Brass or Copper Spyderco. Please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

I wouldn't mind a Kopa with mokume inlays.
Or a Caly with mokume bolsters.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote:We're not opposed. Hasn't been requested much. Wouldn't work for functional parts like locks. Could work for scales, bolsters, liners, trim, etc.

sal
What about solid brass slabs for the Pingo? All other components schould still work, just replace the FRN scales?

Something like this would also look great on a Kiwi or Kopa!

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ChaoticMayhem65

Post by ChaoticMayhem65 »

Blerv wrote:That's amazing! Tks for sharing!

I'm thinking solid brass handles :) I guess you could do scales or liners but the appearance looks great and would work for almost any knife I think. Like I said, not an engineer but it's pretty easy to work with compared to high hardness steel or fibrous products.

If they did an ATR in brass I might very well have a heart attack. I know the CPF folks would go ballistic for a quality folder in any of those materials to match their custom lights. The Chapparel would be a great candidate, IMHO.

Here's my Macs Custom SST-50 EDC the day I got it and then about a year later from casual carry and no polishing.

Really Brass, Copper, Bronze...anything works for me!

Note: I'm not sure how much weaker a folder if well designed would be based on materials alone. That's definitely another discussion well above my pay grade and education. I'll take it cosmetically though anytime.
Man that is a sexy flashlight. Is it just me or is there something about nicely machined metal that is just awesome! I dont know what it is but it just gets me going!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChaoticMayhem65

Blerv wrote:Thanks :D . Mac does great work at a fair price.
How much will one of those things set you back? Battery and charger n all.
I know I love my stream light stinger with the led adaptor head but its only 300 lumens I believe and can't even compare to the beauty of your Mac. But then again I use and abuse my streamlight. It has taken some nasty falls.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'll send ya a PM with a flood of info! :D
ChaoticMayhem65

Blerv wrote:I'll send ya a PM with a flood of info! :D
Cool. Thanks!!
sal

Post by sal »

Cheese & Rice, Blerv.

Ok, let's talk. Brass liners? brass bolsters? full scale? stampling? Let's design a knife.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

sal wrote:Cheese & Rice, Blerv.

Ok, let's talk. Brass liners? brass bolsters? full scale? stampling? Let's design a knife.

sal
Haha! Thanks Sal! :)

If I had to pick something it would be the Manix2 or Native5. It seems easier to put scales and a backspacer on than some of these nested knives. Plus having a "Golden Sprint" would satisfy my desires of punnery. :p

As they say though, beggars can't be choosers so the fact that this might be more than a shameless nagging is pretty cool. :D
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I vote for a knife with steel liners and brass/bronze/copper scales. By order of preference:
- Caly 3, but with bronze or copper washers and screw together construction (I consider it as the best looking spyderco folding knife shape, but I don't like pinned construction).
- Lum chinese or UKPK (if the back of the handle of the UKPK will not be sanded).
- Dragonfly.

Fluted brass/bronze/copper would be awesome to have a more contrasted patina.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
ChaoticMayhem65

Blerv wrote:Haha! Thanks Sal! :)

If I had to pick something it would be the Manix2 or Native5. It seems easier to put scales and a backspacer on than some of these nested knives. Plus having a "Golden Sprint" would satisfy my desires of punnery. :p

As they say though, beggars can't be choosers so the fact that this might be more than a shameless nagging is pretty cool. :D
Manix 2 would be awesome with brass handles and i could care less about weight, i like a hefty feeling knife. For that matter i think any model in a sprint run with brass handles would be awesome.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ChaoticMayhem65 wrote:Manix 2 would be awesome with brass handles and i could care less about weight, i like a hefty feeling knife. For that matter i think any model in a sprint run with brass handles would be awesome.
I would also be very please with any Golden sprint. I personally thing a bolstered Manix 2 or Native 5 would be super!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I may not be Cheese, Rice or Blerv, but I'd love to get a Super blue Dialex Junior with textured bronze or copper bolsters and some sort of wood burl or CF handles. Since that is not likely to happen, I may just have to try and mod one myself (minus the SB blade).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sounds good Jabba :) . Any if these three materials would make me happy in any configuration.
jnsn

Post by jnsn »

UKPK in brass with polished hardware, blade, and clip? mmmm.
[CENTER]HAVE: sage 1, chokwe, gayle bradley, UKPK, wooden dragonfly, grasshopper, bug, bug set, kiwi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
greenfly

Post by greenfly »

Yes to a Steampunk Spydie from me especially a slippie.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

sal wrote:Cheese & Rice, Blerv.

sal
I'm partial to brass scales. A brass handled Spyderco would look great. Cant wait to see, how this one pans out.

I am very fond of the patina, that brass gets after a while.
How ever, one could just polish the scales.

Here is my SAK SPARTAN retrofitted with a rust brown spacer and 4mm brass scales (note; tweezer & toothpick compartments eliminated).

sal

Post by sal »

Chuck B is making a textured phosphur bronse scale that would be nice on a Chaparral.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SpyderScout, that SAK is jawdropping! :D
sal wrote:Chuck B is making a textured phosphur bronse scale that would be nice on a Chaparral.

sal
Oh nice! :)
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

rororo64 wrote:i want the techno with a brass backspacer...
oh yes!!!!!!!