If you could have any knife in magnacut, why would you opt for another steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
semfi1345

Re: If you could have any knife in magnacut, why would you opt for another steel?

Post by semfi1345 »

Zero interest in Magnacut. Cruwear is king imo. SPY27 is not far behind. Have put both those steels through the ringer in the woods as a forester and they've proven to come out on top when it matters. I don't believe in the hype ^.
SPY-27 and CPM-Cruwear are peak performance...for me.
SAF-1

Re: If you could have any knife in magnacut, why would you opt for another steel?

Post by SAF-1 »

Magna cut 💯
Omega80000

Post by Omega80000 »

Availability. Magnacut is a great concept, but I’m not going to wait for a Magnacut version of an existing knife if another version is currently available, nor will I pay significantly more if the only difference is the steel.

Like anything else, it also depends on how they’re heat treating it. Some knife makers like Case and Hinderer are already releasing Magnacut knives with subpar heat treatment, which means you won’t get the performance you think you’re paying for. We’re still learning about Magnacut. If it turns out to be like M390 where it has a small margin of error for getting it right, then it might not be worth it from a lot of manufacturers.
Clyde4

Post by Clyde4 »

For me personally (in an ideal world) I’m choosing magnacut for every knife I own unless I am looking for a SERIOUS chopper that’ll frequently come across unexpected super-hard objects (i.e. metal) during use. In other words, if I want some thing with crazy high toughness then I’m going 3V. Otherwise, I’m probably choosing magnacut all day… just my two cents. I currently own three magnacut knives, two of which I use for fairly “heavy duty” outdoor/bushcraft tasks on a regular basis. The “hype” is fairly justified in my experience thus far.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think kennethsime summed it up well.. And with only Magnacut, life would be boring and my collection would be less than third of its size. I would have probably only two Natives (PE+SE) and not five, only one Chief and not two, only two Millies (Ti+G10) and not three, I probably wouldn't own a PM2, nor a Para 3... and so on. Now, I don't have anything in Magnacut yet, still waiting for the perfect package.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

because S90V is better, and it's been around for a while. :D
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I would still stick with H1/H2 for toughness and ease of sharpening in the field, and probably LC200N for the same reason, but I could easily see my quiver of pocketknives being reduced to just the salt steels now that Magnacut exists. I love my M390 but Magnacut seems so far to be close enough for my purposes and I'll take as much corrosion resistance as I can get.