Future Rockjumpers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Future Rockjumpers?

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:48 am
The last sentence by Sal at least gives hope that the Rock Jumper may come back in a limited production in the future . I personally like that idea and hope to see it happen . MG2
I love that idea Dan!!! 👊
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:36 am
Well I don’t do much rock climbing although I have on occasion, but this type pays better 😉
Top man! 👍🏻

What saws are you running?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

All Husqi XP’s bro, well except for a couple Stihl 201 T’s…535ixp/550xp/372xp/395xp
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:56 am
All Husqi XP’s bro, well except for a couple Stihl 201 T’s…535ixp/550xp/372xp/395xp
Beautiful machines. I love porting the 3 series XP’s pre x-torq - they have a lot in the bank. I’ve yet to get my nefarious mitts on a 550xp but it looks great on paper.

As for the pic - I literally ordered one of those this afternoon 🥳 now just the interminable wait for it to get to this side of the planet.
- Al

Dream knives -
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:31 am
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:56 am
Beautiful machines. I love porting the 3 series XP’s pre x-torq - they have a lot in the bank. I’ve yet to get my nefarious mitts on a 550xp but it looks great on paper.

As for the pic - I literally ordered one of those this afternoon 🥳 now just the interminable wait for it to get to this side of the planet.
Yeah the pre x-torq is the way to go imo…we only ported one but Holy Rippin’ Reaper Batman!!! AFA the wait for the RJ, all I can say is it’ll be worth it 😉
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

A G10 sprint run would be very cool in the future. Special steel and handle you know it would sell out.

For those on the fence, there are a lot of great deals on the RJ out there right now. Like, no brainer just pick one up to try deals. My PE version is always with me when I'm doing any kind of project. I rotate through other work knives with belly, but always make sure I have my well loved RJ. Just ordered a SE one to give serrations on a wharncliffe a try.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:58 pm
i wanted a rj pretty bad because of the handle. however, i kind of wanted an overall smaller knife to fill that wc blade role and ended up going with a delica wc. ultimately, the more neutral rj handle design in the size of a delica would've been preferable for me, but i've learned to love my wc delica. i really think i would've loved the rj though. might still pick one up just because, but i'm more inclined to try the k390 leaf instead at this point.
I couldn't agree more. The RJ is a very well executed design, and probably sized about right if they had climbers and outdoor use in mind, but I prefer my WCs smaller. With the blade stock and edge length of the Delica, and a handle length to match, I'd be all over this design and it would really challenge my DF2 WC for a daily carry.
I'm keeping my RJ for now, but I really don't have a lot of use for a WC this big.
JoviAl wrote: Just out of interest I wonder how many climbers actually bought one 🤔 I’m an avid Trad and sport climber myself of 20+ years and I have literally never heard Spyderco mentioned in that community. It’s pretty rare that I need a knife when climbing admittedly (you can cut rope and rap cord by hitting it with something hard like a rock or a cam lobe while it is pulled tight over a feature in the rock). I do carry a knife in my sport route bolting kit, but I’ve barely used it climbing in over 18 years of ownership - it’s just there in case someone has left ab tat on a bolt hanger that is blocking the hole. I’d be up for swapping it for a Spyderco but it is hands down the least used knife I own.
I did most of my climbing before I knew about Spyderco, before I was into knives at all.
If you're not into knives, you buy what you're exposed to through your driving activity, e.g. climbing shops, climbing brands and other climbers that are exposed to the same shops and brands. I never owned a Petzl Spatha, but that's what I knew about at the time, and probably what I would have bought if I realized I needed a knife on my climbs.

It's been the same with pretty much every activity I've immersed myself in be it hunting, search and rescue, backpacking etc. All of those activities exposes you to a rather closed ecosystem of gear and users. This is even true for the professional trades I've dabbled in. I did a whole lot more of everything that's exciting back in my younger days, and really wish I'd stumble into Spyderco at an earlier time. Not because of the extra money I would have spent, but there are some missed opportunities to really put them to use, see what they're good for and compare them to the competition out in the "field", where it really counts.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:54 am
Just out of interest I wonder how many climbers actually bought one 🤔 I’m an avid Trad and sport climber myself of 20+ years and I have literally never heard Spyderco mentioned in that community. It’s pretty rare that I need a knife when climbing admittedly (you can cut rope and rap cord by hitting it with something hard like a rock or a cam lobe while it is pulled tight over a feature in the rock). I do carry a knife in my sport route bolting kit, but I’ve barely used it climbing in over 18 years of ownership - it’s just there in case someone has left ab tat on a bolt hanger that is blocking the hole. I’d be up for swapping it for a Spyderco but it is hands down the least used knife I own.

Well, being a climber myself I´ve said it before:

While to me personally black FRN with liners and VG10 is a perfect platform for the first iteration of a Spydie (and not only the first iteration, even more so in SE)...
- when it comes to marketing the RJ (also) as a climbing, mountaineering, outdoor utility knife, this ẃas imo definitely less than ideal:

- Most mountaineers and climbers naturally tend to like light gear, and so a linerless FRN handle and consequently lighter knife probably would have been more attractive to those

- And this share of the market also often times want high viz colors.

- Plus: Being able to advertize a climbing knife as "almost untouchable by the elements" (so completely rustproof) most likely would have helped too

Combining this three points, I could very well imagine that a high viz, Salt Rock Jumper could have been more successful - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:14 pm
Combining this three points, I could very well imagine that a high viz, Salt Rock Jumper could have been more successful - ?
absolutely
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wartstein wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:54 am
Just out of interest I wonder how many climbers actually bought one 🤔 I’m an avid Trad and sport climber myself of 20+ years and I have literally never heard Spyderco mentioned in that community. It’s pretty rare that I need a knife when climbing admittedly (you can cut rope and rap cord by hitting it with something hard like a rock or a cam lobe while it is pulled tight over a feature in the rock). I do carry a knife in my sport route bolting kit, but I’ve barely used it climbing in over 18 years of ownership - it’s just there in case someone has left ab tat on a bolt hanger that is blocking the hole. I’d be up for swapping it for a Spyderco but it is hands down the least used knife I own.

While to me personally black FRN with liners and VG10 is a perfect platform for the first iteration of a Spydie (and not only the first iteration, even more so in SE)...
- when it comes to marketing the RJ (also) as a climbing, mountaineering, outdoor utility knife, this ẃas imo definitely less than ideal:

- Most mountaineers and climbers naturally tend to like light gear, and so a linerless FRN handle and consequently lighter knife probably would have been more attractive to those

- Plus: Being able to advertize a climbing knife as "almost untouchable by the elements" (so completely rustproof) most likely would have helped too

I wish they had followed the path that you have suggested at the beginning. I can’t say for sure if sales would have been different but makes sense to me . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:

I absolutely agree with you on all of the above, with the possible additional caveat of consider selling it as a set which includes the knife *and* a small portable method of sharpening it. A knife is neither use nor ornament blunt, but I don’t know many climbers that have even an awareness of keeping their knives sharp (or how to). This goes doubly for SE. I often give PE knives as gifts as they’re so much more obvious how to sharpen.

If a removable thin cylindrical diamond sharpening rod could be integrated into a cavity in the FRN handle (i’m envisioning a bit like the pen on some SAK designs) then that would make it instantly more appealing to the wider climbing community. I’d arrange to send one to a few key climbing InstaTubers like Magnus Midtbo to get wide community exposure - everything seems to be consumed through these online cults of personality these days.
- Al

Dream knives -
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I climb trees a lot, just because I enjoy it.
If Florida had more rocks, I would climb them too.
Anyway, the serrated Rockjumper is my favorite knife overall and the best knife for the job.
My K390 Leafjumper is my second favorite.

However, here are my thoughts.

A lot of the trees I climb are mangroves on the gulf coast, basically in my backyard. I often use my knives to collect any lost or tangled lines, ropes, and trash in the trees or their roots.
This is where my knives see a lot their use while climbing and where I start to greatly prefer Salts and bright colors.

I think the best version for this use would be a brightly colored Salt Rockjumper with serrated options.
The knife is already light enough, but I would still consider further weight reduction to be an improvement. Could be a FRN lightweight, or linerless G10, or something else.

I think the most popular possible version would be a red-orange colored handle and MagnaCut blade.
While, I might personally prefer a serrated hollow ground blade like you might find on an H2 Salt, the MagnaCut (which I assume would be flat ground) would certainly work great for my niche use and simultaneously attract the attention of a broader market.
I just think MagnaCut is very appealing and practical for all kinds of knife people for all kinds of uses right now. In the same vein, red-orange is a proven aerospace and maritime color that probably puts off less people than yellow or bright green and is more exciting than black.

For a more fun idea, I’ve always thought a Zome Rockjumper would be cool. For example, multicolor Zome splotches on a grey base that mimics the colorful climbing holds of a boulder in a climbing gym, or all red splotches that seem to be more common in other styles and routes (I don’t know everything about climbing gym stuff, even if I do enjoy it). Another possibility is a slightly more on-brand nod to outdoor climbing by trying to mimic a natural rock like limestone or a grey colored rock.

To continue, though, I’m also fine with other avenues. It doesn’t have to be a Rockjumper that fills the Rockjumper niche.

It could a different model in the future.

I recall the possibility of a Golden Made lockback version of the Polestar. That could end up being a handle forward design. Something like that may feasibly become popular and lead to some very exciting variations.

If there were a stainless, but not Salt rated, Rockjumper with black or dull FRN that had steel liners, I would prefer it be as inexpensive as possible and more of a beater.
Enter a handle-forward lockback Byrd Knife.
I would want it serrated and hollow ground, but that’s just me.
I want a Byrd knife that makes use of the handle-forward concept and neutral ergonomics of the Jumpers in general.
I would buy a few as backups. Something like that could foreseeably be all I really need in that niche.
Spyderco wouldn’t have to bother doing anything fancy that way (although it might be cool to get a slight upgrade from 8Cr13MoV, at least in corrosion resistance).
This is the kind of knife I could take with me on the days where I’m climbing trees, digging up fossils, picking up trash, looking for animals, and more. When I might abuse my knife a little. The Byrds are good for that sort of thing while still cutting like a any good Spyderco.
If it gets discontinued, it is more affordable to buy extras too.

As long as serrations are on the table, the difference between the Leafjumper’s and Rockjumper’s blades are not very significant to me. Teeth help close the margin by which mildly curved edges are disadvantaged compared to wharncliffes, in my uses.

I’m just saying that anything could happen!
I haven’t even mentioned some of my other ideas that would fulfill basically the same niche for me.

I am eagerly looking forward to the larger version of the Rockjumper. I believe it’s the “CliffJumper”? Seems fitting :winking-tongue

Given my tree climbing tendencies the leaf blade “Sequoia” doesn’t sound too bad either!

Maybe it’s the bigger ones that end up doing well and get the variations or interesting “standard” materials/construction.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:59 pm
I am eagerly looking forward to the larger version of the Rockjumper. I believe it’s the “CliffJumper”? Seems fitting :winking-tongue

Given my tree climbing tendencies the leaf blade “Sequoia” doesn’t sound too bad either!

Maybe it’s the bigger ones that end up doing well and get the variations or interesting “standard” materials/construction.

Enjoyed reading your post and I do like to climb trees too... there is just so much rock and mountains around here that in the end I rarely "switch to trees"...

/ I really hope for you that there actually will be a 'Sequoia/Rockjumper XL" ... I am.not 100 % optimistic, now that Sal said (in this very thread) that they learned that the demand for wgarncliffes in general turned out to be not as high as they anticipated and they actually had to reduce the amount of wharnie models in the line up... combined with his other statement that the future of the whole handle forward backlock concept is not entirely clear yet makes me a bit worried for the Sequoia... but perhaps I am too pessimistic here.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:57 am
Cl1ff wrote:

Enjoyed reading your post and I do like to climb trees too... there is just so much rock and mountains around here that in the end I rarely "switch to trees"...

/ I really hope for you that there actually will be a 'Sequoia/Rockjumper XL" ... I am.not 100 % optimistic, now that Sal said (in this very thread) that they learned that the demand for wgarncliffes in general turned out to be not as high as they anticipated and they actually had to reduce the amount of wharnie models in the line up... combined with his other statement that the future of the whole handle forward backlock concept is not entirely clear yet makes me a bit worried for the Sequoia... but perhaps I am too pessimistic here.
The Cliffjumper completely passed me by - that is one extremely appealing proposition, especially if it comes in a Magnacut salt permutation.
- Al

Dream knives -
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I wonder about the popularity of wharncliffes..
I don't follow other knife brands, so whatever catches my attention is very much by random, but I'm a knife enthusiast and such facts doesn't go unnoticed by the big tech gods, so I get served a diverse menu of knife related suggestions by Google et all. And with everything that's flies into my radar coverage, I can't help being left with the impression that there is a surge in wharncliffe offerings across the different brands.
Could it be that wharnecliffes are still just as popular, or even more so, but that the competition is more fierce? I mean, even Mr. friendly blade shapes, Ben Peterson, has released a wharncliffe Baby Banter now.
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:11 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I absolutely agree with you on all of the above, with the possible additional caveat of consider selling it as a set which includes the knife *and* a small portable method of sharpening it. A knife is neither use nor ornament blunt, but I don’t know many climbers that have even an awareness of keeping their knives sharp (or how to). This goes doubly for SE. I often give PE knives as gifts as they’re so much more obvious how to sharpen.

If a removable thin cylindrical diamond sharpening rod could be integrated into a cavity in the FRN handle (i’m envisioning a bit like the pen on some SAK designs) then that would make it instantly more appealing to the wider climbing community. I’d arrange to send one to a few key climbing InstaTubers like Magnus Midtbo to get wide community exposure - everything seems to be consumed through these online cults of personality these days.
While not in the handle, your comment gives me this idea for a new, more general purpose product, designed for portable use. I thought I should mention it here before I forget it.

It would consist of a single (medium grit?) one half size triangle sharpening rod, protector rod, and a quarter size case, a SharpMobile to go with the SharpMaker. The case could be shaped as it is now with the clamshell and two different angle holes, but being half the length and half the width. The half size sharpening rod and protector rod could slide in from the end with the clamshell cover holding them in place. As with the current Sharpmaker, the clamshell could clip to one side or the other for grip depending on which angle hole is being used. (Hole angle would be like the current Sharpmaker, but with each end hole removed so you always sharpen moving away from the support hand.) As with the Work Sharp Field Sharpener, this would give us the same SE and PE sharpening of the Sharpmaker in a much more portable package. And, as with the full size Sharpmaker, there could be optional half size rods for this also.

Edit: Already sent to Peter to add to the idea evaluation queue.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:57 am
Cl1ff wrote:
The Cliffjumper completely passed me by - that is one extremely appealing proposition, especially if it comes in a Magnacut salt permutation.

I think that the Cliffjumper (Rockjumper XL, so a wharnie) is/was already more than just a proposition, but can´t for the life of me recall if it was (is) in the stadium of "just" being planned or already got tested as a prototype by Sal...

There are several Rock/Leaf Jumper threads, probably one of those also would contain that information somewhere.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A linerless SE RJ in Magnacut is the best bet for a future sprint IMO. This might even resurrect this awesome design.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:43 pm
A linerless SE RJ in Magnacut is the best bet for a future sprint IMO. This might even resurrect this awesome design.

Agreed... but I can hardly imagine that they'll design and make molds for a linerless version just for a sprint. Really high costs as far as I know..
But perhaps not just as a sprint but as a second try for regular production? (Then they could also follow through concerning the initial announment that the RJ would "pack as much blade in the handle as possible " - which in fact it does not.
A bit more cutting edge in that compact handle is still something I'd love to see).