Behold! The elusive "Dodofly"!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Behold! The elusive "Dodofly"!

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:47 am
i still believe.
This would be awesome ! I really like the idea . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Still in.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Does anyone have a generated picture with the blade in closed position ? Just curious . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Dodofly looks great. I think there needs to be more reverse S blades especially on smaller models. Imagine Squeak for example with reverse S blade! Instant love.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

PaloArt wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:48 am
Dodofly looks great. I think there needs to be more reverse S blades especially on smaller models. Imagine Squeak for example with reverse S blade! Instant love.

I agree! I think a modified Cricket or Dodo shape would also be great in a Manbug handle. There is a strong argument to be made for a Reverse S keychain knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Anybody see this at Blade Show 2022?
•• Beau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:51 am

Wait, what??? :O Are you hearing there was one or were you just curious to see if they are ever going to get around to this??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:58 am
Buddafucco wrote:

Wait, what??? :O Are you hearing there was one or were you just curious to see if they are ever going to get around to this??

It seemed like a good way to bump the thread. I haven't heard anything about it though. I do hope they decide to make one some day.
•• Beau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:05 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:58 am
Buddafucco wrote:

It seemed like a good way to bump the thread. I haven't heard anything about it though. I do hope they decide to make one some day.

Oh bummer! You got my hopes up for a minute! Fingers crossed for Reveal 11!! :zany
Danke

Post by Danke »

I was looking at the mini-Yojimbo thinking how about a Dodo blade on that.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Any update on the "Dodofly"?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Still in.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

What does that blade type lend itself to better than leaf, wharncliffe and anything else in which the dfly is currently offered?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 am
Dr. Moreau, you are messing with very nature of life itself. It’s an abomination! Send it back to your island.
LOL. I missed this the first time I read this thread.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Meadowlark wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am
What does that blade type lend itself to better than leaf, wharncliffe and anything else in which the dfly is currently offered?
I started carrying my Superhawk this week after going a long time without carrying a hawkbill, and even in opening boxes I was reminded of why I like hawkbills so much. They cut differently than my leaf blades.

More simply put, different blade shapes cut differently and allow you cut better in different ways. Which one is better, depends more on you and how you like to cut than the knife itself.

If I need to open a box you could hand me a wharncliffe, leaf, hawkbill, reverse S, skinner, sheepsfoot, what ever and I'd be able to open the box. Me being able to open the box with one of those doesn't render the other shapes useless.

The main difference between Hawkbills and Reverse S blades is this. Hawkbills trap material in the hook. Hawkbills have a larger hook than Reverse S blades. A bigger trap, makes it harder for material to slide out of the trap. The down side is the edge towards the handle doesn't see much use, it's there but most of the cutting is done from just behind the midway point of the hook forward. The reverse S addresses this by having a belly at the back of the hook. Now the entire length of the blade is used more often. The trade off is you now have a smaller 'hook or trap' for material.

Hope that helps.

Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Hmm, I see. Thank you.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:15 pm
Meadowlark wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am
I started carrying my Superhawk this week after going a long time without carrying a hawkbill, and even in opening boxes I was reminded of why I like hawkbills so much. They cut differently than my leaf blades.

More simply put, different blade shapes cut differently and allow you cut better in different ways. Which one is better, depends more on you and how you like to cut than the knife itself.

If I need to open a box you could hand me a wharncliffe, leaf, hawkbill, reverse S, skinner, sheepsfoot, what ever and I'd be able to open the box. Me being able to open the box with one of those doesn't render the other shapes useless.

The main difference between Hawkbills and Reverse S blades is this. Hawkbills trap material in the hook. Hawkbills have a larger hook than Reverse S blades. A bigger trap, makes it harder for material to slide out of the trap. The down side is the edge towards the handle doesn't see much use, it's there but most of the cutting is done from just behind the midway point of the hook forward. The reverse S addresses this by having a belly at the back of the hook. Now the entire length of the blade is used more often. The trade off is you now have a smaller 'hook or trap' for material.

Hope that helps.
That was a baller explanation of Reverse S
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:27 pm
That was a baller explanation of Reverse S
Thank you sir.

TomH

Post by TomH »

Is the Dodofly still a possibility?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm so glad this thread got a bump. After getting the BladeHQ Dodo, all I could think of is how great the Dodofly would be.