As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MotoBro

Re: As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Post by MotoBro »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:58 pm
Hi MotoBro, RAHCommanche,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Hey thanks for the welcome!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Chapp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:27 pm
Regarding the second part of your post : Nah, scalpers are scalpers, don't find them excuses. Bunch of people rushed to buy the knife at any online retailers as soon as it got discontinued. People have a bad memory about it, the price went up immediately after that.
Respectfully, this is not true. There are many threads in the BF exchange during and after the discontinuation where the C186 was sold for less than street price lightly used or NIB, many for less than $300.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

This wasn't a case of scalpers buying out the entire stock of a knife, keeping it out of the hands of the public. This was a knife that was on the market for a bit, stopped selling well enough to justify its existence, and was discontinued. I seem to remember them being around for a while after that even. The fact that the prices are inflated on the secondary market isn't Spyderco's problem, and are just how it goes when a model becomes scarce and collectible. It sucks if you miss out on a knife that really catches your eye, but then again, you didn't miss it so much as pass it up. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, that if you want something bad enough and have the means to do so, just buy it.

Frankly, I think the scalpers are just scapegoats for people that can't get something they want when they want it. I say if you want to blame anyone, blame the people that are willing to pay the scalper prices. Stop making it profitable for them and they'll have to find something else to do.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Opinion for opinion, I would never buy an Slysz Bowie. I don't like metal handles, in general, and aesthetically neither the blade nor the handle of the SB are particularly attractive to me.

But I would give a month of my pay for Spyderco to bring either Dyad (or both) back to life. Or to launch a new double bladed knife in any of the high end steels now used by Spyderco. I and many others, judging from the threads that have been opened here on this matter.

So welcome to the club of those who knock on Sal's door from time to time hoping to see our wishes come true. :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

LMAO
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Menipo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:28 pm
Opinion for opinion, I would never buy an Slysz Bowie. I don't like metal handles, in general, and aesthetically neither the blade nor the handle of the SB are particularly attractive to me.

But I would give a month of my pay for Spyderco to bring either Dyad (or both) back to life. Or to launch a new double bladed knife in any of the high end steels now used by Spyderco. I and many others, judging from the threads that have been opened here on this matter.

So welcome to the club of those who knock on Sal's door from time to time hoping to see our wishes come true. :D
The Dyad ? I had to check twice because I thought I was mistaking it for something else. :D

You're not into metal handle, but you wouldn't go as far as denying that TI framelock are a very popular mix in the knife world ?
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:17 pm
Chalk it up to a lesson learned, that if you want something bad enough and have the means to do so, just buy it.
I work in the Police and got a bad injury on-duty. I didn't pay for the surgery, but the reeducation was on me. So yeah, I missed out on the Bowie back then since I couldn't afford the Nirvana and the Bowie at the same time.

I should have left the guy run with the little girl, that's the lesson I guess ? Thanks for the advice.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Chapp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:35 pm

The Dyad ? I had to check twice because I thought I was mistaking it for something else. :D

I'm really sorry but I don't get the joke ...

Chapp wrote:

You're not into metal handle, but you wouldn't go as far as denying that TI framelock are a very popular mix in the knife world ?

Nooooo. I wouldn't go that far. It's popular. In fact, as popular as a dozen other configurations and variants. And the fact that Spyderco does not make them again is not an epic tragedy for those of us who would like to see some of them again on the market.

Chapp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 pm

I work in the Police and got a bad injury on-duty. I didn't pay for the surgery, but the reeducation was on me. So yeah, I missed out on the Bowie back then since I couldn't afford the Nirvana and the Bowie at the same time.

I should have left the guy run with the little girl, that's the lesson I guess ? Thanks for the advice.

You have left me speechless.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Menipo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 pm
Chapp wrote:

Yeah, I can't even begin to fathom how someone can think that was even remotely what I was talking about.

Seems to me if someone likes a design this much, they would have just bought it instead of going with a different one, regardless of expectations of production longevity.

There are few guarantees in the knife world, but one of them is definitely you can't always get what you want. Some of us have just learned to live with that and move on.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Menipo wrote:
Chapp wrote:

There wasn't one, I put smiley so people relax a little. You're the first person I read asking for it to come back. So much that I thought you were speaking about something else. Can't put it in the same bag as the SB.

The difference with the SB is that the SB has a sizeable following. Can't put hard numbers on it but anyone trying to handwave its current popularity get a side-eye from me and is living in a bubble.
StuntZombie wrote:
Menipo wrote:
Chapp wrote:

Yeah, I can't even begin to fathom how someone can think that was even remotely what I was talking about.

Seems to me if someone likes a design this much, they would have just bought it instead of going with a different one, regardless of expectations of production longevity.

There are few guarantees in the knife world, but one of them is definitely you can't always get what you want. Some of us have just learned to live with that and move on.
You assumed I could do it, but I couldn't. I had to make a choice while still supporting a company I like and a hobby that's important to me. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course. I could have been hit the other way if the Nirvana became the graal instead of the Bowie.

I was in a rough spot, both financial and health wise, had to chose one knife over the other and got hit by a very rare market hazard that made the Bowie one of the most sought after discontinued production knife ever made, if not the most, to a degree unique to that knife. There's no lesson to learn here, it's the first time it happened to that degree and it will probably never happen again. Catching lightning in a bottle and all that.
spoonrobot wrote:
Chapp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:27 pm
Regarding the second part of your post : Nah, scalpers are scalpers, don't find them excuses. Bunch of people rushed to buy the knife at any online retailers as soon as it got discontinued. People have a bad memory about it, the price went up immediately after that.
Respectfully, this is not true. There are many threads in the BF exchange during and after the discontinuation where the C186 was sold for less than street price lightly used or NIB, many for less than $300.
You remember wrong then. There weren't many threads. Spyderco announced the discontinuation of the Bowie Nov 07, 2017, by our very own Kristi.
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:04 am
Hey, everyone: I'm bumping this back up for an update. We've recently added the C186TIP - Slysz Bowie to the list of discontinued items for 2018. I've edited my original post accordingly but I didn't want it to get overlooked.

Kristi
As far as I remember, there was a few threads created in BF rightly after and the Bowie were taken in literally seconds, the same day each single time (it even was a running joke). I can remember one or two threads under 300 after the Nov 07 2017, but certainly not many. After January 2018, when people got back from holidays, the price started to increase. In February the settled price was already 350 and again taken in litteral seconds each time.

People can use the search function, I'm sure it's easy to check. I'm quite sure of myself.

Edit : Here's an exemple, with prices being mentioned at the end of the thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1556493/
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

It's a good thing when your targeted audience is wanting more than you can possibly provide, even though you are doing everything possible to fulfill the needs. Not the best scenario, but much much better than having unutilized capacity because your products are not in demand.

Congratulations to Spyderco for creating the demand, it is very very difficult to instill this level of desire in the open market. Certain core values will almost always insure success.

One story I heard a while back (I assume it's true) is that Mr. Glesser once responded to a customer's complaint about the cost of replacing the stock spoon clip with aftermarket deep carry clips, surely Spyderco could change the clip design and everybody would be happy. The response was something along the lines of..."Yes, we could but I would rather not ruin someone else's success."

Yeah, it costs me every time I have to pay for a Lynch clip, but I respect the reasoning and sincerity behind it.

Spyderco customer for life.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Would love a Slysz Bowie with a steel insert.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Chapp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:46 pm
Edit : Here's an exemple, with prices being mentioned at the end of the thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1556493/
The end of February is not when it was discontinued. The production run was not bought by "scalpers" and prices did not increase as drastically as quickly as you claim. The knife was in production for almost three years, it's unfortunate that you were not able to purchase one but I do not believe it is a stain or any other derogatory mark against the company. I'd wager only a very small minority of enthusiasts is even aware of this model's recent rise in popularity and even smaller portion actually cares.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As a fan, I find it sad that people think Spyderco should keep making slow sellers just because they missed the boat back when.
Danke

Post by Danke »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 pm
As a fan, I find it sad that people think Spyderco should keep making slow sellers just because they missed the boat back when.
No kidding. They need to bring back the Rock Lobster first.

And now they should list some of the "future hot" knives so we can buy low.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Chapp wrote:
Menipo wrote:
Chapp wrote:

There wasn't one, I put smiley so people relax a little. You're the first person I read asking for it to come back. So much that I thought you were speaking about something else. Can't put it in the same bag as the SB.

Maybe I am the first person you read who asked for them to come back, but I'm not the only one who did it recently:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88382

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88480

Chapp wrote:
Menipo wrote:
Chapp wrote:

The difference with the SB is that the SB has a sizeable following. Can't put hard numbers on it but anyone trying to handwave its current popularity get a side-eye from me and is living in a bubble.

AMEN.

(Considering that living in a bubble is a step (or two) below having a stain on one's own reputation, I think I should consider myself honored :D)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:19 pm
Chapp wrote:
The end of February is not when it was discontinued. The production run was not bought by "scalpers" and prices did not increase as drastically as quickly as you claim. The knife was in production for almost three years, it's unfortunate that you were not able to purchase one but I do not believe it is a stain or any other derogatory mark against the company. I'd wager only a very small minority of enthusiasts is even aware of this model's recent rise in popularity and even smaller portion actually cares.
I was being polite with you, so let me put it more bluntly : there weren't "many threads" on BF under 300 dollar after Nov 07, 2017 like you claimed. Only one or two on BF and it's easy to verify (I just did). You were wrong in your first post, period.

Plus, I never said the price immediately increased "drastically". I just said, word for word that the "price went up immediately" after its discontinuation which it did (and not just on BF by the way). Never used the word drastically or something along this line in the post you quoted, stop putting words or arguments in my mouth, thanks. On December already, there were already 350 SB being sold on Ebay and reddit, I remember it very well but again, we probably live in two different dimensions.

I'll let you have the final word on the matter. I don't care about Mandela's effect market.
Menipo wrote:

Maybe I am the first person you read who asked for them to come back, but I'm not the only one who did it recently:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88382

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88480
Oof two threads on a small forums, what a phenomenon /s. Really took the knife world by storm.

Let me get this straight : are you trying to say that the SB situation is nothing special or that the Dyad is in the same bag and if not, what's the point of comparision with the SB exactly ?

I'm starting to get tired of all those people who can't swallow that their favourite ones aren't getting as much attention as the SB and feel the need to make people remember they exist. I know weirdos who swear by drinking fresh pig blood out of corpses, that doesn't make it popular.

I don't remember the forum being that petty m, childish (posting "troll" insults or baby crap pictures, for real ?) or people being that protective over Spyderco, especially people with probably a quarter of my Spyderco collection. Back then, we used to give crap to Spyderco for not letting us open and maintain our stuff without voiding the warranty (and it changed) and gave even more crap to the few weirdos defending that choice. Today we're giving excuses to scalpers, trying to handwave the popularity of one of Spyderco greatest marvel and being over defensive about one of the most puzzling choice Spyderco ever made (which is saying something). What a sad state of affairs. So yeah, I'm doubling on what I said in my first post, as a fan I'm really not ok with Spyderco letting scalpers or greedy mf getting away with SB current situation. It's a stain on Spyderco's reputation to me and I really hope that it will change in a near future with a re-release and a straight communication around it.

That's my last comment on the matter. I don't mind people disagreeing, but I'm vastly disappointed by the level of answers here, it's not the forum I remember. Thanks to the few people who were understanding and tried to participate in good faith. For the rest, keep going at it until there is only three ultra protective fan left, brushing eachothers pubic hairs while they stare at the five Spyderco they bought used (probably the people Spyderco should listen hey). That's the way I guess.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hey @Chapp, relax and take a chill pill...I do agree with most of your points but that isn't the way to prove a point. Let's not get angry over non-responses and trolling, but rather engage with those who disagree but offer valid opinions on the matter.

Going back on topic, let's just hope and pray for a reissue or an update of the Slysz Bowie. The market is there, the statistics to back up the market is there, everything is there but product itself. Like I said earlier, if the Ayoob can be done again, I cannot see why the Slysz Bowie can't. Have faith!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Danke wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 pm
No kidding. They need to bring back the Rock Lobster first.

And now they should list some of the "future hot" knives so we can buy low.
I've had my fingers crossed for the Barong for about a decade now. Look at these prices! People really hated the foliage green back then but man did I love it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 am
I've had my fingers crossed for the Barong for about a decade now. Look at these prices! People really hated the foliage green back then but man did I love it.

Do keep in mind that people can "ask" anything they want for an item they own. Whether or not someone is willing to pay their asking price is another matter altogether. I would suggest never, ever, using the BIN prices of unsold "collectable" Spydercos on eBay as an indicator of anything other than either wishful thinking or an attempt to inflate the perceived value of another example of the same item. The selling price of a sold item, and preferably the average selling price of 3 or more of that item, is a much more valid reflection of the item's "current market value". FWIW, the only Schempp Barong in that category right now was a Tom Krein regrind that went for $285. I realize it can be argued that a "stock" knife is worth considerably more to collectors than one that's been modified, but it can be equally argued that at least some users will feel professional modifications may add to value.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!