LC200N Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: LC200N Caribbean

Post by Doc Dan »

So, the Native Salt is getting a DLC coated blade, is that what you are saying, Sal?

I am eagerly awaiting this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

sal wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:22 pm
Blade included.

sal

TiNi like the other Salts, Sal?

Much appreciate your info and updates,
have a ver nice day Sir :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

There will be an uncoated version still, right? My Manix 2 52100 has officially left my pocket. I just don't like coated blades.

It looks great, but in use I don't enjoy it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'd say the coating is a necessity and not a fashion statement. Because of the galvanic corrosion the different metals should not touch each other, so liners, lock and blade have to be kept apart from each other. This is just what I think but Sal can confirm it (or not).

I wonder how this affects the new Pacific Salt in LC200N...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Noodling out loud...

The problem of galvanic reaction is making H1 look like sheer genius (especially when this steel wears a Spyderedge). This steel just does not react to a knife's other stainless components when in an electrolyte, as Lance's seakayaking with "traditional" Salts makes abundantly clear.

I'm wondering if declaring LC200N a "Salt" steel was a tad premature or too bold. If so, what to do?

Rather than coat adjacent steels, which seems a kluge to me, why not use titanium liners or scales for LC200N blades that are meant to be Salts. In saltwater, the Tusk and SpydieChef have shown no galvanic reaction, right?

To be a Salt, the Caribbean would need to be lined or scaled with titanium. I'd prefer the former because I've been looking forward to those black and yellow G10 scales.

I think LC200N also holds an attractive place in the "non-Salt" world. At the least, it has greater corrosion-, fracture-, and wear-resistance than VG10, itself not too shabby in the garden or kitchen (where long-term electrolyte immersion is atypical).
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

So will the upcoming caribbean have a coated blade then? What about the upcoming pe autonomy?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:14 pm
Rather than coat adjacent steels, which seems a kluge to me, why not use titanium liners or scales for LC200N blades that are meant to be Salts. In saltwater, the Tusk and SpydieChef have shown no galvanic reaction, right?

To be a Salt, the Caribbean would need to be lined or scaled with titanium. I'd prefer the former because I've been looking forward to those black and yellow G10 scales.

I think LC200N also holds an attractive place in the "non-Salt" world. At the least, it has greater corrosion-, fracture-, and wear-resistance than VG10, itself not too shabby in the garden or kitchen (where long-term electrolyte immersion is atypical).
I like this, and there are a few previous designs that employed titanium liners, such as the Pete Carrey rubicon/magnitude. I know that titanium is often chosen for bling reasons, or weight reasons, but I think this might be an elegant, if expensive, solution.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Titanium liners may be an issue with the compression lock. I know the ATR had the frame/compression lock setup but how successful was it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
925topher

Post by 925topher »

I put in my pre-order, gonna replace my black manix2 as my fishing & bait knife
sal

Post by sal »

First, I might suggest that we have tens of thousands of Salts in the field with no issues.
Second, We have not found plain edge LC to have better abrasive resistance than VG-10.
The few problems that we have encountered seem to be more of an anomaly that a common issue.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:41 pm
First, I might suggest that we have tens of thousands of Salts in the field with no issues.
Second, We have not found plain edge LC to have better abrasive resistance than VG-10.
The few problems that we have encountered seem to be more of an anomaly that a common issue.

sal

Sal, will you be offering plain satin finish blades on the Native Salt as well as coated? Since it seems that only in very extreme conditions does the galvanic corrosion thing come up.

I could be wrong but I believe earlier on this thread Surfingringo said something to the effect that in all his saltwater uses, the only thing that happened to his LC200N was a bit of discoloration easily wiped off.

Either way it's a great looking knife which I will probably eventually buy. :) I just don't really care too much for coated blades.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Conner,

As I understand, At this time, Eric plans to coat all of the parts of the Native Salt.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Okay. Thanks for the reply! I will be watching with interest the continued development with LC200N.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I guess I'll go ahead and ask, what is the point of sticking with LC200N if the blades will be coated anyway? Of course the edge can still rust and degrade if we compare it to something like DLC coated M4, but it seems like an awful lot of effort to make a knife just so it can have FFG and a bit more edge retention than H1. If LC200N isn't more cost effective, won't we just get knives that have an added cost of everything being coated? Are the gains worth it over what we already have with H1? Not trying to be cynical here, just seems like if LC200N is going to take extra coating and cost to be rust proof and all we're gaining in return is FFG and a bit more edge retention, is it going to be worth it?
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:45 am
Well I guess I'll go ahead and ask, what is the point of sticking with LC200N if the blades will be coated anyway? Of course the edge can still rust and degrade if we compare it to something like DLC coated M4, but it seems like an awful lot of effort to make a knife just so it can have FFG and a bit more edge retention than H1. If LC200N isn't more cost effective, won't we just get knives that have an added cost of everything being coated? Are the gains worth it over what we already have with H1? Not trying to be cynical here, just seems like if LC200N is going to take extra coating and cost to be rust proof and all we're gaining in return is FFG and a bit more edge retention, is it going to be worth it?
well if being coated it doesn't scratch like H1, it holds its edge longer and won't corrode, I guess that's a bit of improvement :confused: I think production cost/price will be the main decisive factor here
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 am
Evil D wrote:
well if being coated it doesn't scratch like H1, it holds its edge longer and won't corrode, I guess that's a bit of improvement :confused: I think production cost/price will be the main decisive factor here

Ok but again let's say we coat another steel that may not be rust PROOF but is very good at resisting rust, like say S110V. Now that it's coated, the majority of the blade won't rust and we have a very significant advantage in edge retention. Is the difference between H1 and LC really that good?
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:38 am
ThePeacent wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 am
Evil D wrote:

Ok but again let's say we coat another steel that may not be rust PROOF but is very good at resisting rust, like say S110V. Now that it's coated, the majority of the blade won't rust and we have a very significant advantage in edge retention. Is the difference between H1 and LC really that good?
I suppose that's true.

maybe price and/or novelty factor or exclusivity are enough?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess I'm just saying if we have to coat LC to make it rust proof then the only advantage (aside from less edge degradation) is that it can be full flat ground while H1 can't. If that's all we're gaining then why not just coat a better edge retention steel that's really good at corrosion resistance and end up with a similar blade that holds an edge far better?

Example, if LC200N is a step below (or even comparable to) VG10, why not just coat VG10? LC really loses it's purpose if it needs to be coated to be rust proof.
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:09 am
I guess I'm just saying if we have to coat LC to make it rust proof then the only advantage (aside from less edge degradation) is that it can be full flat ground while H1 can't. If that's all we're gaining then why not just coat a better edge retention steel that's really good at corrosion resistance and end up with a similar blade that holds an edge far better?

Example, if LC200N is a step below (or even comparable to) VG10, why not just coat VG10? LC really loses it's purpose if it needs to be coated to be rust proof.

That's my question as well, D. I thought the whole point of "rust proof" steels is that they don't need to be coated. If it turns out they do, then what is the point?

Again, I'm not the one doing the testing but is it *really* a problem with LC200N? I mean, okay, maybe we can't call it absolutely rust proof, but as Surfingringo has found (not to belabor the point) it is, practically speaking, next door to rust proof.
- Connor

sal

Post by sal »

Hi guys & gals,

I guess I lied. My bad. Just spoke with Tom, factory manager, and he said the blade and lock for the Native salt WILL NOT BE COATED. Just the hardware.

sal