Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Why is the Kapara so overlooked ?

Post by TomAiello »

I own both the 20cv and standard version. I really like the Kapara, and carry one quite frequently.
brj

Post by brj »

Not mine, it must be one of my most carried Spydercos and also one of my favorite food prep knives.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:19 pm
Not mine, it must be one of my most carried Spydercos and also one of my favorite food prep knives.

For a still general utility folder and for its compact closed size the Kapara works absolutely great in food prep indeed!
(Aside from tasks where a taller blade would be preferable, but then the Kapara would loose its supernice slim carry).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Think I’m gonna be on the lookout for a 20cv version and add some micarta scales 🤔
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Well it is no secret that I love it...
But it was basically unobtanium for a while even now you barely see any in the shops in Europe (not even talking about the price), coupled with only one sprint run whereas standard models received tons it basically just got drowned out.
This isn't just kapara specific. People will buy what they know and like. So if you have 10+ sprint runs in a year of the standard models and a special model is produced in already smaller numbers and not as readily available the special model will just not sell as well.
Add to that the financial situation of most people over the last 5-7 years...

Personally I would love a Magnacut/frn salt version, but I guess I will just wait for the slipjoint and the maybe the mini version.