SAGE Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
billdoier72

Re: SAGE Series

Post by billdoier72 »

I would love to see more Sage 5 variations. The compression lock is perfection. We just need more steel and scale choices.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Cruwear Sage 5 lightweight is my holy grail Spyderco

I have a pair of micarta scales waiting…the day may never come but if it does, I’m immediately buying two. One will be THE crucarta 3” in my collection and the other will remain stock forever.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I'm one to support more unconventional additions to the series like the lightweight Sage 5 and Maxamet Sage 1, and my most wanted Spyderco Folder is probably a Rex121 Sage 5 lightweight (which i believe exists in some form as a testing sample for the steel because Sal said he was carrying one a while ago), but I've already made my case for those variations before.

So, in regards to locks, my suggestions are as follows: a Caged Ball Bearing Lock; the Integral Compression Lock; Button Lock or Button Compression Lock like the Smock; perhaps a Demko lock; a Ken Onion assisted opening mechanism; an Auto of some variety; and maybe Snecx's "Super Lock". Forgot the Stop Lock.

Ideas for new materials to be used in any of those include aluminum handles like the recent PM2s and BD1N steel.
Since I cant help myself, I want to mention serrations and color variations of the Sage 5 lightweight too.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
agm

Post by agm »

I love the Sage 5. I own 4 of them with custom scales but would also love to see it in more steel variations like the Para 3. That would be the bomb. I carry two Spyderco knives with me every day and one is always the Sage 5. Perfect "EDC" for me. I carry it around my neck most of the time.
cjk

Post by cjk »

This is reason enough to me to have as many Sage variations as possible:
spyderco.com wrote: National Alzheimer's Association
Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Sage line to the National Alzheimer's Association Denver, Colorado Chapter. The Alzheimer's Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. Their mission is to eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Contributions to the Alzheimer's Association provide care and support to families in Colorado coping with Alzheimer's disease as well as fund national programs and research to ultimately find a cure. Visit www.alz.org/co to learn more about how your support makes a difference.
cjk

Post by cjk »

It's been said in this thread that the purpose of the Sage series is to showcase locks. That's true, but there's much more to it than that. Each of the Sage models appears to be near equally as much a tribute to the innovative person who designed that lock as much as the lock itself. If one goes and reads the descriptions of each Sage model on the Spyderco website, this purpose is much more evident:

spyderco.com wrote: The purpose of the Sage Series is to acknowledge the contributions of innovative knifemakers and give credit where credit is due.

And while the description of the Sage 5 doesn't say it, the Sage 5 acknowledges the contributions of innovative knifemaker Sal Glesser.

Given that the Sage 5 is the Sal Glesser model even though Sal is too modest to put that in print, it really doesn't seem out of line to have exclusives/sprints/whatever in multiple steels.

--Christian
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm eagerly waiting to see if the CBBL can be scaled down to fit into the Sage.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

If a BBL can be done on the Q-Ball, a CBBL can be done on the Sage. I might even buy 2 if they did it.
agm

Post by agm »

Bocote Wood scales
Original Carbon Fiber
Desert Ironwood
OD Green Micarta
Glow in the Dark (daytime)
Glow in the Dark (at night)

Love my Sages... :smiling-heart-eyes
Last edited by agm on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’ve heard so much negative about S30V that I’m wondering if it’s worth holding out for another steel.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I would be in for a new lockback sage it would not need to be as fancy as the old one but i find the lockback its ambidextrous features to important to just stop making it like they did.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:46 am
I’ve heard so much negative about S30V that I’m wondering if it’s worth holding out for another steel.
I have tons of s30v spydies and i have not a single one that i can say anything negative about.
That is just gossip from all the steeljunkys because they can not live anymore without there super steels. :squinting-tongue
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Let me guess...youtube??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have been looking at the Sage a lot , I think I would prefer it over the Para 3 . Really not too concerned about steel choice if I maybe only have one in collection. The foundation it contributes to is a wonderful gesture and has meaning to me . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
You heard ?! Well, it must be true :winking-tongue
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

It’s a mad world we live in where S30V causes noses to turn up at the prospect of owning it. It’s a powder metallurgy, high-vanadium steel designed specifically for cutlery purposes and Spyderco does a wonderful heat treatment on it. If anyone can point out a real-world scenario where a more “super” steel has succeeded where S30V has failed I would love to hear about it.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I’m not anti-S30V, but when I compare the price of a Sage 5 LW to the price of a Native 5 LW in Spy27, LC200N, or Magnacut, knowing those steels all have superior toughness, equal of superior ease of sharpening, and equal or superior corrosion resistance, why would I settle for less? The only edge S30V has (pun intended) is in edge retention, and at the hardness it’s offered, I’m better off with a Chap LW for significantly less $. Or if I want to spend more, I’d look at K390 or S90V.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sharp24/7,

Perhaps you are limiting yourself. With blade steels, "All good, just different".

I like chocolate better than strawberry, but that doesn't make it better.

sal.
cjk

Post by cjk »

agm wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:47 am

Love my Sages... :smiling-heart-eyes
Wow, that's one heck of a Sage 5 collection you've got there!! Nicely done! :cheap-sunglasses
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:23 pm
I’m not anti-S30V, but when I compare the price of a Sage 5 LW to the price of a Native 5 LW in Spy27, LC200N, or Magnacut, knowing those steels all have superior toughness, equal of superior ease of sharpening, and equal or superior corrosion resistance, why would I settle for less? The only edge S30V has (pun intended) is in edge retention, and at the hardness it’s offered, I’m better off with a Chap LW for significantly less $. Or if I want to spend more, I’d look at K390 or S90V.
Something to consider.

I think the problem with comparing the Sage to the Native in price is the steel is not nescessarily causing the increase here. I would bet if the Sage were to get a SPY27 version it would be significantly more than the standard S30V version due to the former's higher cost being a propriatary steel for Spyderco.

If you are comparing prices between the models, a better example would be the Blade HQ Native 5 Exclusive (DLC - $134; Satin - $119) vs. the Blade HQ Sage 5 Exclusive (DLC - $164; Satin - $154). Same steel and same Dealer Exclusive and they came out around the same time. Sage is just a more expensive model. Could be the Taichung factory is more expensive to order through. Could be that they have to export the steel then import it back (back and forth). Could be demand for the Sage 5 is higher. Could be the material and parts, plus machining is more. Who knows but Spyderco. Point it is, you are not nescessarily settling. Just getting a different model with other options that people may or may not value more.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005