Your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bd51

Post by bd51 »

What sparked my interest in Spydies was a good ol' Delica 4.
:spyder:Delica 4, Stretch 2 ZDP, Manix 2, Para 2 CTS20CP, Native 4, Pacific Salt, Sage 3:spyder:
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

My first was an Endura back when they first came out. Think it was 1990. I had to drive down to the Atlanta REI to find one. It was the first one handed opening knife I had seen in person, and I had to have one.
I used it hard, and still use it at times, and its one of the smoothest opening knives I have ever seen. I remember thinking I would break the clip one day, but its still there. The blade is scratched all to heck, but the handle still looks great.
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

Blue FFG Delica 4!
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Started out with a Q SE in '97. It "disappeared" in '99 while I was living abroad. Picked up a blue SE Delica 3 in '01 and was happy with it as an EDC for 7 years (I picked up a couple other Spydies here and there in the meantime). Really started expanding the collection in 2007 and haven't looked back since. I managed to get a NIB Q SE last year, so the :spyder: family is complete again (but always growing).
Attachments
Q.jpg
Q.jpg (77.89 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I don't recall the year, but I believe my first :spyder: was a small version of the Spyderco Jess Horn with micarta scales that I ordered through an A.G. Russell Knife Catalog. I like it and found the Spyderco Round Hole really neat... however, the tip of the blade was somewhat exposed when closed and I kept jabbing my fingers when reaching for it in my pocket. I eventually got rid of it.

In 1997, I rediscovered Spyderco through a Spyderco Endura SE (with the molded clip) and later a Spyderco Delica SE (also with molded clip) that I purchased at a Military Clothing Store. Also purchased a couple of other :spyder: s as well at a Post Exchange. Don't have those any more due to stupidity on my part.

It wouldn't be until 2006 when I would again rediscover Spyderco knives through the Spyderco website, including the Spyderco Endura4 PE and SE, Spyderco Delica4 PE and SE, Spyderco Military PE, and Spyderco C95 Manix PE. Been purchasing Spyderco products ever since.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Mick

Post by Mick »

In the mid-90's I bought a Spyderco FRN Dragonfly. (wanted the FRN pro-grip but they were out) I was hooked within 30 seconds - I eventually lost it due to the molded pocket clip but I've replaced with about 50 other Spydies since then. :=)
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Delica 4 FFG in blue. Bought it in April of 2011. I now have 15 Spydies :)
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Stasis

Post by Stasis »

My first was a PE Cricket SS back in '04... I don't recall the month, so I was either 13 or 14 at the time. I had gotten a Case three-blade slipjoint (I don't know the model) for Christmas a couple years before, but though I certainly appreciated the gift, I wasn't that thrilled with the knife itself and never carried or used it much.

For my entire life, my dad had carried an SE Endura. He's never been a knife nut, but it's the only knife he's carried for my entire life, so when I decided I wanted something "cooler" and easier to carry and use, that was good enough for me to go for Spyderco. :)

I was under the impression that I couldn't carry a knife with a blade longer than 2 inches in Georgia, so that's why I chose the Cricket. It wasn't long at all after that, I saw the Meerkat was being discontinued and on clearance here at Spyderco.com, so for a good price and a cool looking knife, I snatched up one of those. Then not long after that, I found out that I wasn't limited to a 2 inch blade and I got myself a Native, and it's just spiraled out of control from there. :D

I now have 16 Spydercos and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to buy a Chaparral, all three Sages, and a Caly 3 all at once...
Waco

Post by Waco »

Stasis wrote:I was under the impression that I couldn't carry a knife with a blade longer than 2 inches in Georgia
I'd move if that was true. :eek:
Stasis

Post by Stasis »

waco kid wrote:I'd move if that was true. :eek:
Ha! Fortunately my mistake was in skimming state laws, which do indeed dictate a limit of 2 inches... in "school safety zones"! I really ought to brush up on local ordinances for nearby cities, but I'd say in general, Georgia law enforcement wouldn't much care if you were carrying a Bowie knife on your hip. ;)
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Spyderco fully serrated clip it rescue with the molded FRN clip, bought it at shooters world and I rode my bicycle, had to be right around 15-16(33 now) years old. At that time I was around some guys and in scouts and we were doing quite a bit of rock climbing and I was told me fully serrated was the only way to go!
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

Delica 3 in early 2000
:spyder:C81GGY20CP2 Para 2 sprint - EDC
:spyder:C157GTIP Lionspy
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

Brown ffg Delica 4 that I got for Christmas, got it to replace a crappy knife I got on Black Friday from Fry's Electronics (Ya, Fry's) for 3 bucks.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

This is my first post.... about my first spydie. Quite appropriate I think...

After lots of research I found out that I missed out on the Paramilitary 2 S90V. :eek: Then I learnt about the Para 2 20CP, and was lucky enough to get one for a decent price a few months ago. It's in my pocket right now. :D

I think I've already developed a bad case of The Fever - my list of must-have's is growing weekly...

As a result, I have a less threatening Dragonfly G10 on the way for office use.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

SS Kraton inlay PE Stretch - C90F . Paid $136,00 Aus for it. That was back when I was still sensible. Now I am completely :spyder: crazy
Wife says "what are you going to cut with all those knives" :rolleyes:
O.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Mine was a black FRN Ladybug SE... still have it and still one of the more useful knives sitting on my keychain :D

O,just,O wrote:Wife says "what are you going to cut with all those knives" :rolleyes:
O.
Answer: myself, my fingers, my thumb, my leg etc :rolleyes:
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Not much of a story but, I wanted to get a knife that would hold an edge longer than the knives I'd always used. I pictured the blade length of an Endura as if it were laying across a 2x4. That didn't seem too big so I got an Endura3. When it came I loved it. The VG-10 performed great and I was very happy with that. After looking at it I wondered about if it was a legal length so I called my local Sherrif's office. I live in a small town and lots of hunting and fishing goes on here. People carry knives on their belts a lot. The cops were amused I called to ask about legal blade length. None of them actually knew if 3 7/8" was legal or not but if I didn't poke anyone with it they didn't care what I carried. The quality and performance of the Endura3 prompted the purchase and use of several other Spyderco knives and sharpening tools since. This is a company that I think "If they make it I believe the quality is good". I haven't been let down yet.

Jack
BAL

Post by BAL »

Brock O Lee wrote:This is my first post.... about my first spydie. Quite appropriate I think...

After lots of research I found out that I missed out on the Paramilitary 2 S90V. :eek: Then I learnt about the Para 2 20CP, and was lucky enough to get one for a decent price a few months ago. It's in my pocket right now. :D

I think I've already developed a bad case of The Fever - my list of must-have's is growing weekly...

As a result, I have a less threatening Dragonfly G10 on the way for office use.
When the Spyder bites, it don't let go.
Swarovski

Viele C42P

Post by Swarovski »

I got my first spyderco 12 years ago played whit it for a week or so never realy used it (was to expensive 200$). I love that knife never going to sell it, my oldest son will get it wen i can let it go
Then like 8-6 months ago i saw a gerber paulknife and got realy hooked had to have one then i started to check forums and got one. but I trigged something and started to buy more knifes than i need.
I boght Viele2, phoenix, Sage 2, Manix M4, Kopa. Poliwog, Lum CF, Bug.
Also some Lone wolf, Fällkniven, Kershaw, Case, Shrade and some custom mades.
Its great to have a new knife in the pocket and one on the postoffice to pickup.
John_is_my_name

Post by John_is_my_name »

I got a Paramilitary 2 and a Sage 1, both delivered on the same day in November of 2011, while I love the Para2, the Sage is the one that bit me, and now I have lots of Spydies and a few knives made in Idaho.