A battle to the Death: Spyderco or Kershaw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

ive never carried anything besides Spyderco, at the same time, any time someone hands me a knife that isnt Spyderco i properly inspect it and im left in disgust, the problem with people is that people want to save a buck to get a cheaper knife.

spend the extra bucks and get a good knife for life!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I definitely think Kershaw is competiton with some models. They actually use some amazing steels for a few knives.

A knife is a personal decision. There are Spydies I won't buy but more Kershaws I won't. That's just me though.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Interesting that this has come up just days after I purchased a new G10 Kershaw Needs Work. This is only my third Kershaw ever (still have my 2005 TiNi Leek, and sold the pink Chive I bought for my wife because neither of us liked it :rolleyes: ), but I am really liking this one. For under $50 shipped, I got a decent steel, wonderful hollow ground wharncliffe blade, G10 handles and really nice looking stonewashed finish on the blade. Overall fit, finish and feel reminds me alot of my Emerson Mini Com, which I paid almost 3x as much for. Everything about this knife is on par with most production Spydies and it came ridiculously sharp. A whole lot of bang for the buck.

I also own a few Emersons, a couple of Opinels, a couple of ESEE/RATs and a few HI Khukuris. Love them all and feel they are all quality pieces that I would buy again. Spyderco is still, and probably will always be, my favorite knife brand, but it's nice to have other designs to carry and use as well.

As has already been mentioned, all good, just different!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
freedoom

Post by freedoom »

Which is better, rabbits or cats? i mean they are both soft and fuzzy and cute and make good pets but i just can't decide.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

freedoom wrote:Which is better, rabbits or cats? i mean they are both soft and fuzzy and cute and make good pets but i just can't decide.
Rabbits is meant fer eatin' and cats fer catchin' mice. Go with the cats.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Tank

Post by Tank »

I am of the belief that one mans trash is another mans treasure. That is not to say kershaw is trash by any means. Like everthing, its personal preference which for me is mostly spyderco. But there are other brands I would most certainly buy (kershaw included) it just so happens when I manage to have extra cash to buy a knife there is always a spyderco calling to me over the others. So that being said, you both are right in your own minds so I would just call it a draw and go put your knives to use.
-John
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Peanut Butter and Jelly sounds great this morning!!

All good just different.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
GronK

Post by GronK »

TazKristi wrote:Peanut Butter and Jelly sounds great this morning!!

All good just different.
Peanut butter and jelly? What are you thinking? I wouldn't be caught dead with a peanut butter and jelly! It's peanut butter, banana, and honey for real peanut butter pros. A friend of a co-worker of the brother of a guy I know had a peanut butter and jelly fold right up on his fingers!
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

GronK wrote:Peanut butter and jelly? What are you thinking? I wouldn't be caught dead with a peanut butter and jelly! It's peanut butter, banana, and honey for real peanut butter pros. A friend of a co-worker of the brother of a guy I know had a peanut butter and jelly fold right up on his fingers!
Dang! That's serious and enough to make me consider at least half-heartedly to never have PB&J again. I hope he"s recovered from the incident. What kind of bread was he using though? Improperly sandwiched, PB&J are known to be slippery. Perhaps he should have tried the multi-grain... it's a little more textured and provides better grip?

I'll have to rethink today's lunch. ;)
There is nothing more important than this one day.
freedoom

Post by freedoom »

hiredgun wrote:Rabbits is meant fer eatin' and cats fer catchin' mice. Go with the cats.
Cats are edible too!
Billy

Post by Billy »

TazKristi wrote:Dang! That's serious and enough to make me consider at least half-heartedly to never have PB&J again. I hope he"s recovered from the incident. What kind of bread was he using though? Improperly sandwiched, PB&J are known to be slippery. Perhaps he should have tried the multi-grain... it's a little more textured and provides better grip?

I'll have to rethink today's lunch. ;)
The safest PB&J and bread interface is actually a hot dog roll. MUCH more lateral strength, fewer moving parts and therefore, much less likely to fold up on you. You might give up a little grippiness, but you get a much stronger sandwich with much cleaner lines. :D :D
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GronK

Post by GronK »

Further research showed the "victim" of the fold up was trying PB for the first time that day. His EDL usually consisted of a hunk of meat between two slabs of Texas Toast bread from the day old bread store. The accident was obviously operator error due to the PB&J being most delicate and him being ham-fisted.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

GronK wrote:Further research showed the "victim" of the fold up was trying PB for the first time that day. His EDL usually consisted of a hunk of meat between two slabs of Texas Toast bread from the day old bread store. The accident was obviously operator error due to the PB&J being most delicate and him being ham-fisted.
Yeah. Eat it properly and PB&J will never fold up when you don't want it to. People are so used to these heavy duty toasted breads that they forget that people made do for centuries with plain bread without loosing an unusual number of shirts to stains.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Woz

Post by Woz »

While Spyderco is the brand I like most and own most knives of, I really like some other brands, especially SOG which I think are awesome knives, BM and Fällkniven. Most brands have some quite good knives.

So, being a collector, I have Kershaw brand blades too, and have to admit that I like them. The Junkyard Dogs are great, Sandvik 12C27 is a great steel for general use and the ergonomics are just fine (but better on most Spyderco). So I can understand people who like their Kershaws.

Oh, I forgot: The Zero Tolerance line is just AWESOME. Really strong and massive hard working knives. Love them!
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I am amazed that this thread is still plugging along.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

liver sausage and onion rings!

have to try PBJ or PBN someday! :D
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

I had a Kershaw PBJ once, and I have to admit it was quite good. Only problem was that it accidentally flipped open when I failed to set the safety properly. I think Spyderco makes excellent sandwiches, except value and satisfaction are somewhat compromised because they all have holes through them... even the ones made on hot dog buns, for trademark reasons.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

PB&J on wheat toast with a glass of ice cold milk every morning before work!
Did I mention I cut it in half with a Millie? :)
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Both companies have models I like.
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

nathan310 wrote:Both companies have models I like.
Ditto that here. Good products from good people.