Li'l Temperance 3: A (not so) li'l review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cycletroll

Re: Li'l Temperance 3: A (not so) li'l review

Post by Cycletroll »

Thanks Zuludelta (and everyone else who chimed in:) for the excellent review. This model was not on my radar at all but due to y'alls enthusiasm I just ordered one! Will have to see what I think once I get some cutting/carrying time with it.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:47 pm
Thanks Zuludelta (and everyone else who chimed in:) for the excellent review. This model was not on my radar at all but due to y'alls enthusiasm I just ordered one! Will have to see what I think once I get some cutting/carrying time with it.
You're welcome! I've been meaning to write an updated, long- term review of the LT3 as I've been using it regularly (and hard!) as a work knife in the half-year or so since I penned the original review post. Suffice it to say that it has definitely grown on me in that time, and it is currently one of my three all-time favourite folding knife designs.

I know it's probably not for everybody, but functionally & ergonomically, the LT3 design comes very close to my Platonic ideal for a folding knife.
sal wrote: The Lil' Temperance has been a 20 year personal project. We planned an FRN version 10 years ago, but because it is a smaller market to serve, and I wanted to epitomize the concept, the progress was slow. We changed the design, locks, clips, patterns, etc. Made many prototypes over the years.

The "Spirit" of the design has remained the same. Essentially, a tough, legal 3" blade MBC folder. Along with my own experience, I had input from James Keating (the Riddle of Steel), Bob Taylor (Warrior designer), Mike Janich (whom we all trust and revere), Bram Frank, Craig Douglas and Laci Szabo.

The first runs made for an interesting design, that was effective for two grips. Then I altered the design to also serve Pikal concepts (forward edge up and reverse edge in.), which was not incorporated in the original design.

I'm looking forward to the FRN version.

sal
So very glad to hear that progress on the FRN version continues.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 am
As others have stated, I too missed the opportunity to experience the LT3 due to price being a bit in discrepancy with my morale of value and funds, although this one really stood out to me in the line-up upon release and has continued to pique my interest.
If you want to risk an Amazon purchase, it's currently $116 from a 3rd party seller, or $124 direct from Amazon.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I picked one up via Amazon and had no problems with the transaction. It looks as new as any other knife from an online retailer. It is definitely a chunky stout knife. And I appreciate the discussion in this thread about the compression lock, explains a lot. It feels no where near as smooth as any of my para 3's or my Sage. Glad to know there's nothing "wrong" with it, it's just not as refined as the current version.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

Since I first saw the Lil Temperance in 2002, I wanted one. Didn’t get around to it for one reason or another until the 3 came out. I regretted missing out on the original ever since. Finally recently got on (collectors numbered, from the collector) recently and it’s been my EDC ever since.

@Sal, I think this is my favorite of your designs. Both the original and the 3, and I am super happy to hear the FRN version is still in the works and can’t wait to see it!

Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:53 am
Hi Abyss_Fish,

Once the mold is finished, We can add blade shapes if the demand is there.

sal
Best news of the year
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

As long as it retains the liners(surprisingly small) I'll be happy.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:42 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 am
As others have stated, I too missed the opportunity to experience the LT3 due to price being a bit in discrepancy with my morale of value and funds, although this one really stood out to me in the line-up upon release and has continued to pique my interest.
If you want to risk an Amazon purchase, it's currently $116 from a 3rd party seller, or $124 direct from Amazon.
Appreciate the heads-up 1500. I've since purchased the Rockjumper in PE and SE to fill the void of the Lil' T3 until the FRN models are fruited to market.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I am still really enjoying my LT3! Ergos are close to perfection.

For the new one, perhaps a clip point? Like a mini bowie.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomH

Post by TomH »

I am patiently waiting for the LW version. I hope the steel used is more corrosion
resistant than S30V.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hi everyone. Can anyone confirm how many washers does the Lil' Temperance 3 have? Mine came with 4 washers (2 each side), I wonder if that's normal or not.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

ZTB!

Is there any news on the LW Lil’ Temp 3? I have all previous versions, I love them all, and I am hopeful for another iteration to be released in the wild, preferably in SE… and the same green as the original Lil’ Temp, but in FRN and not G10.

Thanks, Sal, for honing the designs over these years- my Lil’ Temp Trailing Point is one of my all time great acquisitions. Just saying. Love it, love it, love it…
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This thread deserves a pic
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Hard to believe my last post here was nearly a year and a half ago, with much discussion since then.

Bumping to consider the idea that perhaps the upcoming Leaf Jumper is, in-fact, the larger sibling to the Lil Temp Lightweight discussed here; along with the even larger LJ XL being hinted at as well. This would change the lock, though would follow the (seemingly) standardizing of Spyderco's 3-size catch-all for many of their models. Just a thought.
sal

Post by sal »

The Lil' Temperance is more hand filling than the Jumpers.

sal
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

And here’s me—just waiting for a lil temperance lightweight. :winking-tongue
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mr.Gibson,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:24 am
The Lil' Temperance is more hand filling than the Jumpers.

sal

Interesting, sounds more up my alley versus the Jumpers then. Thanx much sal.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Got one for my collection some weeks ago.
IMG_20220121_102519_copy_768x1024.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ASF,

Good find. Rare piece. The original design did not work for all 4 grips. That's why I refined the design. The new design will work for all 4 grips.

sal