Your value line knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLUETYPEII

Re: Your value line knives

Post by BLUETYPEII »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:32 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:09 pm
I really enjoy my Bow River.
It’s been great in the kitchen.
I've been thinking about getting another one to try out for work. Wish they sharpened the full edge on em.
That’s a very easy fix, I did it to mine :winking-tongue

But you gotta be careful… I also know why they didn’t!
Exactly… I really don’t mind that small bit of unsharpened blade at the base. It’s quite handy for choking up on the knife. The Bow River really is a pleasure to use in the kitchen vivi, you should try it.

EDIT: FYI I think Blade HQ still has they’re exclusive Bow River on sale for like 39 right now.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:11 pm
prndltech wrote:
vivi wrote:
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:09 pm
I really enjoy my Bow River.
It’s been great in the kitchen.
I've been thinking about getting another one to try out for work. Wish they sharpened the full edge on em.

Exactly… I really don’t mind that small bit of unsharpened blade at the base. It’s quite handy for choking up on the knife. The Bow River really is a pleasure to use in the kitchen vivi, you should try it.

EDIT: FYI I think Blade HQ still has they’re exclusive Bow River on sale for like 39 right now.
I ordered the satin blade green handle version to play around with at work. Thanks for the heads up though!
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:02 pm
If your Dad does more prying than cutting, maybe you could get him one of those fancy prybars? You could hang a Manbug Salt off the lanyard if he still needs an edge! It's also a bit small to pry with.
Sometimes I feel like suggesting that too, but the knife I was talking about has a built-in screwdriver. He’d forget and just use the blade. I think he uses knives to cut things 90% percent of the time, though, and I could never get him to carry a prybar nor do I think he’d like a manbug.
I’ve given it a lot of thought and asked him all sorts of questions, had him try different knives, and showed him some technical knife stuff, but at the end of the day he’s most likely to just carry and use what he likes.

Meaning the trick is to design what he likes to be ready for whatever is likely to be thrown at it. It’s a long time project of mine.

For reference, his previous favorite knife was the CE Gerber Gator. He liked the comfortable handle and size, but thought it was a bit bulky. He also likes Spyderco’s, but I don’t have a locking version of a model he likes right now.
There are lots of quirks to the way he uses and views knives that make finding the right one challenging. I also have to consider myself a bit, because I do the sharpening and maintenance and would rather buy him a Spyderco over another company, for example.

Apologies, I’ve gone a bit off topic!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:50 pm
The tenacious is my normal value line knife that I give as gifts. It’s a good gateway into the Spyderco world. But up until this past week, I had never owned a value line Spyderco myself.

My wife bought be the Astute, and I’m blown away by the quality for the price. So far anyone I’ve shown it to that isn’t a Spyderco person, has thought it to be a much more expensive knife.

It’s hard to believe they can pack an edge that is as long as the PM2 into a handle smaller than the delica.

I polished the G10 on mine, as well as smoothed over the liner lock bar a little. I’m loving it, and it makes a really nice dress knife, for very little money.

I know the tenacious gets a lot of love, but there are a lot more value series knives out there that don’t get a lot of publicity. Thought it might be neat to have some pictures and thoughts on your favorites. Maybe some mods as well. So what are your favorite value knives, and why?

And a few pics:

PM2 and delica comparison:

Are those PM2 scales custom ? They look different from the usual ones..
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Xformer wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:30 pm

They are the normal g10 I just rounded them off. I prefer the softer edges.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:17 pm
Xformer wrote:

It looks very professional. You have a turorial somewhere ?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Yes, very nicely done. Reminds me a bit of the Boye folder handles.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:14 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Xformer wrote:

Thanks! No, I didn’t document it. But next time I do it I can take pictures along the way.

I basically just started off with a barrel sander, don’t even remember what grit, and did the basic shape I wanted. Then I moved up to higher grits to smooth out any harsh grind lines.

They aren’t perfect, but they work for me.

On the black there were some light gray fibers showing once I sanded them. I rit dyed them afterwards and that fixed the problem.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Yes, very nicely done. Reminds me a bit of the Boye folder handles.
Thank you! I hadn’t ever heard of those. Kinda neat looking though.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:20 pm
Xformer wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:14 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Xformer wrote:

Thanks! No, I didn’t document it. But next time I do it I can take pictures along the way.

I basically just started off with a barrel sander, don’t even remember what grit, and did the basic shape I wanted. Then I moved up to higher grits to smooth out any harsh grind lines.

They aren’t perfect, but they work for me.

On the black there were some light gray fibers showing once I sanded them. I rit dyed them afterwards and that fixed the problem.
Thanks mate. I really hope you can take pictures of the process one day. Like me, I know many people who want a PM2 with better shaped handle without buying additional scales for it.
millingmachine862

Post by millingmachine862 »

I reacently (this Thursday) got an Spyderco Persistance (which is btw my first Spyderco knife). The build quality is really good as for a "value" line knife, although the edges of the hole are a little bit on the sharp side (but again it is my first Spyderco so maybe it should be this way) and the action is a little bit stiff as for my liking even after lubing it. I am tottaly fine with the steel though and the knife came razor sharp out of the box (which should not be a suprise considering the brand).
The small size of this knife makes it in my opinion a really good option for carrying in a pocket when riding a bike as it does not bite the legs while bending them.
Collection: C136GP
Sorry for my English, I am still learning.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Hey Vivi - Let us know how the coating on your blacked-out Resilience wears over time. I love how DLC wears but Spyderco describes this coating as 'black oxide' and I am not familiar with that coating in use.

I'm with you on the form and function of this design. I had one in G-10 but gifted it to my brother-in-law and picked up an S35 when they were released. I use it often and it never disappoints. Also fits my hand much better than its' little brother, the Tenacious.
vivi

Post by vivi »

olywa wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:15 pm
Hey Vivi - Let us know how the coating on your blacked-out Resilience wears over time. I love how DLC wears but Spyderco describes this coating as 'black oxide' and I am not familiar with that coating in use.

I'm with you on the form and function of this design. I had one in G-10 but gifted it to my brother-in-law and picked up an S35 when they were released. I use it often and it never disappoints. Also fits my hand much better than its' little brother, the Tenacious.
The coating isn't as durable as DLC.

Interesting comparison. About the same closed size, but the Resilience has about 3/4" more edge and a larger grip area.

:unicorn
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:46 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:11 pm
prndltech wrote:
vivi wrote:

I ordered the satin blade green handle version to play around with at work. Thanks for the heads up though!
My pleasure!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”