More affordable compression lock knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: More affordable compression lock knives

Post by Menipo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:49 am
Menipo wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:05 pm

What you want do is order the wire clip for the Foundry from SFO.

Thanks, Skeeg!

You referred to the Foundry for any special reason? I though that all models which mount the wire clip (Foundry, Lil' Native, UKPN) sport the very same version (the same clip).
Wire clips are not all the same length. You want the wire clip to contact the smooth Spyderco logo portion of the handle for less pocket wear.

I see ... Many thanks!
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:10 am
JRinFL wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:23 am
Menipo, you must give the Manix a try. Perhaps you can find one on the Swap. I don’t think anyone here would deliberately steer you wrong on the function of the knife, so your risk is lower.

BTW, most would consider the Manix as something much more than soft use!

Many thanks for the recommendation, JRinFL. If you and my friend Wartstein agree on this, I have to give it a try. Definitely. I will order a new one from one of the European Internet stores. I can get the Manix LW SPY-27 for 165 euros (some 200 USD at today's rate of exchange).

Good idea! :)

And keep in mind: Manix 2 LWs with stiff action are most likely still rather rare (all three I have/had were just fine!)
Also I have the impression the few times people talked about stiff action on a Manix it were exclusives (just my impression!)
Perhaps with those production is a bit more rushed?

Lamnia WILL check the action for you (but certainly other dealers too), they did perfectly check two Salts I ordered for this and also bladeplay.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:17 am
Good idea! :)

And keep in mind: Manix 2 LWs with stiff action are most likely still rather rare (all three I have/had were just fine!)
Also I have the impression the few times people talked about stiff action on a Manix it were exclusives (just my impression!)
Perhaps with those production is a bit more rushed?

Lamnia WILL check the action for you (but certainly other dealers too), they did perfectly check two Salts I ordered for this and also bladeplay.

Thanks for the hint.

I used to buy a lot from Lamnia but I switched to K&T, Coutellerie Tourangelle and Cuchillería Gomez because little by little Lamnia's inventory became increasingly scarce (and the price differential with the other EU Internet stores greater -in some cases 20% more).

When I buy knives online I usually buy 3 or 4 at the same time so as not to pay 3-4 times shipping costs. Now I was thinking of buying 3 (the Manix LW SPY27, a Cara Cara G10 and a UK PK drop point -I already have the S110V leaf-) ... and Lamnia only has one of them in stock (the Manix). CT has all 3. A real shame because I liked Lamnia's service a lot.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 pm

Hey Viacheslav [could you be so kind and tell me again how to write your name exactly? I can´t recall... :o ]!

Thanks, and yes, I guess we agree on that the liner-/frame lock is (for us) the most convenient to use of the "main" Spyderco locktypes!
I sometimes think if there had never been a linerlock, but all other locktypes, and THEN Spyderco brought out the linerlock as a great, very comfortable innovation, people would appreciate it a lot more... :rolleyes:
Yes, Gernot
Everything is correct. You were not wrong. Maybe I should put my name on the signature?

By the way, yes, you're more likely right. This option cannot be ruled out. Perhaps the attitude of people would be different.
But it doesn't seem to me that this creates difficulties for us. I usually say, "this is convenient for me."
Wartstein wrote:

/ Now on the backlock: Since you are a Police (I mean the folder ;) ) guy, I am sure meanwhile you are proficient with one handed closing of a backlock?
Not AS convenient as with a linerlock, and takes a bit more getting used to, but still very comfortable - here are three vids I made some time ago with several backlock closing methods (each one time slow, two times regular speed). Of course there are more ways of one handed closing.
Thank you very much for the video. This is actually helpful to me. I do not have the skills to close the backlock with one hand. But I will gladly study this instruction.

well, as already mentioned earlier in another topic:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 am

One thing that speaks for the comp.lock: It is both a lock for "newbs" AND more experienced knife users, who just prefer that type for whatever reason.
While the backlock certainly does take some more getting used to till it plays out all of its advantages, and so imho is better suited for people who use their knives a bit more frequently
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Higher wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Hey Viacheslav [could you be so kind and tell me again how to write your name exactly? I can´t recall... :o ]!
Yes, Gernot
Everything is correct. You were not wrong. Maybe I should put my name on the signature?
Wartstein wrote:
Thank you very much for the video. This is actually helpful to me. I do not have the skills to close the backlock with one hand. But I will gladly study this instruction.

well, as already mentioned earlier in another topic:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 am

One thing that speaks for the comp.lock: It is both a lock for "newbs" AND more experienced knife users, who just prefer that type for whatever reason.
While the backlock certainly does take some more getting used to till it plays out all of its advantages, and so imho is better suited for people who use their knives a bit more frequently

Hi Viacheslav,

So I did recall the spelling of your name rightly anyway! :)
But it sure is a good thing that you put it in your signature now.

Speaking of your signature: Man, it is really cool that you also linked all those old Spyderco catalogues there!!
But this is easy to miss, perhaps you should start a thread to point people towards this source of knowledge in you signature?!

/ Cool you found that older post of mine!! :)

And yes, of course I stand by it: One of the really cool things and advantages of the comp.lock is the ease of one handed use for "newbs" or people who handle their knives just rarely (this does of course not mean that the comp.lock would not be cool for experienced knife users too!) - the backlock certainly takes more practice and more of a skill is to learn in order to easily operate it one handed!

/ Did you ever try the "common" method of closing a backlock one handed (not my favorite and not in my vids) by letting the choil drop on your forefinger and then close the blade the rest of the way? Most seem to prefer this technique.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm
So I did recall the spelling of your name rightly anyway! :)
But it sure is a good thing that you put it in your signature now.
Thanks to you, it will be more convenient for other forum users as well. There on the right, the bottom of the address is written, there could be a field in "the name". Perhaps the forum engine allows it. It's just not implemented.

Wartstein wrote:
Speaking of your signature: Man, it is really cool that you also linked all those old Spyderco catalogues there!!
But this is easy to miss, perhaps you should start a thread to point people towards this source of knowledge in you signature?!
There are many different sources on the Internet where there are catalogs. But they are not always available. Let there be one more. We give people the opportunity to use it. While this is interesting to me - I will try to support this source. Moreover, there are other pages there. But I am not making them available yet. It has to do with work for the Spyderco Police. This is a necessary measure due to the fact that Spydiewiki has not been updated for a long time.

Wartstein wrote:
/ Cool you found that older post of mine!! :)
And yes, of course I stand by it: One of the really cool things and advantages of the comp.lock is the ease of one handed use for "newbs" or people who handle their knives just rarely (this does of course not mean that the comp.lock would not be cool for experienced knife users too!) - the backlock certainly takes more practice and more of a skill is to learn in order to easily operate it one handed!
We need to train more XD

Wartstein wrote:
/ Did you ever try the "common" method of closing a backlock one handed (not my favorite and not in my vids) by letting the choil drop on your forefinger and then close the blade the rest of the way? Most seem to prefer this technique.
I have always done it without thinking. But now I tried and "yes"! I do just that. I never thought about it. It somehow happens "automatically". By itself.
https://files.catbox.moe/xezr41.mp4
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.