Knife when running & sweating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

jackknifeh wrote:Neck knife carry? This seems to already be a love it or hate it carry option. I don't jog so don't know how it would be while running. But, it is out there for all to see and may deter would-be attackers. It's definately easy to get to.

Jack
It will bounce around a lot unless you have a very smooth stride. People who land on their heels probably won't like them. I don't know how much deterrence a little old Swick will be to someone dumb enough to attack a random jogger. It's not real intimidating. If the attacker is human, my first choice would be to keep running, only faster. Anyone who attacks you thinks he's got a big edge or he's bat**** crazy. Either way, I want to be elsewhere.

To be honest, I worry a lot more about lightning, rattlesnakes, mountain lions, and dogs than I do about people. Heck, I worry more that I'll break my leg out in the boonies and nobody, crazy or not will wander by ....

Gordon
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I run 5-7 days per week, usually for about an hour per workout. I have carried a VG10 Delica frequently while running, sometimes in a small pocket of hydration belt (preferred), sometimes IWB. I sweat a lot and even when carrying IWB I've NEVER had rust problems. The only corrosion problems I've had with VG10 were with an Endura that was lost for 2 years on a dirt road and eventually was found. The blade was in pretty good shape even after many rain/snow/mud baths. Replaced the liners and sharpened the blade and it was good to go.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jackknifeh wrote:Neck knife carry? This seems to already be a love it or hate it carry option. I don't jog so don't know how it would be while running. But, it is out there for all to see and may deter would-be attackers. It's definately easy to get to.

Jack
It would definitely work and could be secured to avoid bouncing around. Same goes to something of an ankle sheath with a slim blade.

Problem is that fixed blades are often illegal even if an acceptable length.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Ya i totally agree about the dog over human. Honestly im going to rely on my fist in most situations.

Like someone said above, its very quick and you need something that can be deployed fast and with little mental effort, second nature...then again, i can do this with all my Spydies.
My gf makes fun of me for flinging my spydies out on the couch everyday, but if could make a difference one day...
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...