. Ride strong! Ride long! (and turn in a couple brisk miles of technical singletrack for me while you're out there ;) )

J
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Great news bro.............any doubt? :rolleyes: Go ride for the sheer pleasure and joy of getting back on the bike. No hills and bumps, just road miles, for now! :D Glad to hear that it is now official. Congrats, rejoice for the deliverance. God Bless You and that wonderful girlfriend of yours. ;)
dete

Post by dete »

a story from Grappler Baki...

there was this kid that inherited a Yakuza clan, at the age of like 15.
Anyway he is huge, built like a mammoth. And it was the clan's tradition to get a certain full back tattoo piece from a certain tattoo master.
After it was done, they asked the kid what he thought, and the kid replied that it wasn't finished. The tattoo master got really upset, he felt like the kid just insulted his art work. The kid disappeared after that and the following day came back all messed up. Bullet holes, knife wounds, bruised and a bloody mess, turns out that the kid invaded a rival Yakuza clan by himself and wiped them out, after doing this, then he said, now it's finished. The proud tattoo master apologized to the kid as he saw his artwork with the addition of horrific wounds on it.

What I'm trying to say, is that these new scars is all a part of you and it shows character. You almost wanted to give up, not many things in life push you that far and leave a nice reminder so that all you need to do when things get tough is simply look at your hand and grin in the face of adversity.

take care :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks for the updates Raven. I've been wondering how you were coming along. I have to admit I didn't think you would be released to full duty this soon. You are still healing, released or not.

Keep up with the exercises for awhile, and don't over do anything. I made that mistake and ended up having to have another surgery, and then another rehab again.

I too marvel at the physical therapists I've dealt with. Dealing not only with the injuries, and healing but also the person , and whatever things make that person what he/she is, both good and bad.

I had to learn the hard way, and found out the therapist had been right the whole time. When I came back the second time with problems she had predicted she never once said "I told you so". Sharp kid that one. I know I can be a difficult patient. I've learned to listen better now though.

I sure used to think I knew everything, and was indistructible. Used to.

Good luck, and keep on keepin on brother Raven. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Good to hear that things are going well for you, Bro. :)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

:) So happy for you.
Praise Him!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

You've come a very long way in what seems to be a not-so-long period of time! glad to hear you'll be back in the saddle raven!! :D :D :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."