How to improve the Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studey

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Post by Studey »

Bloke wrote:Hi Studey,

This kook can't be dealing from the full deck?

Firstly....he's a troll, first and foremost.

Second, assuming he's being honest..he already declared his disdain for 'plastic pistols.' This likely puts him solidly in the 1911 camp, and if people aren't honest with themselves, they'll make excuses for a weapon they like and *want* to carry. Been there, done that, and moved away from 1911s due to exactly the reasons discussed...the increased potential/likelihood for issues. I've seen it myself, (thought I don't own a 3") and have seen it with other people first hand. More than one student who couldn't get their gun to run through more than a couple of mags without hiccups. If all this guy ever does is shoot casually at the range, plinking at a bullseye, he may not encounter a problem. But when you're shooting much faster, at a higher round count, and adding things like drawing from the holster and moving around dynamically, you start to see many more issues come up. It's why so many instructors recommend against 1911s in general, but particularly short ones. Pincus even has a challenge out that it a student can make it through one of his classes with a 1911 with zero malfunctions, he'll refund them their money and they get the class for free. To date, no one has made it through successfully.

So, in answer to your question Bloke, mostly just a troll, though possibly also someone who doesn't shoot hard enough or frequently enough to notice issues, particularly with the 3" 1911 carry pistol he apparently doesn't own. ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Studey wrote:
Bloke wrote:Hi Studey,

This kook can't be dealing from the full deck?

Firstly....he's a troll, first and foremost.

Second, assuming he's being honest..he already declared his disdain for 'plastic pistols.' This likely puts him solidly in the 1911 camp, and if people aren't honest with themselves, they'll make excuses for a weapon they like and *want* to carry. Been there, done that, and moved away from 1911s due to exactly the reasons discussed...the increased potential/likelihood for issues. I've seen it myself, (thought I don't own a 3") and have seen it with other people first hand. More than one student who couldn't get their gun to run through more than a couple of mags without hiccups. If all this guy ever does is shoot casually at the range, plinking at a bullseye, he may not encounter a problem. But when you're shooting much faster, at a higher round count, and adding things like drawing from the holster and moving around dynamically, you start to see many more issues come up. It's why so many instructors recommend against 1911s in general, but particularly short ones. Pincus even has a challenge out that it a student can make it through one of his classes with a 1911 with zero malfunctions, he'll refund them their money and they get the class for free. To date, no one has made it through successfully.

So, in answer to your question Bloke, mostly just a troll, though possibly also someone who doesn't shoot hard enough or frequently enough to notice issues, particularly with the 3" 1911 carry pistol he apparently doesn't own. ;)
It's madness my friend! I'm new here and encouraged him because I thought it was funny. This is the only time I've participated on a forum and I'm still fumbling my way around but, I don't want to be associated with people like this.

Mate, I'd bet money he's never even held a 1911! Bazaar!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JT

Post by JT »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
I really like 45 ACP... good stopping power with low recoil.
Once again, "experience" is talking I see.. let's be honest, you have never ever even held a 45 ACP if you live in Sweden, or carried one.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'll take straight back recoil over the torquing, twisting I get with 1911's as I can get back quicker onto the target. I've never really considered the 1911 "low recoil" because of that even though it sure bites less than the magnums in light alloy guns. I've also seen worse jamming with some 1911's than any other models. The whole concept of buying a Colt and taking it to a gunsmith to get it to feed properly really soured me. That, and the horrible old WW2 era Singer and Remington models I was issued back in the Army. They may have been coveted collectors guns but they didn't function worth #$!*. I've seen 1911 models finely tuned by smiths to where they would "feed empty cases" yet still jammed, stove-piped, etc. Owners got to be expert at making excuses talking about wrong springs and such. One Glock I'm familiar with has never seen a malfunction yet at almost 3K rounds. They will jam every time if "limp wrist-ed" though. I've personally gone back to preferring revolvers in my old age.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Mastiff wrote:I'll take straight back recoil over the torquing, twisting I get with 1911's as I can get back quicker onto the target. I've never really considered the 1911 "low recoil" because of that even though it sure bites less than the magnums in light alloy guns. I've also seen worse jamming with some 1911's than any other models. The whole concept of buying a Colt and taking it to a gunsmith to get it to feed properly really soured me. That, and the horrible old WW2 era Singer and Remington models I was issued back in the Army. They may have been coveted collectors guns but they didn't function worth #$!*. I've seen 1911 models finely tuned by smiths to where they would "feed empty cases" yet still jammed, stove-piped, etc. Owners got to be expert at making excuses talking about wrong springs and such. One Glock I'm familiar with has never seen a malfunction yet at almost 3K rounds. They will jam every time if "limp wrist-ed" though. I've personally gone back to preferring revolvers in my old age.
A friend of mine had a Springfield National Match that I used to shoot fairly regularly, *that* was a great 1911, never had any feed issues and man oh man was that pistol accurate! I personally own a CZ85 Combat and a CZ82, both are all steel, accurate enough and nearly immune to malfunction; the 85 has a progressive recoil spring installed, so it very occasionally has failure to feed, or stovepipe jams with light loads, the 82 has never jammed, no matter what cr@p eastern bloc ammo I've fed it. My firearms are only for shooting targets though, so I haven't been too worried over the prospect of an FTF, if it came down to that the target would still be there after I had cleared and reloaded ;)

I never really felt like the .45 was a hard recoiling gun, but it certainly moves a lot, making it more of an effort to keep on target when doing rapid fire, IMO hot 9mm loadings tend to feel sharper, but have less muzzle climb in a similar weight pistol. Kind of like how .44mag feels less abrupt than .357, even though the total recoil is much greater...

Some day I'll trade off my model 27 for a more practical S&W, like a model 15 or its modern replacement.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

JT wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
I really like 45 ACP... good stopping power with low recoil.
Once again, "experience" is talking I see.. let's be honest, you have never ever even held a 45 ACP if you live in Sweden, or carried one.
What is this misconception of Swedes not allowed to own handguns?

And for your information I own a Kimber Stainless Gold Match II and a Colt New Agent and that's just my 45's.
JT

Post by JT »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
What is this misconception of Swedes not allowed to own handguns?

And for your information I own a Kimber Stainless Gold Match II and a Colt New Agent and that's just my 45's.

Did I say anything about swedes not being able to own handguns? No I didn't.
I'm calling your bullshit, thats all. Airsoft guns are not real firearms, you know. Pics or it didn't happen. Posted so, that we can see this tread in the backround or else I call it Bullshit.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Well, I think this thread is just about done...
There is nothing more important than this one day.