Has Anyone Used a Spyderco Folder for Field Dressing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gamecock

Re: Has Anyone Used a Spyderco Folder for Field Dressing?

Post by Gamecock »

The Spyderco Moran is just so well done for game, I have given up using folders.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Gamecock wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:30 pm
The Spyderco Moran is just so well done for game, I have given up using folders.
Out of curiosity which blade version of the Moran are you referring to? I think they're both brilliant designs but I'm not a hunter so I'm very curious which blade you prefer.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Used a Stretch 1 ZDP-189 last year to open up and remove the internals of a mule deer. Thought the knife (blade shape and comfort of the handle) was excellent for the job (opening the belly without nicking the stomach, removing the firewall between the stomach and the vitals, slicing thru the esophagus and slicing around the anus without breaking intestine or piss bags). Used a fold up Gerber saw with bone blade to cut the pelvic bone and to open up the neck from the body to the head. An ATV ride to camp for the carcass, then hung and skinned with a Buck fixed blade. Bagged and taken to the butcher whole, minus lower legs. Delicious tenderloins, loins, sirloins, burger and sausage product to my freezer. Henckels mostly in the kitchen, just had a slice of summer sausage from last years buck w/ a shot of Woodford Reserve.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:58 pm
Used a Stretch 1 ZDP-189 last year to open up and remove the internals of a mule deer. Thought the knife (blade shape and comfort of the handle) was excellent for the job (opening the belly without nicking the stomach, removing the firewall between the stomach and the vitals, slicing thru the esophagus and slicing around the anus without breaking intestine or piss bags). Used a fold up Gerber saw with bone blade to cut the pelvic bone and to open up the neck from the body to the head. An ATV ride to camp for the carcass, then hung and skinned with a Buck fixed blade. Bagged and taken to the butcher whole, minus lower legs. Delicious tenderloins, loins, sirloins, burger and sausage product to my freezer. Henckels mostly in the kitchen, just had a slice of summer sausage from last years buck w/ a shot of Woodford Reserve.

CG
Life is good! :winking-tongue
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:58 pm

CG
That’s a nice game plan ! I usually just keep loins for grill and have the rest made into Brats and a few sticks . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Back strap…chicken fried. Ooof. I’m going to the states in October for a visit and that’s in my short list!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

For most people now-a-days, dry aged venison is one of life's forgotten or undiscovered treasures. Spyderco helps make it possible. :winking-tongue
z1r

Post by z1r »

petz462

Post by petz462 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:35 pm
When processing a large game animal, there is not one knife that is best for all that it entails. As stated before, I feel the safest option is a small blade where the forefinger tip extends over the point and the handle does not extend beyond the heel of your hand. For skinning, the SpydieChef is by far the best folding skinner on the market, IMHO. After getting your venison home and hung in a cooler for 14-21 days, you have any number of options for breaking it down. Up until that point, if I could only choose one knife, it would be the SpydieChef. While the handle extends beyond the heel of my palm, the blade is still short enough that I can extend my forefinger along the spine to the not so pointy point of the blade so I have enough control over where the edge of the blade is at all times while working blind in the abdominal cavity.

PS. It is a salt so blood and guts are not a problem. Rinse it out when you get home after a nap. :winking-tongue
Agree with skeeg11 on skinning. I used my Spydiechef to skin a Whitetail deer last fall. It worked excellent, that blade belly is really good for skinning and the grip was just fine, did not experience any slippage. Highly recommended.
Dave
USAF Retired
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

I’ve used many of mine to clean lots of fish, quail, dove, and pheasants. No large game. Nowadays, I generally use an ESEE Izula, CR2.5, or PR4 to save on cleaning time.
Slightly obsessed…
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

I haven’t used mine for field dressing but I have cut the slit at the hamstring to put the tag on them. And to cut open bags to put out corn piles.
Hebrews 4:12
Crox

Post by Crox »

Teddy0215 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:01 am
I’ve used many of mine to clean lots of fish, quail, dove, and pheasants. No large game. Nowadays, I generally use an ESEE Izula, CR2.5, or PR4 to save on cleaning time.
I can add input for large game for those into ESEE / fixed blades. I really enjoy the AGK for breaking down whitetail deer. The overall design - big handle, spear point doesn't accidently poke bits, no sharpening choil - all work together well for me.

It's the only time I stray from Spyderco. :shush

I personally have had bad experiences trying to field dressing deer with folders. Specifically, with edge-up orientation cutting through hide during field dressing, I find my middle finger can engage mid backlocks. So I stick to fixed blade and generally have plenty of room in the pack to do so.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Crox wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:24 am
Teddy0215 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:01 am
I can add input for large game for those into ESEE / fixed blades. I really enjoy the AGK for breaking down whitetail deer. The overall design - big handle, spear point doesn't accidently poke bits, no sharpening choil - all work together well for me.

It's the only time I stray from Spyderco. :shush

I personally have had bad experiences trying to field dressing deer with folders. Specifically, with edge-up orientation cutting through hide during field dressing, I find my middle finger can engage mid backlocks. So I stick to fixed blade and generally have plenty of room in the pack to do so.
I don't hunt, but I can only praise the AGK. It is designed for field dressing, but it makes for a dang good outdoor utility fixed blade.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I used my G-2 police fully serrated yesterday and it was awesome.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
tangent

Post by tangent »

The stretch 2 seems to be a natural choice. And this is exactly why we need a Salt Version of the Stretch 2 (in MagnaCut, please).
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

tangent wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:52 pm
The stretch 2 seems to be a natural choice. And this is exactly why we need a Salt Version of the Stretch 2 (in MagnaCut, please).
I agree and would be only folder size would consider over my Randall’s . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:11 pm
tangent wrote:
I could be mistaken, but don't you have a SpydieChef? If you do, mayhap give it a try skinning paint roller style. Low grit apex.
mokele

Post by mokele »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:11 pm
tangent wrote:
I cannot add anything to it. Love the stretch, and used it already, but would love a stainless linerless version of it. Stretch XL is attractive, but I don't have it yet to try. I wish there were salt versions of both
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've also used an older Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model to field dress a white tail deer a few years back. It was the plain edged version of the TEMP 1 that I used one weekend during rifle season here in Missouri. It worked great but the folders I mentioned in a previous post were also really good for that field dressing job as well.

I have no doubt that there are at least 20 Spyderco models that would do a superb job field dressing a deer or any other game animal for that matter.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:38 am
I've also used an older Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model to field dress a white tail deer a few years back. It was the plain edged version of the TEMP 1 that I used one weekend during rifle season here in Missouri. It worked great but the folders I mentioned in a previous post were also really good for that field dressing job as well.

I have no doubt that there are at least 20 Spyderco models that would do a superb job field dressing a deer or any other game animal for that matter.
Joe what you have stated pretty much sums it up . I would consider a linerless and to be honest a Pacific Salt could do the job for me of wanting to go folder . We in reality have more options already on the table than some other companies. Whatever feels good in hand and holds a good edge is the main thing . MG2
Henry David Thoreau