My ideal Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: My ideal Spyderco

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:58 am

Buenos dias, Menipo! (You actually know the salutation "Grüß Gott"? Have you been to Austria or Bavaria? "Grüß Gott" is a way of greeting almost exclusively used there, and not generally in the German language..)

Concerning the "fingers all the time out of the blade path method" with a backlock: https://streamable.com/j7fjd

I´ll admit that this certainly takes more finger strength, more dexterity and a bit more practice than the quite similar way of closing with comp lock (or CBBL)
I´ll also have to say that due to a lot of climbing, playing guitar, and so on I most likely just have to have more finger strength than the average person.

Still, I think most of it is just technique and a bit practice!
One advice: When closing a backlock by releasing the lockbar with the index finger:
Try NOT to move you whole hand / all fingers to the back of the handle, but mostly JUST the index finger (so it can activate the lockbar). Especially the thumb should remain at the front end of the handle (like to be seen in the clip) Might feel awkward at first, but pretty soon quite natural and imho requires less finger strength.

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87480 Vivi explains that this very method is his preferred one on the Siren (another backlock knife), he linked this vid https://streamable.com/qlzh73 there where you can see how he performs it
Griaß God,Herr Wartstein!

It could be said that I am a Bairisch by accident because my parents spent some time in München and I was born there :cool:

Many thanks for all additional information and clues. I could not agree more. It is all about technique and practice. But spring tension also plays a key role, IMHO. Vivi said in his review "I noticed the tension on the lock spring is much lower than my Pacific Salts or Police folders. I've posted a few videos where I close lockbacks by pressing the lock release with my index finger and swing the blade shut. With most lockbacks that's just something I do for fun. With this knife its my preferred way to close it". In fact, I tried this with my Civilian and it closed smoothly (the tension of its spring is way lower than my Endura Zome).

I will keep practicing with the Endura. Unfortunately I do not have the possibility of gaining finger strength by climbing because we do not have any wonderful Untersberg around ... :)

Again, un millón de gracias!
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
benben

Post by benben »

Welcome to the forum Menipo! I can come up with a new knife suggestion everyday so take what I say with a grain of salt! I’m 100% a Spyderco fanboy, having said that I do love collaborations! So when I bring up some other manufacturers, please don’t shoot the messenger!

I’d love to see something like a Manix, or a Shaman, something with a big broad leaf shaped blade with a Hinderer / ZT slicer grind like my ZT 0562. Love that blade shape & grind!

Also, got to hold and look over a Chris Reeve Inkosi Insingo this past weekend....again. It’s a $450 knife! If this knife had a Spyderco opening hole, I would have bought it on the spot! I just can’t get past the thumb stud, everything else about that particular knife model is incredible!

I’m not really advocating a joint venture between Spyderco and Chris Reeve, I just really appreciate the Inkosi design, but I think Sal’s opening hole would just throw it over the top! Just a personal opinion.

I know many guys in here have $450+ knives, I do not, but I’m serious when I said I would have bought that CR, if.........And the only knife I own that’s not a Spyderco is that ZT 0562 slicer!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

benben wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 am
Welcome to the forum Menipo! I can come up with a new knife suggestion everyday so take what I say with a grain of salt! I’m 100% a Spyderco fanboy, having said that I do love collaborations! So when I bring up some other manufacturers, please don’t shoot the messenger!

I’d love to see something like a Manix, or a Shaman, something with a big broad leaf shaped blade with a Hinderer / ZT slicer grind like my ZT 0562. Love that blade shape & grind!

Also, got to hold and look over a Chris Reeve Inkosi Insingo this past weekend....again. It’s a $450 knife! If this knife had a Spyderco opening hole, I would have bought it on the spot! I just can’t get past the thumb stud, everything else about that particular knife model is incredible!

I’m not really advocating a joint venture between Spyderco and Chris Reeve, I just really appreciate the Inkosi design, but I think Sal’s opening hole would just throw it over the top! Just a personal opinion.

I know many guys in here have $450+ knives, I do not, but I’m serious when I said I would have bought that CR, if.........And the only knife I own that’s not a Spyderco is that ZT 0562 slicer!
Many thanks for your warm welcome, benben!

Do not worry. I would never shoot someone who dares to mention other manufacturers. As I am a confessed Spyderco fanboy, Spyderco is the brand most represented (by far) in my collection. But I have knives of other manufacturers who caught my eye for a reason. Now that no one is listening to us ;) , I will tell you in confidence that, for instance and talking about ZT because you mentioned that brand, I have a ZT 0452 CF and a ZT 0707. I have also a Benchmade AFCK II (a rare Benchmade with an opening hole in the blade -like the Sypdercos) or a Katz Kagemusha (I falled in love with its ninja-point blade -Benchmade calls it reverse tanto- and its cherry wood handle). If I managed to be adopted by Bill & Melinda Gates, I would have a collection of Ferraris. But I would make room in my garage for a Bugatti Veyron, a Lamborghini Aventador or a Porsche Carrera 4S. :rolleyes:

I am not a fan of the leaf shape. I prefer more slender shapes. To put a couple of examples to make myself better understood, in terms of shape, I prefer the Military over the Paramilitary, the Native Chief over the Native or the Police over the Shaman. Or the ZT 0452CF over the ZT 0562 :D . Nothing to do with the intended use of the knives. It is just a matter of esthetics.

Chris Reeve' knives are one of my permanent dilemmas. I am wrong for sure, but I find those knives terribly overpriced. I know that many people say that a Sebenza or a Inkosi is a "must" in any collection but, acepting that the materials are premium and the fit and finish top-notch, one can find the same materials and equivalent manufacturing quality in knives from other premium manufacturers which cost substantially less. Same for the Emersons. In 2004 I bought a CQC11 UTCOM (that model is now discontinued) to have a wave opener in my collection but I never bought another Emerson because, to me, their price is simply unjustified.

Having said that, if Sal decides to make a collaboration with Mr. Reeve and your Inkosi Insingo with an opening hole is produced, I would reconsider the above ... :)

Take care!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums!

Dream knife would be a dragonfly salt with partial liners lc200n made in Taiwan factory

Or.. The Mantra one returning in serrated

Or.. Southfork in K390
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Holland wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:31 pm
Welcome to the forums!

Dream knife would be a dragonfly salt with partial liners lc200n made in Taiwan factory

Or.. The Mantra one returning in serrated

Or.. Southfork in K390
Many thanks for your welcome, Holland.

I also like K390 but prefer S110V because of its higher rust resistance. However I would also accept K390 if Spyderco decides to produce my ideal knife with that steel :)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Hollow grind C36TIFP SE in 3V/A2.
Last edited by kobold on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Here's what I think would be perfect for me.
The siren was the closest, so that's what I used for illustration.

A siren with
no finger guard,
shortened and curved back to palm for piercing.
Flattened handle belly
Pinky hook.
Slightly smaller opening hole.
Liner lock 1st choice, mid-back lock 2nd.
k390 or similar.
Blade height no more than 1 inch.
High saber grind.