Steels you won't buy...and why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Steels you won't buy...and why

Post by Bolster »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:46 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:22 pm
mb1 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:51 am
AEB-L. Hate it.

Why? Lack of edge holding?
Yeah really just personal preference. I’ve had several knives in it. It’s just thoroughly unremarkable to me. For basic carbon steel level edge retention I’d rather have a nice patina.

Makes sense. Glad you posted; I've been sorta-kinda considering AEB-L but a post such as yours makes me re-evaluate. Like you, I think I'd prefer the patina.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m another user who shies away from steels that are too corrosion-prone, too brittle, or too soft. The good carbon steel knives I own were all gifted to me. I appreciate their virtues but I only buy stainless knives (exception being machetes because it’s the only option and I needed them for work on the property).

Beyond that, Spyderco doesn’t offer any knives in steel I consider to be junk. Even the 8Cr on my Byrd rescue knife is perfectly adequate and the knife was a bargain.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

mb1 wrote:
AEB-L. Hate it.
Gets sharp enough for me…. 🤬

396AA4E2-E073-4AED-8F0B-0AAD5256DBCB.jpeg
The result of sloppy one-hand closing my AEB-L Urban, my chosen package knife for the morning. But not the afternoon!
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

(removed: I accidentally replied to this topic by mistake)
Current Collection
Chaparral LW, Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Zive

Post by Zive »

CTS-XHP:

Corrosion resistance is on-par with some tool steels

Carbides are (virtually) exclusively chromium-based and as a result toughness is relatively low

Commands a premium price despite these drawbacks

I know I’d love the design and stock thickness, but refuse to purchase a Chaparral until the steel is revised to something else.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:12 pm
mb1 wrote:
AEB-L. Hate it.

The result of sloppy one-hand closing my AEB-L Urban, my chosen package knife for the morning. But not the afternoon!
Ouch! One of those moments when you wish for a do-over.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Zive wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:47 pm
CTS-XHP:

Carbides are (virtually) exclusively chromium-based and as a result toughness is relatively low

I know I’d love the design and stock thickness, but refuse to purchase a Chaparral until the steel is revised to something else.
Just curious, what steel would you prefer on a Chaparral? I love CTS-XHP (although edge retention and stainless are my most important properties of a steel; toughness is least), but would also love to see more steel choices on the Chaparral.
Current Collection
Chaparral LW, Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:46 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:22 pm
mb1 wrote:
AEB-L. Hate it.

Why? Lack of edge holding?
Yeah really just personal preference. I’ve had several knives in it. It’s just thoroughly unremarkable to me. For basic carbon steel level edge retention I’d rather have a nice patina.
Mark, I think your opinion would change if you tried it with different HT, geometry and water-cooled grinding with a hand sharpened edge with low angles.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:10 pm
Mark, I think your opinion would change if you tried it with different HT, geometry and water-cooled grinding with a hand sharpened edge with low angles.

So run hard, thin and grinded cool? What is the ideal HRC for AEB-L in an 8-inch .088" Chef's Knife vs 4.5-inch .145" Camp Knife? My numbers are just random, but ideal HRC for Thin Slicey Chef's Knife vs "Do-it-all" Camp Knife in AEB-L, in your experience?
So it goes.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:36 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:12 pm
mb1 wrote:
AEB-L. Hate it.

Ouch! One of those moments when you wish for a do-over.
For sure. If I squeeze my eyes shut hard enough, it won’t be as bad as it feels…
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Zive wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:47 pm
CTS-XHP:

What was the benefits of xhp over s30v, besides the fact that it's not s30v?

I'd take a chaparral in something stainless with high edge stability. Thin blade and thin edge, yes please
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’m probably not buying S110V or Maxamet. I wouldn’t choose S30V (though my resistance to the Amalgam is growing weaker,) S45VN (I’d prefer S35VN) or XHP (don’t care for it in the Chap or Chief.) I think most of the other production steels are good enough for me if they compliment the design/expected uses.

Edited for clarity, I hope ;)
Last edited by Burton Knut on Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Burton Knut wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 am
I’m probably not buying S110V or Maxamet. I wouldn’t choose S30V (though my resistance to the Amalgam is growing weaker,) S45V or XHP (don’t care for it in the Chap or Chief.) I think most of the other production steels are good enough for me if they compliment the design/expected uses.
Did you mean Rex 45? I'm not sure the Chief has come in S45VN. If so, I want to know where it is. I need that.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:23 am
Burton Knut wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 am
I’m probably not buying S110V or Maxamet. I wouldn’t choose S30V (though my resistance to the Amalgam is growing weaker,) S45V or XHP (don’t care for it in the Chap or Chief.) I think most of the other production steels are good enough for me if they compliment the design/expected uses.
Did you mean Rex 45? I'm not sure the Chief has come in S45VN. If so, I want to know where it is. I need that.
I meant S45VN and was referring to XHP in the Chap and Chief. I only have S45VN in a Mule, but I believe it’s now a production offering in some Golden models.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

In order for me to dismiss a steel entirely i would need 3 different samples of lackluster execution. And each sample would need 7 new edges minimally. And all attempts have failed to produce an enjoyable experience. Right now i have no steel that has ever come remotely close. I dont blame composition, i blame myself if i cant adapt accordingly. If a model comes along that catches my eye im going to buy it.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Zive

Post by Zive »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:44 pm

Just curious, what steel would you prefer on a Chaparral? I love CTS-XHP (although edge retention and stainless are my most important properties of a steel; toughness is least), but would also love to see more steel choices on the Chaparral.
That’s a good question. Also want to clarify that I’m not trying to “yuck anyone’s yum.” If XHP performs well for you I’m not here to change your mind.

I’m only one sharpening in on my Mule but from what I’ve experience with MagnaCut I think it would make an excellent successor to XHP. I’ll have to double-check about ease of sharpening but it has better corrosion resistance and toughness than XHP and can achieve the same hardness.

What do you think? Is there something you’d rather see in the Chaparral format?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:57 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

So run hard, thin and grinded cool? What is the ideal HRC for AEB-L in an 8-inch .088" Chef's Knife vs 4.5-inch .145" Camp Knife? My numbers are just random, but ideal HRC for Thin Slicey Chef's Knife vs "Do-it-all" Camp Knife in AEB-L, in your experience?
60-62 for the camp knife

63+ for the kitchen
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Zive

Post by Zive »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:13 pm
60-62 for the camp knife

63+ for the kitchen
Really hope Sal comes through with a new AEB-L release following your HT protocol.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:13 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:57 am
Deadboxhero wrote:

60-62 for the camp knife

63+ for the kitchen

Thank you for the information! I know lots of custom makers really like AEB-L, so it's good to have a reference.
So it goes.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I'm a decent sharpener. I ain't no Shawn Houston or Michael Christy and I never will be. Nor do I want to invest in the tools required to maintain some of these steels. I have a broad range of sharpening gear for sure and I do go down that rabbit hole but I'm not diving into stones costing hundreds dollars for pocket knives. I simply don't have the need these days. So I won't buy a steel I don't feel I have the best equipment and/or the skill to sharpen properly. I also like to thin and play around with my blades so I'm attracted to steels that are amicable to that.

K390, Maxamet, Rex, etc. are out.

I can geek out over a carbon knife in my kitchen but not in my folding pocket knives. The benefits that carbon steels bring are just not something I value in a folding pocket knife so they are largely out as well.

I'll take a Manix 2 LW in BD1 or a Dragonfly 2 in VG10 all day. And yes, I've tried a bunch of different steels. I just know what works for me, my needs, and my ability to get the most from my knives.

But I also celebrate the diversity of options and Spyderco's enthusiastic exploration of these different steels!