Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IG-88

Re: Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Post by IG-88 »

sal wrote: I would guess that sprints in the future are possible when the "right" combination is decided on.

sal
A damascus 3.5 would be nice :) My damascus Caly 3 is missing his big brother :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:Hi SharpCdn,

Welcome to our forum.

The ZDP Caly 3.5 is still in the line. It's a small afi market that buys the design. The maker is also having some issues. I would guess that sprints in the future are possible when the "right" combination is decided on.

sal
Could the Caly be given to another maker? Taichung? A Damascus Caly sounds great to me.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

So, the regular production g10 Caly's are dead... Long Live the Caly 3 & 3.5!!!

I actually just pulled out my sb 3.5 a few days ago for the holiday weekend. What a great blade. Looks like it's decision time on whether I want a vg-10 as well for back-up/rotation...
:spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sorry to hear about Moki, Sal. Hope the best for them and knives like the Caly can rebound.
sok

Post by sok »

sal wrote:I carry the 3.5 SB quite a bit.

sal

Which handle do you have paired up with that SB blade?
sal

Post by sal »

sok wrote: Which handle do you have paired up with that SB blade?
Stock gray G-10

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Please bring on that Moki Super Blue Kiwi4 with Grey G10 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You know you want to. :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Please bring on that Moki Super Blue Kiwi4 with Grey G10 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You know you want to. :) :) :) :) :) :)
I'll buy one tomorrow...where do I sign?
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

so the cancellation of the G10 3.5 was a production issue, a sales issue, or both? I am still at a loss and just assumed I could always get a second if anything happened to my daily EDC. Have a spare inbound now but that ties up knife money in that one that could be used to try something new or a sprint. I am too poor to enjoy this hobby so much
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I only way I could live with this would be if they came out with the Caly 3.75 that I suggested several months ago.
Donut

Post by Donut »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I only way I could live with this would be if they came out with the Caly 3.75 that I suggested several months ago.
I was wondering if there was going to be a Caly 3.75 or Caly 3.25 or something.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Probably not a 3.75 as I beleive that would be close to the original Calypso which proved to be too large for most. We've discussed a 2.5, but I not seen anything materialize since presented.

sal
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

sal wrote:Probably not a 3.75 as I beleive that would be close to the original Calypso which proved to be too large for most. We've discussed a 2.5, but I not seen anything materialize since presented.

sal
3.4?... :D
sok

Post by sok »

The important thing is that I have enough VG-10 stashed to get me by. It will be interesting to watch the stock start dwindling and see where the prices go.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think a 3.25 would be perfect. I've thought of modding one for this.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JNewell wrote:Ygou sometimes wonder whether the order is actually going to go through (was someone else buying the same knife at the same time?) but I got the email so it probably did go through. :) I was surprised when the G10 Caly3 was discontinued, but it was, so this actually doesn't surprise me. :
John,
I was surprised when Caly3 was discontinued. I was stunned was I learned that caly3.5 is discontinued. For some reason i thought that Caly3 was replaced with caly3.5. It looks like I was wrong
Donut

Post by Donut »

2.5 would essentially be a G-10 version of the Caly Jr. That sounds pretty sweet to me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bh49 wrote:
JNewell wrote:Ygou sometimes wonder whether the order is actually going to go through (was someone else buying the same knife at the same time?) but I got the email so it probably did go through. :) I was surprised when the G10 Caly3 was discontinued, but it was, so this actually doesn't surprise me. :
John,
I was surprised when Caly3 was discontinued. I was stunned was I learned that caly3.5 is discontinued. For some reason i thought that Caly3 was replaced with caly3.5. It looks like I was wrong
Only the VG-10 version is discontinued...you can still buy the 3 and 3.5 in CF scales and laminated ZDP-189 blade versions. I have one of each, and I don't, nor have ever seen the need for a G10 scaled version, and I prefer ZDP so the discontinuation won't affect me at all. I think the handle ergonomics are good enough that the smooth scales of the CF versions provide more than enough traction. I have other knives much more suited for hard work, and see the Caly series as more of a gentlemans/office type knife anyways and the CF scales are much more suited to this role IMO. I`m probably in the minority regarding this, and as such let the flaming begin lol.

---> Branden
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
bh49 wrote:
John,
Only the VG-10 version is discontinued...you can still buy the 3 and 3.5 in CF scales and laminated ZDP-189 blade versions. I have one of each, and I don't, nor have ever seen the need for a G10 scaled version, and I prefer ZDP so the discontinuation won't affect me at all. I think the handle ergonomics are good enough that the smooth scales of the CF versions provide more than enough traction. I have other knives much more suited for hard work, and see the Caly series as more of a gentlemans/office type knife anyways and the CF scales are much more suited to this role IMO. I`m probably in the minority regarding this, and as such let the flaming begin lol.
The softness of the 420J2 steel is my only concern with the CF version. Well, that and the higher cost over the standard model.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It does cost more, but the model lives one so it's only a variation that's being discontinued. I have an uncle who works construction and isn't interested in the technical specifications of knives in any way, but likes Spydercos for the one handed opening and quality, and he's been using a CF Caly3 for years now. I see it more of a gentlemans knife and if I was in his position I'd use a Millie or PM2, but the CF version is more than capable of hard use...I just see better alternatives with hard use as an agenda. As to the laminate...it is more easily scratched, but it's also a neat design feature that you don't see on every knife, and I feel in this case lends itself to less construction oriented carry (Not that I haven't carried mine at work). I've sparked a number of conversations regarding my Caly's with non-knife people curious about the strange line running down the blade near the edge, and I feel it augments the performance anyhow so it's win-win, as long as scratching on a user isn't an issue, which for me goes without saying. I expect my user knives to show wear eventually, regardless of what I put them through.

---> Branden