Blade HQ Shaman exclusive coming, green micarta and DLC steel? (M4)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WRB

Re: Blade HQ Shaman exclusive coming, green micarta and DLC steel? (M4)

Post by WRB »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:16 am
Bigger order or slower seller? Some clarification on this would be great. I think every run should come with a production number instead of just guessing and assuming.
Pretty sure I remember Sal saying a while back that they were going to require bigger orders in the future. Looking at recent exclusives I'd say the future is now.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Im resisting temptation. I have the satin version and the knifecenter burlap. I will only add a 3rd shaman in magnacut, k390, or lc200n!
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Amazing its still in stock the next morning!.....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

2 years ago that would have sold out in less than 2 minutes. I think inflation, of everything we buy, has also slowed things down as well. Let's face it, these knives are luxury items. Many people are struggling to pay bills and keep food on the table. Not to mention the disaster of child care, or even trying to find it.

I've noticed many members here have slowed down a bit, the knife guys I work with haven't been coming in with new knives lately either.

All that said, I am surprised it's still available this morning. Had it been other places that don't charge tax as well, it may have sold quicker. I personally avoid BHQ these days because of that.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:42 am
2 years ago that would have sold out in less than 2 minutes. I think inflation, of everything we buy, has also slowed things down as well. Let's face it, these knives are luxury items. Many people are struggling to pay bills and keep food on the table. Not to mention the disaster of child care, or even trying to find it.

I've noticed many members here have slowed down a bit, the knife guys I work with haven't been coming in with new knives lately either.

All that said, I am surprised it's still available this morning. Had it been other places that don't charge tax as well, it may have sold quicker. I personally avoid BHQ these days because of that.
I wasn’t in line for this for many reasons, but I believe you are right on the money with your assertions. Personally, I have narrowed my collection down to 13 or so Spydercos, in my favorite designs and steels. Add to this, my handful of small edc and large hard use use fixed blades that I have also narrowed down over the past year, there’s really nothing production I would spend this much money on right now.

I’m still in the knife game, but I’m thinking it may become a once or twice a year purchase of custom fixed blades, unless some new folder design comes out that just does something better than everything I already own. I feel like many that I interact with are having similar feelings these days with the market being so over saturated with quality production knives at entry level price points.

Just my two cents.
Slightly obsessed…
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

This is the 6th micarta Shaman? Most die hards have at least one by now. I don't see this one being flipped as much either.

I just liked the green Black, definitely better than jade.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ended up pulling the trigger on this, might have to let some others go.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
unified

Post by unified »

I picked one up as well. Will be my first experience with M4, but my 3rd Shaman lol. Have the standard stonewash S30V, and the KC S90V/Burlap micarta. It's the only model I have multiples of
:bug-red Shaman #1 :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:16 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:38 pm
Still in stock. I've said it on other recent drops, but it's awesome that companies are doing bigger orders now. Discourages flippers, and everyone who wanted one had the opportunity.

Bigger order or slower seller? Some clarification on this would be great. I think every run should come with a production number instead of just guessing and assuming.
True, I am assuming this is selling well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:42 am
Inflation,gas,groceries, all of it. It is hard to spent close to 300 bills when the bills have increased so much. I like you just can’t buy every exclusive anymore. It’s a shame because I loved the thrill of tapping refresh lol jk.
Side note this is one of the nicest from BladeHQ tho.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I was one of the first to order it should arrive tomorrow. I was up in the air because I just bought the S90v burlap exclusive but the M4 with the Green just called to me . M4 is some of the stickiest sharpest steel I have ever come across and I love it.
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

Seems the market has spoken
:usflag :respect
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

At $260 + tax, that can't leave much room for a flipper to make a quick profit. And with the economy, those flippers are probably seeing that it's getting harder and harder to make that sale. So.... did inflation get us to a price/economy that will keep flippers away?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:36 am
At $260 + tax, that can't leave much room for a flipper to make a quick profit. And with the economy, those flippers are probably seeing that it's getting harder and harder to make that sale. So.... did inflation get us to a price/economy that will keep flippers away?
Haha! This is exactly what happened! Heck, there are still flippers trying to sell the first BHQ Micarta shaman!
"Some call me...Tim?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Inflation and the state of the economy is nightmare. I'm not happy about it. But aside from that obvious thing, this knife is going to sell out, people who wanted to get one had a chance (again at a higher price than it would have been 3 years ago), and most importantly flippers won't be able to keep anyone from getting one, or gouge anyone who isn't extremely late to the party. BHQ and Spyderco get paid, we get the cool knives, flippers get hosed. A positive aspect of a very negative situation with the economy. There's a severe shortage of silver linings these days, I'll take what I can.

I would like to know how big the run was too.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The run was probably 1200 - 2400. If I recall correctly, before Spyderco put an all out freeze on ordering exclusives, they implemented a larger minimum number of pieces per order. It seems like we’re seeing the effects of that with many recent exclusives now too.
- Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

On a related note :beaming-face

troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Man that does look really good!
unified

Post by unified »

Got mine today! Really well done. The canvas micarta feels amazing contoured like this. Plus it's a real looker. Pic with my other shamen

:bug-red Shaman #1 :bug-red
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

Looks awesome! The green looks a lot less green Micarta than I thought it would be! Or is that just because of the photos?