Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Post by Doc Dan »

Where in the world have you been? I was thinking of you just the other day.

Does that XL have flex in the handle? If so, how much?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Began to reply to individual posts in this thread, but just don´t find enough time to do this properly (will do over time):

So let me just say tentatively:

I already knew that this is a great place full of good and cordial people, but still I am almost a bit overwhelmed by all of your
"welcome back"s - appreciate that a lot and did really not expect it - main intended point when creating this thread was to
promote the Stretch XL since it became such an indispensable knife, heck, actually ITEM in my life these last month.

Thought I´d put a short "hello again" in brackets beforehand, since I was away quite long, and as said: Did not expect all your
nice and positive replies. Heartwarming!

So thanks! Good to be back. :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:01 am
Where on earth have you been ?! That aside, the serrations are not “very shallow” as you say. They are more pointy than those on the Endela and the scallops are deep enough. They are not agressive either, just moderate. When it comes to VG10 in spyderedge, I must give you that( and it breaks my heart :winking-tongue ) … VG10 performs very well. That being said I love the Stretch XL in spyderedge a lot. I own two now and looking forward to a green salt one.

P.S “Very shallow” hmmm… maybe you need to check your eyes ?! 😜😄 (I am just teasing you, I missed you bro … I expect no less than a half of page in reply ! 😉 )
Hey Marius, I´ll start here with my replies, since you rise an contentual interesting point (and forgive me if I don´t accomplish my usual at least half of a page reply standard this time... ;) )

From our previous discussions I know that you definitely have more insight in "serrations" than I have, so maybe it is that I don´t use or understand the English term "shallow" correctly?
What I mean by that is, that the scallops of the serrations are very "low" on the Stretch XL, actually even "lower" than on the Endela SE (so the scallops don´t go high up on the blade)

The pic below may illustrate what I mean - took it right after I received the Stretch XL, it is the second from the top, above it (topmost) the Endela SE (below Pac Salt SE, Salt SE, Endura CE, Delica CE)
The scallops of the Stretch are the "shallowest" (as I understand the term), "least pronounced" ones...
Don´t know if they are pointier than on the Endela, but you could very well be right on this. I´ll have to check later.

/ Where have I been? Perhaps I´ll elaborate on that later (and probably better via pm or in the of topic section) if people actually have any interest in that. But I am for sure happy to be back!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

You are right… the scallops on the Endela are deeper but the peaks are slightly more mellow. To each his own. I only wish the Endela was linerless.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Servus Gernot,

Happy New Year!
Good to read you again.

ASF
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:45 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:01 am

Hey Marius, I´ll start here with my

/ Where have I been? Perhaps I´ll elaborate on that later (and probably better via pm or in the of topic section) if people actually have any interest in that. But I am for sure happy to be back!
I'm interested.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Welcome back Warts! Been a while.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:22 am
Your part of the world sure is beautiful, Gernot.

We've been watching Woman of the Dead on Netflix, I think it's called Totenfrau in German, and man - is Tyrol a gorgeous place. I haven't been exposed to much media from Austria, aside from looking up pictures on the internet, reading world history, etc. Truly the heart of Europe.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:03 am
Welcome back! Stretch XL is indeed one of the best designs in the entire lineup. I seem to recall someone sounding the alert on that a couple of years ago. :cheap-sunglasses

Was it actually YEARS ago?
But anyway: I do recall how enthusiastic you talked about that knife when you got to handle one before its actual release - and boy, you were SOOO right!! :cheap-sunglasses
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:03 pm
Where in the world have you been? I was thinking of you just the other day.

Does that XL have flex in the handle? If so, how much?

Hey Doc, glad to be back! :smlling-eyes

Concerning "flex in the handle":

- Not at all in a way / to an amount that it would bother me in the slightest - and I do use my knives pretty "hard" or "flex provoking" I guess (cutting into wood and twisting the blade for example) - though I mainly choke up on the choil, which reduces notiveable flex.

- I can deliberately provoke a tad more side to side movement of the blade than in my (of course linered) Enduras and also than in my Pac Salt 1 (Pac Salt 1 handle should be more rigid (and heavier) than the current Pac Salt 2 handle, since it is "solid", so not "milled out" on the inside of the FRN handles like it is with the Pac Salt 2)

- When squeezing the scales together at the gap where the blade goes in: Surprisingly (I just tried) not much difference between Endura, Pac Salt 1 and Stretch XL

All in all: Concerns about potential flex should NOT keep you from getting this great model, even if you plan to use it "harder" (but still like a folder should be used).