Forum Knife... Some (Limited) Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the idea of a lightweight Manix 2. I still don't have one yet, and a forum model would be great!

But, I'm in for just about anything.
:bug-red-white
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for the info, Kristi. Perhaps it is the Native 5 Lite's debut? :D
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Count me in. :P

I'm not too worried about what spyderco will come up with. We could drive ourselves crazy speculating what they'll do, but chances are they've actually read through all the posts in our "input" threads and will oblige us with something vaguely similar. I'm not expecting the exact thing we agreed on, but as Kristi said they're listening. ;)
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

ChrisR wrote:Not sure what you mean here ... I'm saying that I'm happy with the existing UKPK Lightweight as a platform for the forum knife. :)

My only query is getting it shipped to the UK in a cheap way that meets the UK's over-zealous Customs regulations. It's perfectly legal to own a folding knife in the UK as long as it isn't an automatic, a gravity knife or a balisong and they can be carried too, if they are a sub 3-inch non-locker or you have a good reason. The problem is that the Customs department that handles international post are going for high seizure rates and seem to have decided that they have an issue with any knife that is smooth opening. So to keep them happy people have been asking US traders to tighten the pivot before posting ... or we buy through UK traders at an inflated price.

I agree 100%

Please tighten the pivot for the UK buyers.
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Really cool news :eek:
Niles

Post by Niles »

I'm in! As long as it's a dark red para 2 with k390.

Just kidding...but seriously...K390 P2?
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I wasn't around here for the previous forum knife releases....anyone remember how those were distributed? Was there a pre-order prior to production to reserve a knife, or was there a fixed number of units produced with a first-come first-served sale?

In any event, I'm looking forward to this knife, whatever it might be....hopefully something classy with (non-black) G10 scales!!!

Thanks, Sal and crew, for making this possible.
HighDesertSpyder

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

hunterseeker5 wrote:Count me in. :P

I'm not too worried about what spyderco will come up with. We could drive ourselves crazy speculating what they'll do, but chances are they've actually read through all the posts in our "input" threads and will oblige us with something vaguely similar. I'm not expecting the exact thing we agreed on, but as Kristi said they're listening. ;)
Agreed,
Whatever comes of the Forum knife; everyone should be incredibly grateful. I am sure they have jostled their already booked production schedule and will invest profits just to appease the Forum. I hope it will be worth their time and effort. I am fairly certain that few of us will ever know the great lengths and efforts it takes to make this happen. :spyder:
:spyder:74:spyder:
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

Really looking forward to this! It really doesn't matter to me which color, model, and steel are chosen for this.
Spydies owned: Sage, Sage 2, Sage 3, Sage 4, Lum CF, Lum (foliage), Para Military, Gayle Bradley, Caly 3, M390 Military, Military (orange), PM 2 (orange), Dodo (orange), Manix 2 (orange), Manix 2 (moonglow), Merlin, Matriarch SE, UKPK (maroon), Chinook 3, Khukuri, Superhawk, Street Beat, Lum Tanto sprint, Massad Ayoob sprint, PPT, Shabaria, Persian (red), JD Smith (foliage), BayouShooter Endura, and P'kal.

Waiting for: Dark green PM2.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Prospero wrote:I wasn't around here for the previous forum knife releases....anyone remember how those were distributed? Was there a pre-order prior to production to reserve a knife, or was there a fixed number of units produced with a first-come first-served sale?

In any event, I'm looking forward to this knife, whatever it might be....hopefully something classy with (non-black) G10 scales!!!

Thanks, Sal and crew, for making this possible.
Fixed number produced, "go live" date posted about a week in advance, knives sold on a first come, first serve basis. Am guessing it will be done the same way this time around, except they may put a limit on the number one can purchase, at least initially, as they've done with at least some of the recent Mules.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Roverrich

Post by Roverrich »

Joining the masses...I'm in! And thanks!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

The Deacon wrote:True about the Manbug, but the online catalog lists it under US made knives, so I can understand Andreas' confusion. As for the other, while I'm inclined to agree that it won't be a Mule, they do have the advantage of being pretty much universally legal to own. As for other US models, while I doubt Spyderco would choose either as our Forum knife, nobody's mentioned the P'kal or Embassy yet.
I only saw the P'kal Trainer in the catalog, that's why I didn't include it but it would be a cool one. And yes, that's what confused me about the Manbug, more things aren't correct about the catalog though, maybe there should be a topic about that.
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Looking forward to whatever Spyderco decides :) It will be a wonderful memento of this Forum which has helped me learn so much.......Thank You Very Much Sal and Company :) :D :o :eek:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Native 5 in CPM M4 please.

Ken
玉鋼
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Wow, look at the response. 300 will not be enough. The number to produce must be a difficult balance to get right.
Sadly because of our flick knife laws here I may not be able to get this one.
O.
balew6254

Post by balew6254 »

Well I'm in, no matter what it is. A native 5 would be nice though.

B.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas

Post by 1623 »

Excellent news!

Since others are tossing in ideas: a Native 5 (Locking or SlipIt) with Natural G10 scales would be my humble request.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Right on! Do we have to order them right from SFO only?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Glad to hear this is happening, it has been a while since we had a forum knife. I will purchase whatever they decide to produce.
GMAN

Post by GMAN »

Sign me up!!!