Spyderco Seconds Sale Scores

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NewSpy

Re: Spyderco Seconds Sale Scores

Post by NewSpy »

Manix 2 DLC and S90V Para 2
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

By the time I logged in, none of the available knives excited me more than the ones I already have. So I breathed a sigh of relieve knowing that my money and credit cards were safe. The "Day After the Seconds Sale" was another story. I'm already a recovering tool addict, and the ceramic files were too hard to resist. I figured I'd just get a little taste, but when I saw that the shipping was going to be ten times the cost of the stones, I went all in. I bought four sets. One set will live in my desk drawer, one goes in the "file drawer" of my toolbox, one set will go in the tool case for doing remote work, and the other will sit on a shelf above the lathe. That's the way I rationalized it, and it still makes sense... for the most part.

The files are nice. A couple have a little chipping near one end, and two a little shorter than the others, but they are all perfect for regular use. The price was a smokin' hot deal. With shipping, the deal was still very good.

IMG_2109.jpeg
Optimus Cultro

Post by Optimus Cultro »

2 knife mystery box:

Bow River tan and OD w/o a sheath

Fat carbon red lava M4 pm2 (I believe that was a SMKW exclusive).

The promo video indicated the mystery boxes would be different knives than what was offered in the sale. The different colored handle on the bow River is what I suppose makes it different from what was offered in the sale for $21.

Not the most desirable box I’ve seen. The bow River was a bit of a let down, but that’s the nature of a mystery box.

Considering the 15v sprint PM2 seconds were $107 dollars and the Bow River seconds were $21, I’m not sure this particular box was a great seconds value. The M4 pm2 is nice knife even if the scales aren’t what I personally find attractive. When you gamble you wins some you loose some I suppose.
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

Well I was skunked. Tried and tried - but came up with snake-eyes

In frustration I was motivated to get this from the secondary market, and I am now quite satisfied :squinting-tongue

. Image
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

My stuff arrived Today. Two Aqua Salts, PE and SE, and a Waterway. Packaging was fine. Blades covered and bubble wrapped, handles bubble wrapped. Some packing paper to fill out the box.

All of them are first quality, as far as I can tell. The only defects would be the Seconds Sale notches. They are minuscule.

Grinds, bevels, handles on the Aqua Salts: no defects at all. I’m going with these being first quality without sheaths. The Waterway has slightly uneven bevels, and I mean, slightly. No visible defects. Still first quality imo.

Now, to source some sheaths, either custom, diy, or OEM.

Nothing to complain about here.. very happy with these knives. Thanks Spyderco!
Last edited by jwbnyc on Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:58 am

By the time I logged in, none of the available knives excited me more than the ones I already have. So I breathed a sigh of relieve knowing that my money and credit cards were safe. The "Day After the Seconds Sale" was another story. I'm already a recovering tool addict, and the ceramic files were too hard to resist. I figured I'd just get a little taste, but when I saw that the shipping was going to be ten times the cost of the stones, I went all in. I bought four sets. One set will live in my desk drawer, one goes in the "file drawer" of my toolbox, one set will go in the tool case for doing remote work, and the other will sit on a shelf above the lathe. That's the way I rationalized it, and it still makes sense... for the most part.

The files are nice. A couple have a little chipping near one end, and two a little shorter than the others, but they are all perfect for regular use. The price was a smokin' hot deal. With shipping, the deal was still very good.

IMG_2109.jpeg
I would have gotten some of those if they had been up when I was checking out.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:42 pm
Waterway
I regret not getting one of these during the sale. No sheath, no problem-- the Spyderco one is fine but you can take the money you saved and get a nicer one aftermarket.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It really is a spectacular knife. I’m hoping we see some more of them.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Here’s my score. I’m super excited that all are in very condition. Just the native was missing a body screw. Which I’ve already remedied. All three seem as good as first quality. Thanks Spyderco for just great product even in a “seconds” condition. Also already cut cucumbers with the cooks knife.
MRj “Weak things break!”
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That Cooks knife.. wish those had still been around. What a deal..Congrats!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Catchadroppimgknife wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:14 pm

In frustration I was motivated to get this from the secondary market, and I am now quite satisfied :squinting-tongue

. Image
I don't think you'd have made a mistake if you directly went to buy a Watu ! It's an excellent knife. I can't stop trying to "pimp" mine !

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

jlw wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:07 am
My two scores arrived yesterday. A Manix LW and a Centofante 3. I really like both of them although I doubt they'll replace any Spyderco knives I already own. It took a little while to figure out why they were seconds, but I think I have. The scales are a little rough in one area of the Centofante. I definitely wouldn't have sent the knife back for it. The Spyder insert is perfect—that's what I was afraid would be its flaw.

As for the Manix, there was a tiny ridge of plastic that I could see and feel with my fingernail at the pivot-end of one of the scales that ran from the inside to the outside of the scale. There was also a tiny bit of side-to-side play, so I tightened down the pivot. Today, while using it I noticed that where that ridge of plastic had been there was now a crack running to the pivot hole. Did my tightening the pivot accelerate the crack forming—who knows? This is something I would return a not-second for, although I plan to continue using this knife (it still feels rock-solid). I would definitely consider buying another Manix (LW Salt, where are you???).

Incidentally, I tried fitting the MXG clip from my Brouwer on the Centofante. It does fit, although it's a little tricky to screw in as the screws need to be at the extreme insides of the clip's holes (effectively making the distance between the holes as little as possible). That makes it hard to keep the driver straight because of the rest of the clip getting in the way of the driver. It's going back on the Brouwer, which needs it more.

Images attached.

—James

Seconds Scores.jpg

I'm sorry to see that crack. I wonder if it came like that from the factory or your tightening of the pivot did that - curiously I also wonder what that ridge of plastic was - FRCP flash from the molding process?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

Those look excellent! Nice work!

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:32 pm
Catchadroppimgknife wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:14 pm

. Image
I don't think you'd have made a mistake if you directly went to buy a Watu ! It's an excellent knife. I can't stop trying to "pimp" mine !

Moosey

Post by Moosey »

Feel pretty good about my 3 knife mystery box! Kind of wish the Native Chief was a Military but beggars can't be choosers, and it's still an awesome knife!
Attachments
PXL_20230802_203927153.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Got my fifth Aqua Salt today.

:unicorn
clix

Post by clix »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:17 pm
Got my fifth Aqua Salt today.

Some included sheaths?

My 2x mystery box was a teal S90V blackout PE PM2 and an H1 SE Dragonfly. Not sure the value meets the cost of the box, but not bad over all
Formerly THG, Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Received the 'seconds' Swick days ago, but just got around to making the missing sheath today...knife seems first quality otherwise! This one goes to my college roommate who is now a record-holding solo sailor...destined to be a sea-going knife!
Attachments
Swick and Sheath.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think I said it earlier but in the order comment I asked for the order prepper to, if he/she had time to, add some padding in my package in order to block the knives from banging against each other. Since they go pretty far (France), last time they were pretty damaged from the travel.

Well, that employee did it, and did it like a champ ! I already cleaned, disassembled, scrutinized and reassembled and tuned all the knives except the Wings.

The Emphasis is in good shape. There's quite the number of fitting issues but I'm going to make everything flush (and certainly make scales too). It had issues with the posts on the body but I already had time to fix that.
The byrd Wings has an obvious issue :')

The Native Chief is really beautiful, I'm so happy to have a second Chief to play with ! Sporting a steel I only have one knife in nowadays. I've been so disappointed by other brands' M390 that I just stopped buying knives in this steel. Only thing that seems to make it a seconds is a few minor scratches on the kick of the blade and the jimping of the blade is hella wiggly.

Can't tell what's the issue with the Military. I have the exact same configuration so I disassembled both and put them side to side. Not one difference except the lockface of the lockbar. Seems like the point of contact is really minimal on this 2nds. But I'm pretty sure the other one was the same when it was new :winking-tongue.
Funny thing, this Military has one difference with my older one : it has the same detent ball path as the Military 2.

Thanks again to the Spyderco team, adding padding really helped these knives to reach me as they left :grin-smiling-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes :bug-red
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Pretty solid scores there Robin! Nice to see a lot of the seconds posted having such minor blemishes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:43 am
Pretty solid scores there Robin! Nice to see a lot of the seconds posted having such minor blemishes.
Thanks, and I'm totally happy of it yeah. Last time there was several significant blade warp. Doesn't detract from using and sharpening them but I definitely prefer scratches or damaged scales! For that Military I really can't tell though, and I'm a nutjob with a loupe so this isn't said lightly :')