What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Giygas

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by Giygas »

AG Russell Acies.

This one has been pretty surprising. Really similar to an Inkosi, but with much lighter lockbar pressure and even worse thumbstuds.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
CharlieFox42

Post by CharlieFox42 »

Either a Vic Cadet or Classic...or both!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Has anyone bought the Chaves 229 Kickstop?
I keep thinking about that. But, at $400 - that's bordering Hinderer & CRK territory...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear CharlieFox42:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Finally got my ZT 0460 sharpened. I had read that these were often dull out of the box, but this was absolute crazy dull. With Spydercos I just sharpen with the factory bevel, but this thing's edge had way too much angle. It was second-hand, supposedly unused, but I suspect the previous owner changed the edge to what I received.

In any case, I love some of the Sinkevich designs, and got this for 1/2 price, so I'm happy.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

So what did you sharpen it to? What degree, what type of abrasives?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:23 pm
I first used a Medium Spyderco stone and after a normal amount of time on it for a 'new' blade, it looked good to the naked eye, so I stropped with Gunny Juice 1um. There was no improvement so I louped it and realized immediately that I should always loup the edge before I start sharpening, even if the knife is new. My eyesight just isn't getting it done anymore. The weird new combined edge was disheartening :smiling-cheeks . It's hard to believe that new knife blades are sent out with such edges designed into them - I'm thinking this one might have just been a mistake, or, like other ZT owners have said (it's my first), they just arrive 'dull', which means 'have to be sharpened from scratch.'

I don't know what degree it was or is - normally I can feel the edge by using the Spyderco stone with some cleaner sprayed on (or water) - you get a 'suction' as you sharpen. In this instance I used it dry and I never 'felt' the edge, so went to spray cleaner and still didn't feel it. After louping it I could see that the original bevel was very steep. At that point I got out an orange diamond stone and got after it, putting a less obtuse bevel on it. Kept checking until I had gotten rid of the original angle, then went back to the medium Spyderco Stone, then stropped with Gunny Juice 1um again, and the edge was very nice. It could stand to be a touch sharper, but at least I know that I can revive such blades.

I will add that I only use the orange diamond stone for 'new' steels, and only if the Spyderco stones are taking too long. For softer old steels I only use the Spyderco stones. Almost all of my old fixed blades and slip joints are old carbon steel (1920's-1960's). I may go back to Arkansas stones for them, but the Spydie stones have been great, but a little slow at times.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I've been wanting to ask you: since you have a few CRK's, do you have a Gayle Bradley Advocate? I do, and love it. When I have considered buying a CRK I always compare to the Advocate, and haven't found one that really does it for me. Curious about your thoughts on this.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Day off work and just putting around town

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:43 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I've been wanting to ask you: since you have a few CRK's, do you have a Gayle Bradley Advocate? I do, and love it. When I have considered buying a CRK I always compare to the Advocate, and haven't found one that really does it for me. Curious about your thoughts on this.
I'm sorry, I do not and have not. The Advocate never appealed to me. Big fan of the CRK's...after I put my own edge on them.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:55 am
HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:43 am

I'm sorry, I do not and have not. The Advocate never appealed to me. Big fan of the CRK's...after I put my own edge on them.
Okay, thanks. I've stared at every CRK offered for sale on BF, but just can't pull the trigger. If I get one it's going to have to be one that I will use, which is why I'm stuck comparing them to the Advocate.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:04 am
I keep thinking about that. But, at $400 - that's bordering Hinderer & CRK territory...
Not sure if you got any feedback. I handled a couple today. They seem incredibly well made and their tanto blade is about the best that I have seen. I EDC'd a SOG Tanto for several years before I got on this knife hobby train. Haven't thought about one since until seeing theirs today. Looks like a great hollow grind with a smooth curving transition to the thicker tip.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:07 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Not sure if you got any feedback. I handled a couple today. They seem incredibly well made and their tanto blade is about the best that I have seen. I EDC'd a SOG Tanto for several years before I got on this knife hobby train. Haven't thought about one since until seeing theirs today. Looks like a great hollow grind with a smooth curving transition to the thicker tip.
Wow. Thank you, Jeff..
That's sounds really good.
I've had a Chaves 229 once before but, it wasn't the Lee Williams Kickstand flipper. But, it was really nice.
Think I may just have to snag one....
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

MacLaren wrote:
I got one recently. It's my first Chaves but have to say very impressed. Best flipper I have in terms of action. I also have CRK's and in the past had a XM18. It's comparing apple's to oranges if you ask me. What surprised me most is how well the Chaves slices for a thick blade.

And ofcourse the build quality....made by Reate 👌
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:51 am
MacLaren wrote:
I got one recently. It's my first Chaves but have to say very impressed. Best flipper I have in terms of action. I also have CRK's and in the past had a XM18. It's comparing apple's to oranges if you ask me. What surprised me most is how well the Chaves slices for a thick blade.

And ofcourse the build quality....made by Reate 👌
Thank you, Paul.
China or not, the build quality is there it seems.
The Chaves I had before was made very well.
Really think I'm gonna get one...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:40 pm
Oh shoot, there it is.

What do you think of Benchmade's first $500 blue class knife?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:22 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:40 pm
Oh shoot, there it is.

What do you think of Benchmade's first $500 blue class knife?
I really like super thin knives, and this thing is next level, maybe a league of it's own. Somehow there are bearings in there, and somehow they were able to mill out the inside of the handles in addition to the milling on the outside. The lockup and rigidity feels SOLID, it really doesn't make sense. Pictures and videos just can't explain how thin and light it is. We'll see how it stands up to EDC use, but I'm not going to be prying with this one lol.

It's certainly the opposite of a bulbus contoured handle, and it feels slightly cramped compared to the smaller Bugout. However, in hand it all works and this thing SLICES, despite Benchmade's classic saber grind. It was also the sharpest Benchmade I've taken delivery of in memory, including the Taggedout. Not a huge fan of all the blue on this one for some reason, and swapping the clip toned it down for me. If this thing hangs around a long time I might strip all the blue down to silver.

As for the price, I was waiting for a second hand deal after handling one last week... but at 30% off from the Focus Camera deal I'd say that price made sense for what is essentially new territory. USA made Ti knives are pricey.