Explain your screen name

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Where I'm from
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I used to belong to another forum for a different hobby. But I used my "real" email name. Even though I don't do that hobby now I'm still getting emails, advertisements, etc. in my "normal" email. So when I started getting into knives I wanted a different name so I coule keep knife stuff seperate from normal stuff. Jackknife seemed like a natural choice since just about everyone has heard the term "jackknife" before. But the first place I tried to create it (don't remember where) I got a message that someone had already stolen it from me. :) So I had to throw an "h" in at the end.

As far as the user ID "sal", is that Sal's real name? Is it a nickname? I don't remember hearing the name Sal before but my memory CAN NOT be trusted. :) I don't think it's short for "Sally". :)

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackknifeh wrote:I used to belong to another forum for a different hobby. But I used my "real" email name. Even though I don't do that hobby now I'm still getting emails, advertisements, etc. in my "normal" email. So when I started getting into knives I wanted a different name so I coule keep knife stuff seperate from normal stuff. Jackknife seemed like a natural choice since just about everyone has heard the term "jackknife" before. But the first place I tried to create it (don't remember where) I got a message that someone had already stolen it from me. :) So I had to throw an "h" in at the end.

As far as the user ID "sal", is that Sal's real name? Is it a nickname? I don't remember hearing the name Sal before but my memory CAN NOT be trusted. :) I don't think it's short for "Sally". :)

Jack
I know his full name is Sal Glesser, but I've never heard if Sal is short for anything else. I have heard the name before though. Could be short for Salvatore, Salvador, etc.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Spydiewiki thinks that Sal's first name is Louis.

Another website says that Sal is a shorter name coming from Salvador, is latin and means Savior.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Two things:
1. I love the WW II plane Chance Vought F4U Corsair. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F4U_Corsair
2. It's my logo (amateur knife maker)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Isn't "sal" salt in latin or spanish?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine is a homage to WW II aircraft nose art and a holdover from my online card playing days. It's also a bit of self deprecating humor, since I've been known to pontificate from time to time. :o :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Donut wrote:Spydiewiki thinks that Sal's first name is Louis.

Another website says that Sal is a shorter name coming from Salvador, is latin and means Savior.
To my knowledge, Spydiewiki is correct on that. As I recall, Louis is sal's first name, but I do not know if sal is a nickname or a shortened version of his middle name.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Mine is a homage to WW II aircraft nose art and a holdover from my online card playing days. It's also a bit of self deprecating humor, since I've been known to pontificate from time to time. :o :D
That is REALLY cool Deacon. Using your experiences as a fighter pilot DURING WWII to come up with your user ID. :D :D :D I crack myself up. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ASmitty wrote:To my knowledge, Spydiewiki is correct on that. As I recall, Louis is sal's first name, but I do not know if sal is a nickname or a shortened version of his middle name.
Maybe Sal isn't Sal at all. Maybe it's a false identity. I think I saw him on America's Most Wanted. The fugitive on that show had two eyes, one nose and one mouth, JUST LIKE SAL!!! :D
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

My name is what it is. Knives in EDC
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Jalcon was my name on video game for PC called Diablo II.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jalcon wrote:Jalcon was my name on video game for PC called Diablo II.
That's cool. I've seen quite a few people using "Jamella" over the years since that game.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Evil D wrote:That's cool. I've seen quite a few people using "Jamella" over the years since that game.

Oh yeah? I think she was a NPC in act 4 that sold armor and what not.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Just my name... in reverse...

It does confuse some folks on the board who sometimes call me "Philip" instead of "Ted". Just don't call me Theodore (my Dad) or Teddy (although I do walk softly and carry a big stick). :cool:

TedP
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

phillipsted wrote:Just my name... in reverse...
detspillihp? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Used to be an avid inline skater, a real nut, member of a skating club, we skated twice a week for two hours each, weather permitting. Season went from April to October/November, usually. Quit the club several years ago, still have my three pairs of skates, which gather dust on a shelf now, instead of gathering dust on the road. In my best season I did approx. 1000 km on skates. Didn't skate even once this year, lost interest totally, unfortunately.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Mine refers to what I did when I was in the Coast Guard. I was a helicopter rescue swimmer. SAR stands for search and rescue. I became a cop when I got out and after twenty years of those two jobs, the OLD part is how I feel when I try to get out of bed in the morning. ;)
:spyder:
Dan
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

I own a 1978 Lil' Red Express, nothing cool or special behind the name.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
GronK

Post by GronK »

I was given the name GronK by co-workers in 1969 at Pleiku, Vietnam. They thought my countenance matched that of a character in the BC comic strips at the time, totally crazy and out of control. When I got on the innernetz I started using it and have been since. I'm thinking of suing that upstart whippersnapper tight end in New England for copyright infringement. To think he's using it just because it's part of his name. Should just call him "Ski" like anyone else with that sort of name. Reminds me of a Sgt I new in the Air Force. Name was Skudalski and he always said "Don't call me Ski!". We ended up calling him Skud.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK