Native Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

No sir. I saw a pic on this forum of a Manix someone dropped and it chipped a bit. I don't remember which thread.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sorry, it wasn't a pic. Can't post a link from my phone, but the thread is "Translucent Manix 2 Review".

I'll still get a lightweight Native, but this originated my leariness of the material.
- best wishes, Jazz.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

bh49 wrote:Of cause. All these steels plus few others like CTS-B75P, K390 and Damascus with smooth bone scales :)
BTW, how is you g10 Navive5 doing? how does it feels in your hand? I wish wire clip too, may be will happen with Shaman.
I still haven't had the chance to cut with the N5 as extensively as I would like. In hand, it feels nice - though the lack of a hump is a bit weird. The only knock on the knife, that I can see, is that it's slightly difficult to open. I guess that's the price of admission for a slim profile and no hump.

I'm just curious why it was decided to use a stamped clip? The Manix Lightweight has a wire clip and I assumed the Native 5 would follow suit.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Golden Natives always had stamped clip. May be just a tradition. Stamped clip doesn't bother me, even I prefer wire clip.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've dropped my Manix 2 LW, though only from about 7 feet onto smooth concrete...no chip.

I've dropped my FRN Native 275 feet onto gravel...such a small indent in the FRN that you'd have a hard time spotting it if you didn't know where to look.

I'm not sure if I think FRCP would hold up to high speed impact as well as FRN, but it feels stronger and would likely be more robust under most scenarios. I'm confident FRCP will be more than sturdy enough. (If someone wants to donate a Manix 2 LW I'll happily climb to 275 feet and drop it off a tower for a direct FRN-FRCP impact test, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my Manix 2 LW to find out lol).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Update on the lightweight Native 5:
Sal Glesser wrote:Hi Lionesser,

We're trying to squeeze it into a production schedule now. It's a very nice piece and I carry the proto quite regularly. I'd like to see it in production in 2014. It will depend on Eric and Tom if we can pull it off.

sal
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

That's good news... :) Ommmmmm, I'm patient, ommmmmmm......

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
Holland

Post by Holland »

hope its 2014! and i hope there is a sprint of it that year as well :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phaust

Post by phaust »

Holland wrote:hope its 2014! and i hope there is a sprint of it that year as well :D
What, only one sprint? :p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Holland wrote:hope its 2014! and i hope there is a sprint of it that year as well :D
As long as this sprint will be have dark green handle and 204P FFG blade I will be quite happy. :D Hopefully will get Fluted CF N5 with S110V before that. :)
We really need to increase capacity of Golden.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would love to see any color with M4
-Spencer

Rotation:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:As long as this sprint will be have dark green handle and 204P FFG blade I will be quite happy. :D Hopefully will get Fluted CF N5 with S110V before that. :)
We really need to increase capacity of Golden.
Buy...

more...

Spyderco...

knives. ;)

Predictable revenues and profits are key supports for business expansion. :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

JNewell wrote:Buy...

more...

Spyderco...

knives. ;)

Predictable revenues and profits are key supports for business expansion. :spyder:
True, but some companies choose not to expand as a way pay more attention to detail and maintain better customer relations
-Spencer

Rotation:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Holland wrote:True, but some companies choose not to expand as a way pay more attention to detail and maintain better customer relations
Yes - but I don't think I've read a single post here or elsewhere suggesting that Spyderco maintain current production levels. You're right that over-expansion can wreck or actually kill a company if bad planning or just plain bad luck is in the mix - some things are beyond the control of the best managers.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

For the standard production- nonsprint model, I'd like to see CPM-154 instead of S35vn.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Interestingly, neither 154CM nor CPM-154 seems to have been used by Spyderco - no time like the present? :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JNewell wrote:Interestingly, neither 154CM nor CPM-154 seems to have been used by Spyderco - no time like the present? :spyder:
Neither has ever been used in the Native, but the Manix 2 was 154CM.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Invective

Post by Invective »

xceptnl wrote:Neither has ever been used in the Native, but the Manix 2 was 154CM.
As was the Szabofly and the SmallFly. Those are the only instances I can think of though that used 154CM.
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote: We really need to increase capacity of Golden.
We have a problem of supply and demand here. Maybe we should take the easier, alternate approach and sell the Para 2 for $150 street price for say... 6 months. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:Neither has ever been used in the Native, but the Manix 2 was 154CM.
Invective wrote:As was the Szabofly and the SmallFly. Those are the only instances I can think of though that used 154CM.
Intersting...doesn't show up on the steel section of the catalog. I actually had one of those early Manix 2s, so I should have been able to remember that, but knives do come and go. :eek: :o