Revisiting the S35VN question.......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:Jim's a good guy, but lets face it, the guy plays with some badass high end steels, it doesn't surprise me if S35VN doesn't blow him away. I think quoting some of his posts are taking things a little out of context. He does say he feels S35VN isn't better than S30V, but then in the test he did he simply said S35VN was a good steel...not better, not worse, but a good steel. I don't see where he contradicted himself at all. VG10 may not hold a candle to S90V but it's still an excellent steel, is it not?
Thanks man. :)

I am very fortunate to get to test and use a lot of steels both in production and custom knives. :spyder:

All I can really say in the end based on my experience is don't expect more out of any steel than what it is really ment to do and you won't be disappointed. :)
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I was just gonna post this for you guys, The guy CrimsonTideShooter who did the test on the native 5 and started all this posted another video where he showed off his folding knife collection, and in the video he owns not 1 not 2 but 3 native 5s and talks about how much he loves the knife. Now i havent read the whole thread he started so correct me if im wrong but didnt he say the steel was bad and such? Well if the steel is so bad and he started all this mess, why does he own 3 native 5s? ill post a link later. Like i said havent read the whole thread and i could be wrong.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Allen.

Crimson is a knife afi with a true love of the edge. He was testing for his own enjoyment and truth seeking. He was not trying to "show" or "prove" something was wrong with the steel. I've spoken with him and didn't get the impression he was trying to cause trouble.

Everytime something new comes out, it has to pass muster. Knife afi's tend to be very anal about their "art" so passing muster is sometimes like childbirth.

As a culture, we tend to be defensive at times. Actually, I'm pleased with the way the folks here handled the situation.

sal
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

Allen R. wrote:I was just gonna post this for you guys, The guy CrimsonTideShooter who did the test on the native 5 and started all this posted another video where he showed off his folding knife collection, and in the video he owns not 1 not 2 but 3 native 5s and talks about how much he loves the knife. Now i havent read the whole thread he started so correct me if im wrong but didnt he say the steel was bad and such? Well if the steel is so bad and he started all this mess, why does he own 3 native 5s? ill post a link later. Like i said havent read the whole thread and i could be wrong.
A little premature edge rolling is not enough for me to dislike a knife. I've carried a Native 5 every single day since my videos were posted.

I never said anything cross about the steel or the knife, neither did I actually start the threads. ;)

Thanks for the kind words Sal. The other N5 should be landing any day now.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The N5 and my SIC loaded strop, the SIC loaded side up.

The SIC loaded strop has been all I have needed to maintain the edge so far using it at work.

Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I hadn't viewed this thread before and my head is spinning. I wonder how many of us really punish our knives the way Ankerson does in his testing.....of which I'm sure we all truly appreciate.

"Oh what tangled webs we weave,
When never was there intent to deceive,
Or create ill will by any.
And in the end, that which was spun,
Could not be cut by knife."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Tdog wrote:I hadn't viewed this thread before and my head is spinning. I wonder how many of us really punish our knives the way Ankerson does in his testing.....of which I'm sure we all truly appreciate.

"Oh what tangled webs we weave,
When never was there intent to deceive,
Or create ill will by any.
And in the end, that which was spun,
Could not be cut by knife."
Been rotating knives out on a monthly schedule to see how they hold up to my use at work also and I don't baby them at all.

The Native 5 is my current victim in it's 2nd week. :D
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Ankerson wrote:Been rotating knives out on a monthly schedule to see how they hold up to my use at work also and I don't baby them at all.

The Native 5 is my current victim in it's 2nd week. :D
Thanks for the update,Jim. Please continue to post your experiences and impressions of your N5 and S35VN as they develop. :)
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MIL-DOT wrote:Thanks for the update,Jim. Please continue to post your experiences and impressions of your N5 and S35VN as they develop. :)
It's been doing extremely well. :spyder:
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

Wow this has been a great thread.

Sal: You are a gentleman. Your involvement in threads like this, coupled with your candor and patience with knife aficionados really has impressed me. I am a customer for life.

Jim: Thank you for your efforts in testing and for publishing honest results. You are a valuable asset in the knife community.

CTS: I appreciate your love for all things sharp and enjoy your tests and videos and contributions to the community.

Keep up the good work gentlemen. You make the knife community a better place.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Taonari,

Thanx much

sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Thanks Sal to you and all those at Spyderco that give us so much to look forward to. Hope you, have a Happy, Healthy, Safe, and Prosperous New Year. Please give our regards to all those that work at Spyderco to bring us such fine products.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Hi Taonari,

Thanks a lot. :)

Jim