Native 5 Maxamet is out also!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Native 5 Maxamet is out also!

Post by ABX2011 »

The metal shaving is interesting but it would be even more so if there were another steel in comparison. I believe scientists call that a control :)
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

ABX2011 wrote:The metal shaving is interesting but it would be even more so if there were another steel in comparison. I believe scientists call that a control :)
Very valid. :) It was an unscientific experiment all sorts of ways. It was fueled by curiosity and insomnia, but in the interest of science, I just tried same with S110v. Tried to do a video but it wouldn't focus in close enough.

The first thing I noticed was that it felt different when I tried to get shavings off of the SAK nail file with S110v vs Maxamet. I had to use more pressure to get S110v to bite into the file; less pressure and S110v just slid off. Maxamet bit into the steel immediately with less pressure; more drag and friction with less effort.

I finally understand the file test they do on Forged in Fire to determine if a blade is properly hardened.

Only photo is bad photo because there's nothing to show; no metal shavings with S110v. I can't get the image url to post the photo with my iPod right now, though, so you'll have to take my word til I can get to a proper computer. :p
(Sent from iPod)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the testing AlwaysTomboy! I've got a Maxamet Native on the way and I'm excited about it.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Got mine today, it's great! :D I did my typical swaparoo into a SS linered frame. I'll leave this pic here for Roman ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It'll easily scratch glass with the tip.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

jpm2 wrote:It'll easily scratch glass with the tip.
I was curious about that, thanks for the info, welcome to the forum.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Got mine today, it's great! :D I did my typical swaparoo into a SS linered frame. I'll leave this pic here for Roman ;)

Very nice Paul! That's a classy look.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
I was curious about that, thanks for the info, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome.
Since metal shaving was brought up, thought I'd include glass scratching as something else that sets it apart from most other steels.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

jpm2 wrote:Since metal shaving was brought up, thought I'd include glass scratching as something else that sets it apart from most other steels.
What other steels have you/others tried scratching glass with?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ABX2011 wrote:
jpm2 wrote:Since metal shaving was brought up, thought I'd include glass scratching as something else that sets it apart from most other steels.
What other steels have you/others tried scratching glass with?
Every steel I've ever used? Maybe easier to list the ones I haven't, but here's some...
440c, ats34, 154cm, s30v, s110v, bd1, k390, m35, t42,
m2, m4, hap40, 3v, 4v, zwear, 52100, d2, w2, 1095, zdp189
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Got mine today, it's great! :D I did my typical swaparoo into a SS linered frame. I'll leave this pic here for Roman ;)

The wood scales look awesome! My boyfriend is eyeing up Maxamet Native but he prefers the g-10 with liners so I'm glad to know a swap is possible. Thanks.
Ooo, interesting.

I know Maxamet isn't magical unobtanium adamantium, but it has some neat properties all the same. & The fact that it's a steel used to cut other steels and has such high hardness almost feels like a challenge and makes me want to keep testing it. :p

I needed something to scrub my Sharpmaker rods and used it to cut the corner off of a Scotch Brite scouring pad so I wouldn't ruin the whole pad, but it was a non-scratch type so that's no great feat. Boo.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jpm2,

Welcome to our forum.

I'm enjoying mine. The Golden knifemakers did an excellent job on this one. exceptional piece.

sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

sal wrote:Hi Jpm2,

Welcome to our forum.

I'm enjoying mine. The Golden knifemakers did an excellent job on this one. exceptional piece.

sal
Thank you Mr. Glesser, for the welcome, all the user oriented knives, and this folding knife blade steel I've been waiting nearly 30 years for.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lulz, just got my email from BladeHQ saying they are in stock.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

New Graham also has several in stock

It seems this is the 3rd time HQ has had these in stock in the past 2 weeks. Is it possible they keep getting very small shipments in such short order?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This time it's official.

2 bears

Post by 2 bears »

Got mine today. Hope I like it as much as my Manix Maxamet!
Last edited by 2 bears on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

2 bears wrote:Got mine today. Hope I like it as much as my Mannix Maxamet!
Youll have to let us know which one is your favorite, welcome to the forum.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will probably have to buy one of these.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

Um, guys? I think I just successfully touched up the edge of my Maxamet Native on the brown Sharpmaker rods, specifically the corners at 40 degrees inclusive). Is that even possible? It wasn't dull by any means, but it wasn't quite shaving sharp brand new out of the box, and it's since been used for several rounds of cutting up heavy cardboard moving boxes, and two plastic clam shell packages. I noticed tonight that it wasn't slicing newspaper as cleanly as it had been, and it wouldn't slice tissue paper at all; just tore through it.

Side note: Yall do that too, right? Test the sharpness of your knives by trying to cut random things while watching tv and such? :p

Just for kicks, I decided to try the Sharpmaker without breaking out the CBN rods, totally expecting it would have no effect at all. Except, um, it now shaves arm hair and cleanly cuts through tissue paper.

Disclaimer: It's late and my brain may not be functioning on all cylinders, so it's totally possible it was sharper than I realized before I started or any other number of human error type things that are just making it seem like I was able to get it marginally sharper on brown Sharpmaker rods, so if folks with more experience with this steel tell me I'm mistaken, I'll believe 'em. Either way, I'm still totally intrigued with this steel and enjoying carrying and using this knife. :)