Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

JD Spydo

Re: Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by JD Spydo »

max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:08 am
It seems the stars have been aligning quite nicely for the Spyderhawk to proudly rise from the ashes again... In the meantime I got a generous offer from a member on here for a orange one nib so that will satisfy my urges for the time being. Then there's the Merlin and the Tasman 1 and the g10 Harpy etc... enough white buck to chase for now.
For the record I voted yes 3 times. :winking-tongue
Going by the numbers Spyderhawk launched in 2003, around 2010 came the yellow one and again 7 years later came the sprint run so 2025 maybe? Let's hope I'm totally wrong...
Yeah I've noticed that myself that the SPYDERHAWK and SUPERHAWK models both have been getting more attention here of late. And I think your timeline on the later runs of the SPYDERHAWK are very accurate from what I remember. It was Brother "Clovisc" who used to be on here a lot more>> he made the suggestion to Sal to bring back the SPYDERHAWK with H-1 Blade steel and they did and they had moderate success with it too>> and that was around 2010-2011.

I've still got my VG-10 Spyderhawks from that 2003 line up and it's the SE version of the VG-10 model I've been using the most.

I'm still not going to give up on the possibility of a SUPERHAWK in full SE. To this day I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't offer the SUPERHAWK in full SE????
max808

Post by max808 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:27 pm
max808 wrote:
It seems the stars have been aligning quite nicely for the Spyderhawk to proudly rise from the ashes again... In the meantime I got a generous offer from a member on here for a orange one nib so that will satisfy my urges for the time being. Then there's the Merlin and the Tasman 1 and the g10 Harpy etc... enough white buck to chase for now.
Going by the numbers Spyderhawk launched in 2003, around 2010 came the yellow one and again 7 years later came the sprint run so 2025 maybe? Let's hope I'm totally wrong...
Yeah I've noticed that myself that the SPYDERHAWK and SUPERHAWK models both have been getting more attention here of late. And I think your timeline on the later runs of the SPYDERHAWK are very accurate from what I remember. It was Brother "Clovisc" who used to be on here a lot more>> he made the suggestion to Sal to bring back the SPYDERHAWK with H-1 Blade steel and they did and they had moderate success with it too>> and that was around 2010-2011.

I've still got my VG-10 Spyderhawks from that 2003 line up and it's the SE version of the VG-10 model I've been using the most.

I'm still not going to give up on the possibility of a SUPERHAWK in full SE. To this day I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't offer the SUPERHAWK in full SE????
Truly remarkable how this forum is treated so gracefully by Spyderco as a company, clever of them to communicate so intimately with their loyal fanbase on here and a big thank you to Brother Clovisc for spearheading this effort back in the day. Perhaps someone could convince him to step into the light once more and work his magic...

That OG spyderhawk in VG-10 sounds pretty sweet, saw you refer to them in plural so you already know what's coming next right... in case you had a black FRN one laying around that needs a new owner I could be that guy. Do forgive my bold marketing, it's just that I came to accept the fact that I won't find that lil matriarch any time soon so might as well start a new branch of the family.

A fully serrated superhawk would be a sight to behold and a hot ticket for sure. Which brings us back to the serrated hawkbill stigma and the fact that it scares most people senseless and most companies don't want that type of connotation. The exception being Spyderco and a couple others maybe who seem to believe that the hawkbill as a tool is undeniable. Thank God but especially Sal for that. :bug-red-white
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

max808 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:07 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:27 pm
max808 wrote:

Truly remarkable how this forum is treated so gracefully by Spyderco as a company, clever of them to communicate so intimately with their loyal fanbase on here and a big thank you to Brother Clovisc for spearheading this effort back in the day. Perhaps someone could convince him to step into the light once more and work his magic...

That OG spyderhawk in VG-10 sounds pretty sweet, saw you refer to them in plural so you already know what's coming next right... in case you had a black FRN one laying around that needs a new owner I could be that guy. Do forgive my bold marketing, it's just that I came to accept the fact that I won't find that lil matriarch any time soon so might as well start a new branch of the family.

A fully serrated superhawk would be a sight to behold and a hot ticket for sure. Which brings us back to the serrated hawkbill stigma and the fact that it scares most people senseless and most companies don't want that type of connotation. The exception being Spyderco and a couple others maybe who seem to believe that the hawkbill as a tool is undeniable. Thank God but especially Sal for that. :bug-red-white
I'll start with your last one to be first. I.E. a possible full SE SUPERHAWK. For the life of me I never understood why they did this great Superhawk model in plain edge only>> I say "great" because I personally know of so many people who really loved that design. And when you find out how few of the HARPY model were made or even sold in PE ( probably less than 3%) it's super hard to understand why they didn't offer it in full SE from the get-go. I seriously doubt if they did more than 3% of the HARPY model in PE in the past 25 years.

I've ran threads on this forum at least 3 times in the past 10 years asking what people use their plain edged Hawkbills for. I got very few responses each time. On the other hand the amount of uses that I've heard that people use serrated Hawkbills for I could literally write a book about. So with all of that said I'm perplexed as to why Spyderco didn't offer all of their Hawkbill models primarily in full SE. Just being curious>> not trying to be critical at all. With my blue VG-10 PE SPYDERHAWK I seriously doubt if I've ever used it more than 3 to 5 times ever since I bought it in 2003. It's strictly become a sentimental keeper and not a blade I use much at all. I doubt I'll ever buy another PE Hawkbill blade again.

I believe they would have sold at least 8 to 10 times more of the SUPERHAWK model had it been offered in full SE>> I'm certain of it. It would have been one of my primary "USER" models if I had one in full SE. A serrated Sprint Run of the SUPERHAWK would sell out fast I'm sure.
max808

Post by max808 »

Allow me to start a fresh line so as to not make these pages too long. Regarding your blue spyderhawk, if it's one of the 300 marked ones I got a feeling that was a really good investment considering its modest MSRP back then.

When it comes to teeth I'll just come clean and admit that there is not a single plain edge spydie in my collection. That spyderedged police ss was my first introduction to Spyderco and serrations will always be an integral part of my affinity for the brand.

Also their backlock and one handed closing choil are features that I couldn't live without. Just make sure your index finger is positioned high enough on the handle (in case someone hasn't tried this method yet). And less greasy fingers on that blank VG-10 which is always a plus in my book. A superhawk like you just described would be top of my list after a civilian 2. :winking-tongue
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Now that I see it in person, this orange color aint half bad. Gonna wait a minute with the RIT dye and see if it grows on me.
Definite Halloween vibes.🕷🦅🎃

:bug-red Thank you to (you know who you are) for the smooth transaction.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Something funny about this knife and potentially any new hawkbill design, I have the Spyderhawk and I have a Dragonfly hawkbill and I really don't use either one very often, much less than I thought I would especially the Dfly, but I would still be very interested in another run of Spyderhawks or a completely new design. They're knives I really love using when I actually do use them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote: Something funny about this knife and potentially any new hawkbill design, I have the Spyderhawk and I have a Dragonfly hawkbill and I really don't use either one very often, much less than I thought I would especially the Dfly, but I would still be very interested in another run of Spyderhawks or a completely new design. They're knives I really love using when I actually do use them.
I use my dragonfly salt hawkbill se. It and the regular dragonfly salt se are my favorite knives for putting in my boardshort pockets. So beach or boat I usually have it with me.

I do really wish it had the choil jimping like all the other dragonflys though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The orange is fantastic. It was one of my favorites when I had one. I wonder if that is the one I had. It's possible. 😉
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 pm
...... I would still be very interested in another run of Spyderhawks or a completely new design. ........
Get some liners in there, use the updated Endura handle, full flat grind SE K390.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kells45

Post by kells45 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:13 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 pm
...... I would still be very interested in another run of Spyderhawks or a completely new design. ........
Get some liners in there, use the updated Endura handle, full flat grind SE K390.
That’s a hard use blade right there. My k390 mule is a beast. Serrated flat grind hawkbill would be epic in k390.
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 pm
Now that I see it in person, this orange color aint half bad. Gonna wait a minute with the RIT dye and see if it grows on me.
Definite Halloween vibes.🕷🦅🎃

:bug-red Thank you to (you know who you are) for the smooth transaction.
Looks gorgeous, can't wait... :respect
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The more I think about it I would like to see G-10 handled versions of the HARPY & SPYDERHAWK both. I so much want a new G-10 Harpy and for years I've said that a G-10 handled version of the Spyderhawk would attract a new audience.

With Christmas on the horizon it would be cool to make a gift set of the two models with G-10 handles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How about a Harpy XL?

Spyderhawk size with the Harpy handle shape and grip contour.

Or even just a Civilian with a standard hawkbill shaped blade would do nicely.

I would also be VERY interested in a hawkbill version of the Rock Jumper and the Cliff Jumper. I'd love to see a handle-forward designed hawkbill. This would be the ultimate hawkbill for me.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I also think that would be ideal, and nicely sized.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:52 am
How about a Harpy XL?

Spyderhawk size with the Harpy handle shape and grip contour.

Or even just a Civilian with a standard hawkbill shaped blade would do nicely.

I would also be VERY interested in a hawkbill version of the Rock Jumper and the Cliff Jumper. I'd love to see a handle-forward designed hawkbill. This would be the ultimate hawkbill for me.
I could go for everything you mentioned. However if they did a XL sized HARPY I would still want them to do a regular sized unit as well. But I still maintain that a G-10 handled SPYDERHAWK would be a workman's dream blade. Especially doing gardening, landscaping and other jobs that are similar. I would love a SPYDERHAWK with a more rigid construction and a G-10 handle could accomplish that. I bet commercial fishermen would really go for that as well.

That idea you have with a Super Sized HARPY could be a thread all it's own. The more I think about that the more I want one.

I will never, ever figure out why the first run G-10 HARPY was a flop on the sales charts. But later on it becomes one of the most sought after collector pieces in Spyder History. It was simply ahead of it's time. You could say the same about the first run of the SPYDERHAWK. It didn't become popular until it was discontinued the first time around as well. And it didn't really become a popular item until they launched the Salt Series, H-1 version of the SPYDERHAWK. There were several Spyderco models that didn't get any fanfare until they were discontinued.
max808

Post by max808 »

So G-10 Spyderhawk/Superhawk/Harpy it is... in case you're listening Sal... :winking-tongue
max808

Post by max808 »

Going by the poll that's between 70 to a couple hundred units sold, perhaps a sprint run package deal?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be far more interested in a Civilian with a more standard hawkbill blade like the Spyderhawk that isn't fragile at the tip. I like the Civilian handle a lot more than a Superhawk because the pommel style handle works really well for pull cuts with a hook style blade.
~David
Razor G43

Post by Razor G43 »

A spyderhawk with a SE in K390 would be something to own! I would buy two.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The Spyderhawk is truly a Salt series. The only choice would be a FFG MagnaCut.