Brass or Copper Spyderco. Please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

How about a fluted bronze or cooper scales?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the feedback Sal :)

Has anyone experienced Aluminum Bronze or Aluminum Nickel Bronze? It might have better qualities for a knife and less tendency to patina/smell.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... ost2981395

syphen wrote:I think instead of for either brass, bronze etc.. You just need to ask for a Copper based alloy. Leave it at that!
Totally agree :) . Just trying to cover all my pop-word bases. I'm looking at the aesthetic over the compound.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I hate it when people bump old threads! :mad:
Holland

Post by Holland »

copper would be amazing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Blerv wrote:I hate it when people bump old threads! :mad:
I know! What jerks! ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Holland

Post by Holland »

should have bumped this sooner, how bout a copper worker? :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Brass/ cooper bolsters and polished g10 or micarta...yummy mamy... :) )))
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Prefer SS bolsters, but will go with wood scales and brass liners :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bh49 wrote:Prefer SS bolsters, but will go with wood scales and brass liners :)
I actually think the Sage4 would look pretty darn cool with copper/brass/bronze bolsters :) .
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Blerv wrote:I hate it when people bump old threads! :mad:
jabba359 wrote:I know! What jerks! ;)
A joke right? Or do you prefer a proliferation of threads discussing the same topic? :confused:

Most forums have one or more established members that berate new users for _not_ searching out existing threads. :D
justinl

Post by justinl »

G10 Caly 3.5 in super blue with a bronze backspacer?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:A joke right? Or do you prefer a proliferation of threads discussing the same topic? :confused:

Most forums have one or more established members that berate new users for _not_ searching out existing threads. :D
Yes, absolutely a joke (I thought my use of ;) would make it obvious). If you'll note, Blerv was the one who bumped this old thread, so he was poking fun at himself.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

jabba359 wrote:Yes, absolutely a joke (I thought my use of ;) would make it obvious). If you'll note, Blerv was the one who bumped is old thread, so he was poking fun at himself.
Hence my little swipe at 'established members' followed with :D

Thank you very much for your reply.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Blerv wrote:Here's my Macs Custom SST-50 EDC the day I got it and then about a year later from casual carry and no polishing.
Here's mine after some "forced" patina, I kept in my sweaty hand repeatedly during a few days.
I like brass patina.

| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Tally-ho wrote:Here's mine after some "forced" patina, I kept in my sweaty hand repeatedly during a few days.
I like brass patina.
Very nice! :D

As a side-note I stumbled upon this cool article talking about the death rate of bacteria when in contact with copper and brass. Maybe you fondle a copper knife after using your cell phone and before eating it will help keep you from getting sick. :p

http://www.eurocopper.org/doc/uploaded/ ... terial.pdf
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Sounds like I have found a target audience once I realize my copper knife concept (copper cannot hold an edge like steel but it is a beautiful metal and I have some specific ideas I want to implement). Thanks ya'll :P

<apologizing for not specifically discussing a :spyder: in general discussion ;) >
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A bronze blade, now that would be cool. Has to be cold worked to harden, similar to H-1.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bill1170 wrote:A bronze blade, now that would be cool. Has to be cold worked to harden, similar to H-1.
Yea my knowledge of bronze manufacturing is non-existent. I understand people often cast it.

Likely it would likely come down to manufacturing cost for a modern knife maker. Then you would have to get past buyer education/stigma. Lastly small differences between it and normal blade steels like hardness range and the ability to take a fine edge.

Frankly I would love a bronze blade :) . It won't rust and would look great. I understand the "bronze age" became the "iron age" simply because of iron being cheaper to make so you could give it to more soldiers. I recall reading officers still wore bronze armor and weapons and it was still deemed tougher (and way more p!mp). Once metallurgy got into the world of steel, bronze was doomed to the history books. :( It would be interesting if modern technology revisited these interesting materials again for a second go but where do you stop? Spyderco Obsidian folders?

I digress...gimme something fun Spyderco! Obsidian folders = bonus points :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

Blerv wrote:Yea my knowledge of bronze manufacturing is non-existent. I understand people often cast it.

Likely it would likely come down to manufacturing cost for a modern knife maker. Then you would have to get past buyer education/stigma. Lastly small differences between it and normal blade steels like hardness range and the ability to take a fine edge.

Frankly I would love a bronze blade :) . It won't rust and would look great. I understand the "bronze age" became the "iron age" simply because of iron being cheaper to make so you could give it to more soldiers. I recall reading officers still wore bronze armor and weapons and it was still deemed tougher (and way more p!mp). Once metallurgy got into the world of steel, bronze was doomed to the history books. :( It would be interesting if modern technology revisited these interesting materials again for a second go but where do you stop? Spyderco Obsidian folders?

I digress...gimme something fun Spyderco! Obsidian folders = bonus points :D
that will never happen but it would be amazing if it did. imagine an obsidian folding whale rescue knife with copper handles!!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
JD Spydo

Brass or Copper With Coating?

Post by JD Spydo »

A good friend of mine in the hardwood floor business who is also a knife buddy of mine was talking to me yesterday and I mentioned this thread to him. He likes the looks of many non ferrous metals and has requested me to fine him Spyders with Titanium handles in the past.

He said that some of the newer poly-coatings that they have available are highly scratch resistant and would work well for solid brass or copper. He said that one company has a polyurethane coating that is very difficult to scratch and would work well for such applications.

Myself I'm not a huge fan of patina or natural wear looks per se but I do like the looks of polished metals>> but the problem you have with that is a constant fear of them being scratched or marred.

Also many of your non ferrous metals are highly prone to being tarnished by exposure to certain elements and they are reactive to all kinds of everyday chemicals. Even some laundry soaps can do a number on metals under extreme circumstances.

However this Copper, Brass, Titanium and non-ferrous metal suggestion for scales and handle materials in general is very interesting and it would truly go along with Spyderco's target market for those who crave unique and things completely out of the ordinary.

But I would truly have to coat anything I would carry along those lines.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!