Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:03 am
Anyone knows or could detect if the (light) brown Micarta Shaman has a stonewashed blade?

For most of you odd, probably, but I don´t care for Cruwear (S30V works perfectly for me), but sure for Micarta and stonewashed blades (specifically on the Shaman, not necessarely on all folders)... ;)
I don’t recall now but have you ever owned and used Cruwear? You write allot about things you have no experience with and usually have the good grace to admit it.

Is this one of those times again?

Frankly as I am selling off my collection the only knives that are 100% safe from being sold are the ones in Cruwear.

Have a very difficult time believing anyone does not care for Cruwear.
I am not a 100% sure if I get you right, due to my not perfect understanding of English: So I HOPE you mean, that WHEN I write about things I have no PRACTICAL experience with, I usually put it like "just think" or "just read" or "just heard" whatever I state about that thing. Right ? (I almost hate when people use the anonymity of the internet (where you can state everything, but have to prove nothing) to be someone they are not. Don´t want to be like that myself... ;) )

Concerning Cruwear: You´re right, I framed that sloppy. Should have said: "I don´t care to TRY OUT Cruwear, since I am totally fine with the steels I found out that work perfectly for me (S30V,VG 10, HAP 40...).
I would absolutely take a knife in Cruwear though, if it had features I like (Micarta...) or to put it better: I probably would not like Cruwear less than lets say S30V, but also don´t feel the need to absolutely try it (Cruwear).

Don´t want to turn this into a Cruwear-thread, so just briefly: From all I (just) read (mostly on this forum), I do not fully get why Cruwear should be that superior over other steels like just for example S30 V:
- On a folder I personally just don´t need a steel tougher than S30V
- As far as I know the edge holding is not better or even below S30V
- I am ok with sharpening S30V
- It is less rust proof than S30V

I get, that in theory it is a very well balanced steel, but (again, just in theory, I have no practical experience) it does not offer enough for me personally to really look for Cruwear...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above (and I DON`T mean you by the following and hope not to offend anyone): I have a feeling that many who praise Cruwear (and it might in fact be a great steel!!) in reality don´t use their (Cruwear-) knives enough or hard enough to really notice a vast difference to other steels... ;)

But that´s true for many hyped steels, I think: Many people probably could not tell the difference to other, a bit similar steels in a blind test..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

All that I can tell you on that one is that, to me, all steels have subtle nuances. I may not always be able to frame it in words or prove it scientifically. But I can feel it in my hand.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

jdw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 am
All that I can tell you on that one is that, to me, all steels have subtle nuances. I may not always be able to frame it in words or prove it scientifically. But I can feel it in my hand.
This is a very, very well said reply.

And yes Wartstein you always specify it is all good.

That being said I will say this about Cruwear.

All week long I have been tearing down double walled Dell Server and workstation boxes.

The PM2 in Cruwear has held an amazing edge through all of it.

At night when I got home it could no longer cut telephone book paper. So 10 Strokes at 15 degrees each side. On the fine white rods and it cuts telephone book paper again.

The sharpening response of this steel is phenomenal. It is like it just wants to get sharp and somehow is equally good as a slicer and push-cutting.

VG-10 as you are aware tends to be a slick feeling steel, S30V more toothy.

Cruwear combines both.

As for corrosion it is more resistant than M4 for certain and despite the numbers on paper does better than it should even with heavy chlorinated water that makes M390 rust.

It must have something to do with how the chromium in suspension forms chromium oxide.

M390 has rusted swifter than Cruwear in heavily chlorinated water.

What happens is unlike S30V that will not only rust but pit M390 developed a thin layer of rust but it does not stick you can wipe it off with a rag.

I have yet to get rust to form in the thumb ramps and jumping of Cruwear.

I have had rust form in the jumping and thumb ramps and in the pivot away from prying eyes in different steels. As follows:

M390
S30V
M4
K390

All in all Cruwear must be used to be fully understood and appreciated and a Shaman in Cruwear is instapurchase.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I have a cruwear manix on loan from a buddy, and I'm carrying it to check its rust/sweat resistance and general use. So far It's been remarkably stainless, definitely worlds away from M4's corrosion resistance.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:46 am
jdw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 am
This is a very, very well said reply.

And yes Wartstein you always specify it is all good.
Jdw's reply has to be respected and is valid, but imho also has to be discussed... ;) But I may do this in a dedicated Cruwear-thread, I'll search for one later.

And thanks! But I may correct your previous post a bit: Imho I don't "write a lot about things I have no experience with" (but IF I do I make that clear), my "problem " is rather the opposite: I write a lot and most times about things i definitely HAVE experience with (like really USING knives, backlocks...), but those things are not too many, and so I tend to repeat myself... :rolleyes:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

You might want to look at how many posts you make admitting you do not have this or that yet go on to form many opinions and have much to say. This is what I am referring to.

Nothing wrong with that either BTW. You are honest about it.

What I am saying is simple. Get a Cruwear Bladed Knife you most certainly as a knife enthusiast are missing out on a wonderful experience of using Cruwear.

Or don’t your choice, not selling anything but you may consider the recent Cruwear Delica I know I am looking forward to mine arriving tomorrow. It is affordable and should slice like crazy.

Now I think if Sal releases a Stretch in Cruwear we are both going to buy one :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This is the bombshell thread fellas. Many of us are getting notifications from this thread so please take your cruwear discussion elsewhere.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You guys are diluting the reason for this thread! It’s about what Sal says, right?

LC just beat me to it.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:23 am
This is the bombshell thread fellas. Many of us are getting notifications from this thread so please take your cruwear discussion elsewhere.
wrdwrght wrote: You guys are diluting the reason for this thread! It’s about what Sal says, right?

LC just beat me to it.
You are totally right and I apologize!

Only small excuse: I already said in my last post I'll continue the discussion in a dedicated Cruwear-thread. But should have done this earlier.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

sal wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am
I have plans to make the entire Endura family in K390. BU wasn't planning on making an more K390 until October so we're just waiting on material.

sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 am
I have plans to make the entire Endura family in K390. BU wasn't planning on making an more K390 until October so we're just waiting on material.

sal
Hah yeah, that was about 50.49 kilotons lol. I've really fallen in love with K390 since getting my Police4, and while I still love 52100 the best, I think an Endura family in K390 would be stellar, and such a smart move :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll definitely take an Endela and Ladybug in K390.

On a different note, can we please see a supersteel version of the Baby Horn? It is a severely underrated knife, I think a version in a hot steel would put it in more people's hands.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm
I'll definitely take an Endela and Ladybug in K390.

On a different note, can we please see a supersteel version of the Baby Horn? It is a severely underrated knife, I think a version in a hot steel would put it in more people's hands.

I am 100% supportive of any and all Baby Horn sprints

:D :D :D
~andrew
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bombshells > wish lists
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

From BladeForums "Which Spyderco are you carrying" thread:

"Production FRN Police 4 in VG-10.

sal"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

From the PD#1 mule thread today:

"Interesting stuff about Mule Teams might be coming. :cool: :p

sal"
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 pm
From the PD#1 mule thread today:

"Interesting stuff about Mule Teams might be coming. :cool: :p

sal"
What!?! Vanax! Or 15v! Or another Damascus! Ceramic?!? Folding mule!?! Hap...was it 72? I love the mules.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I really doubt he only means new steels. Sounds like he's referring to the design itself. If I had to guess... I'd say prepare for the folding "mules".
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah I was also thinking folding mules
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb