XL knives to look forward to

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Re: XL knives to look forward to

Post by JoviAl »

derangedhermit wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:52 am
I am hoping for word on the 4" version design of the Lil Temperance 3 LW.
I didn’t know that was a thing! That’s an exciting proposition. The only reason I don’t own a Lil Temp 3 is the blade being a bit too short for my typical uses. A longer one would be right up my alley.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I haven't heard anything about such a thing, but, never say never.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:17 am
Sal said he would draw up 3.5" and 4" versions, over in the LT3LW thread.
Stas

Post by Stas »

derangedhermit wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:03 am
cabfrank wrote:
Oh yes, he also said it could even be a lock-back version.
Also, I remember Sal said that the Caribbean XL design and prototype have existed.
So many things to look forward to...
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Well then...good news. That design would be fantastic with a longer blade.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

derangedhermit wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Can you supply the link to Sal’s mention of larger LT3LWs? I haven’t found the reference.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Stas

Post by Stas »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:13 pm
derangedhermit wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Can you supply the link to Sal’s mention of larger LT3LWs? I haven’t found the reference.
If it help you with visualization:)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93427&start=80#p1670204
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

A Caribbean XL too! Man, this is an excellent thread to wake up to! I would love a Lil Temp XL with a power lock - that would be a monster of a knife 🙂
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Stas wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:20 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
derangedhermit wrote:
cabfrank wrote:
Thanks. Now I remember Sal saying what he did.

I inferred that larger LT3LWs would be years away, not simply because he had yet to picture them, but also because his chosen maker had found the existing LT3/LT3LWs a challenge to make and might not welcome larger versions.

In short, I found little reason to hold my breath.

Indeed, Sal’s idea for a sub-3” SD-capable knife first shipped over two decades ago. It took the shape it did partly for legal carry in restricted jurisdictions and partly to offer particular martial arts with a compact tool of considerable strength.

In short, with the LT1-3’s use-case so well-researched and tightly-tailored, I wonder who besides us forumites is looking for larger versions. I’m actually quite content with LTs as they are, but my curiosity always gets the better of me.

derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

I lack the temerity to directly ask about the status of a big Lil Temperance. I think it is a great design, and might find its ideal form with a 4" blade. Called the Temerity. There, the hardest part is done.

Do we know of any big knife not currently available that Spyderco has committed to produce (besides a same-size variant of an existing design, like the Chief LW)? The best news for me would be that any one of the sans-choil designs mentioned in this thread is actually going to be made.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

My curiosity also gets me all of the time.

A while ago, maybe around the time it was first mentioned on the forum, I had the urge to sketch what I thought a bigger LT3 would look like because the Lil’Temperances’ form includes a number of unique features that I would really appreciate on a larger knife.

Actually, I have sketched a couple variations.
I guess I’ll post pictures of them this time, even though I always feel a little odd doing so.

I did these a long time ago and they are only a couple inches in actual size. Not supposed to be for anything other than satiating curiosity.
They would need to be tweaked a lot to become proper designs with the right details, but the main focus for me were the blade shapes anyway.

The typical Lil’ Temperance blade shapes are probably more feasible or likely, and already perfect, but I didn’t sketch those.

Wharncliffes for fun!

Inspired by the original trailing point(?) Lil’Temperance. I wanted to incorporate a recurve because I think it adds to the function of the blade. For example, the recurved edge “traps” materials in the cut, which I think compliments the spine of the trailing point that is intended for a different sort of trapping.
This is good for the weapon aspect, as well as the general purpose tool uses.

Although, for the recurve variant, I mostly want it to be part of a general appeal for recurves and their under-appreciated functional versatility.

About the likelihood of a larger Lil’ Temperance, I agree . There is so much going on, so it is easy to understand that certain things may have to be prioritized, especially when the design works exactly as intended at the current size and shape.
I’m not going badger anybody about anything.

I might be one to chum the water occasionally, however, because I’m honestly interested in the design concept.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:01 pm
Stas wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
derangedhermit wrote:

I inferred that larger LT3LWs would be years away, not simply because he had yet to picture them, but also because his chosen maker had found the existing LT3/LT3LWs a challenge to make and might not welcome larger versions.

Indeed, Sal’s idea for a sub-3” SD-capable knife first shipped over two decades ago. It took the shape it did partly for legal carry in restricted jurisdictions and partly to offer particular martial arts with a compact tool of considerable strength.

In short, with the LT1-3’s use-case so well-researched and tightly-tailored, I wonder who besides us forumites is looking for larger versions. I’m actually quite content with LTs as they are, but my curiosity always gets the better of me.
Don't misunderstand my frequent posts requesting 3.75+ folders. I never feel "on the outside looking in at everyone else" but when I talk about self defense, I have spent hundreds of hours in edged weapons and other martial arts classes.

All knives are fun to collect! Small knives are what most of us use every day until we are in the kitchen. But small knives are tricky to use in self defense, and the reason is because in almost all knife defense scenarios, the defender cuts or thrusts what they can reach. I like 1 inch blades but if I had to use a knife to defend myself: you have the handle/grip, the blade NOT on the target(might be up to 3+ inches), and finally the blade cutting or thrusting into the target(might be 1 to 2 inches). So you can see that getting a 1 inch blade on someone in a self defense scenario is akin to being a kamikaze pilot! You would have to be attacking and running into the opponent to make use of a 3 inch and shorter blade.

Most of the medieval edged weapons had 24 inch to 36 inch blades. IT IS HARD TO GET INSIDE or near an opponent. It is VERY hard to hit a target like a limb, foot, fist at speed under duress.

All of the courses that I was involved in start with the basic tenet that I am not the attacker, I am a defender, so if it is a game, I get to move 2nd, not 1st. I have to wait until they throw a strike at me.

Second, I was told to attacks limbs. Yes of course, there are other places to put the tip of a knife or the edge of a blade, and the longer you are around the facts do come out. Most of the Filipino martial arts actual targets ARE HIDDEN! The head(grandmaster) and those directly under him(masters and guros) are not going to discuss any of the actual targets in the first 6 months with you. So as a student you buy tons of DVDs, go to many different instructors, and pour of hundreds of hours of video to see how people DEFENDING themselves get to target areas.

Third, it is hard to hit a limb a fist, a leg, a foot when it is being explosively thrown at you in a kick or punch. It is easier to target the torso....but where? Well, you aren't told most of the time, after all, the folks instructing really don't trust you with the information! You have to seek that info over the years, the hundreds of hours of DVDs/videos, and study anatomy charts.

4 inch blades are good, solid knives for self defense. 5 is even better.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:27 am
Stas wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:42 am
This thread makes me want Manix XL.

With choil-less, handle-forward design.

In magnacut.

:winking-tongue

drew this three years ago. fingers crossed ;)
I would go nuts to get that knife in LC200N or Magnacut
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:42 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Stas wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

Don't misunderstand my frequent posts requesting 3.75+ folders. I never feel "on the outside looking in at everyone else" but when I talk about self defense, I have spent hundreds of hours in edged weapons and other martial arts classes.

All knives are fun to collect! Small knives are what most of us use every day until we are in the kitchen. But small knives are tricky to use in self defense, and the reason is because in almost all knife defense scenarios, the defender cuts or thrusts what they can reach. I like 1 inch blades but if I had to use a knife to defend myself: you have the handle/grip, the blade NOT on the target(might be up to 3+ inches), and finally the blade cutting or thrusting into the target(might be 1 to 2 inches). So you can see that getting a 1 inch blade on someone in a self defense scenario is akin to being a kamikaze pilot! You would have to be attacking and running into the opponent to make use of a 3 inch and shorter blade.

Most of the medieval edged weapons had 24 inch to 36 inch blades. IT IS HARD TO GET INSIDE or near an opponent. It is VERY hard to hit a target like a limb, foot, fist at speed under duress.

All of the courses that I was involved in start with the basic tenet that I am not the attacker, I am a defender, so if it is a game, I get to move 2nd, not 1st. I have to wait until they throw a strike at me.

Second, I was told to attacks limbs. Yes of course, there are other places to put the tip of a knife or the edge of a blade, and the longer you are around the facts do come out. Most of the Filipino martial arts actual targets ARE HIDDEN! The head(grandmaster) and those directly under him(masters and guros) are not going to discuss any of the actual targets in the first 6 months with you. So as a student you buy tons of DVDs, go to many different instructors, and pour of hundreds of hours of video to see how people DEFENDING themselves get to target areas.

Third, it is hard to hit a limb a fist, a leg, a foot when it is being explosively thrown at you in a kick or punch. It is easier to target the torso....but where? Well, you aren't told most of the time, after all, the folks instructing really don't trust you with the information! You have to seek that info over the years, the hundreds of hours of DVDs/videos, and study anatomy charts.

What, pray tell, has prompted this wall of text?

vivi

Post by vivi »

you must be new here :rofl
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:00 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:42 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Stas wrote:

What, pray tell, has prompted this wall of text?
:hugging-face

I thought I was adding to your statement regarding 3 inch self defense knives. Just wanted people to have as much information as possible.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, pro/con, just add some info on the facts about knives and self defense and what people are up against in using a knife for self defense.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:30 am
you must be new here :rofl

OOPS!

:winking-tongue
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Believe me, until you engage someone with a "wooden stick" that is only sticking out of your palm 1 to <3 inches you will not know how hard it is to defend yourself with that small weapon. You are going to be getting punched in the face and kicked in the knees and there is really no way to stop an opponent.

A 4 to 5 inch "wooden stick" stands off opponents and they cannot justify getting inside and striking you.

OK, now change wooden stick with knife blade.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The topic at hand is, "XL knives to look forward to" not sub 3 inch blades and I an defending the XL blades with reasons why an XL blade is important and highly desirable.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:59 am
The topic at hand is, "XL knives to look forward to" not sub 3 inch blades and I an defending the XL blades with reasons why an XL blade is important and highly desirable.
a self defense blade becomes way more effective the longer/larger the blade is(to the extent). But doesn’t necessarily mean a knife design with a blade over 4 inches is always better than a knife design with sub 3” blade for self defense purposes, or sub 3” blades can’t be designed for self defense. Not everybody wants or can carry knives that large but still are mindful of a tactical self defense blade as an option.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket