Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Re: Shaman Z-Wear Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)

Post by soc_monki »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:21 pm
Danvp wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:10 pm
visionloss wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:41 am
I'm glad to hear several others complaining about action grit/scratchy/screach issues. I'm dissapointed with my z-wear. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth as my stock g10 model. QC should have noticed the poor action if they opened/closed it even a couple times. Unless this falls within their allowable range, which I can't imagine because all my other spydercos are super smooth. For this reason it is probably my least favorite out of my collection. Pretty dissapointing lack of quality for a really hyped sprint. I hope this isn't the direction spyderco is headed.

It will break in with use. Give it some time...
Or be impatient like myself and immediately tweak the pivot :p
Exactly what's probably going to happen when mine arrives. Immediate teardown, clean, lube, and adjustment. Ive had a couple Spydercos come bone dry (like my Native Chief) so getting in there and making sure it is lubricated is a big thing for me!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Henry_P wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:36 pm

Ya I have noticed my shaman has already broken in some and is less scratchy then when I first unboxed it. I feel like whatever was causing the scratching is finally getting worn down. What is strange is that my blade centering seems to be correcting itself over time.

Blade centering is easy to fix. Look at which side the point favours when the knife is closed. If it is favoring the lock side, open it, put your left thumb on the pivot and pull the end of the blade towards you with your right hand. Works on PM2’s (had to fix multiple) and is not my idea. Learned it on YouTube. My shaman is dead center btw
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Got mine just a few minutes ago, courtesy of TkoK83Spy! Mines pretty much good to go, little blade play (easy to fix), slightly off center (also easy to fix). Great action.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
archangel

Post by archangel »

One observation I made: the Shaman has THE most aggressive blade spine jimping of all Spydies I've handled yet. It's almost as if it could be used as a file! Is it just this Z-Wear version? Or are jimpings on all Shamans like that? Jimping on my N5 is way more skin-friendly.

Another observation: the Shaman is the first compression lock that pinches me a little when I grab the knife real tight. Must be related to the very heavily shaped ergonomic scales. Every aspect has its pros and cons...

I've broken it in a good part now, and have compared it with my N5 G-10 extensively. They ARE brothers, without a doubt! :) Stating the obvious, I know... ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:19 am
One observation I made: the Shaman has THE most aggressive blade spine jimping of all Spydies I've handled yet. It's almost as if it could be used as a file! Is it just this Z-Wear version? Or are jimpings on all Shamans like that? Jimping on my N5 is way more skin-friendly.

Another observation: the Shaman is the first compression lock that pinches me a little when I grab the knife real tight. Must be related to the very heavily shaped ergonomic scales. Every aspect has its pros and cons...

I've broken it in a good part now, and have compared it with my N5 G-10 extensively. They ARE brothers, without a doubt! :) Stating the obvious, I know... ;)

The jimping on mine seems in line with the rest of the Golden models I compared to (Manix XL, Manix, PM2, and Para 3). I'm a jimping fanatic so as long as it isn't shredding my thumb to the point of drawing blood I'm good! I would say the Golden jimping is more aggressive than the Seki jimping for sure though!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:19 am

My S30v shaman is pretty tame. That's due to the stonewash on the blade. The zwear is satin, so it feels sharper. Same with my m4. Feels similar to my other golden knives with satin or dlc finishes.

Update on my zwear though. I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed it. It's as close to perfect as I can see. Very little loctite on the pivot and it was loosening, so that explains the blade play. I got it back together, took off the clip and left all screws loose. Put the blade at 90 degrees and tightened down the pivot and tightened all the scale screws, then adjusted the pivot for no play and good action. Not completely free swinging, but I can flick it closed no problem.

Reattached the clip, and the knife is almost perfectly centered. It's a hair off to the show side. I could probably get it perfect but it's fine for me, and I'll be using it so I'm not going to stress over it.

Now to look ahead at what configuration the Shaman will be in next!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Just received mine, thank you heaps to the person who helped me out!! This thing is burly! Makes the Military seem... not quite delicate, but you know? Smaller. The other thing I noticed right away is that I haven’t carried a comp lock in long enough that I’m reaching for the liner lock to close the Shaman.

RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

Did we ever get a notification of shipping to dealers for the Shaman like we got for the Salt 2 Green LC200N, Dragonfly 2 Pink S30v FRN, Police 4 LW K390, Delica 4 Pink/Black, Manbug Wharncliffe, etc, etc, etc

Why the exception? And is Bladegq going to release their bounty? Why the delay? The irony is that to buy the knife we have to work for a living which means we cannot hit F5 refresh all the time during the work week!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

RAHComanche wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:02 am
Did we ever get a notification of shipping to dealers for the Shaman like we got for the Salt 2 Green LC200N, Dragonfly 2 Pink S30v FRN, Police 4 LW K390, Delica 4 Pink/Black, Manbug Wharncliffe, etc, etc, etc

Why the exception? And is Bladegq going to release their bounty? Why the delay? The irony is that to buy the knife we have to work for a living which means we cannot hit F5 refresh all the time during the work week!
The notifications are only for regular production models, it seems. Not sprints or exclusives.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

So the slow trickle continues, no idea of the logistics involved in creating, manufacturing and delivering these knives but if I read the date code correctly mine was born August, 2020

I think I'd grab another one if I can be on time for the Blade HQ release
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
Zive

Post by Zive »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Sorry for the frustrations. I believe part of the issue is the recent increase in demand for Spyderco products. Most of these projects are started a year or two before they are released so quantities are "guessed" base on current demand at the time the project begins. We'll have to be more creative.

sal
PD1 Shaman with brown micarta handles, anyone?

Maybe with a bump up to 6,000 pcs they may stay in stock for a full 5 minutes :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Zive wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Sorry for the frustrations. I believe part of the issue is the recent increase in demand for Spyderco products. Most of these projects are started a year or two before they are released so quantities are "guessed" base on current demand at the time the project begins. We'll have to be more creative.

sal
PD1 Shaman with brown micarta handles, anyone?

Maybe with a bump up to 6,000 pcs they may stay in stock for a full 5 minutes :D

Nah, 3,600 is plenty between the two releases. They are selling on the bay now for $299.99, and I've seen a few on BF for S275, which isn't really too much of a markup, so it looks like *most* of the true (non-flipper) end user demand was met with this run where people aren't willing to pay $350, $400, or more like with the first run.

Time to move on to bigger and better things. Other models (Manix XL, Military, Endura, Endela), other steels like K390, AEB-L, and 3V, other colors like OD Green Micarta, Black Micarta, and Denim Micarta. The Micarta show is just beginning, let's not get too wrapped up in this single model/steel/color (I know, easy for me to say since I got one ;) ).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Zive

Post by Zive »

I completely agree, and was more so lamenting that even when Sal goes out of his way to please the community it never seems to be “enough”.

Would also prefer to see more attention/cru-carta treatment spent on other models.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Zive wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:26 pm
I completely agree, and was more so lamenting that even when Sal goes out of his way to please the community it never seems to be “enough”.

Would also prefer to see more attention/cru-carta treatment spent on other models.

I agree too. It is impossible to please everyone, that happens with every sprint run. I think they should spend their time creating other models not another micarta shaman.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
derp

Post by derp »

Henry_P wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:58 pm
Zive wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:26 pm

I agree too. It is impossible to please everyone, that happens with every sprint run. I think they should spend their time creating other models not another micarta shaman.
I'm interest in both more micarta shamans but also cru-carta manix 2/manix 2 xl please :)
Police 4 LW K390|Military 2 S110V|Stretch 2 LW K390|Manix 2 LW Maxamet|Manix 2 DLT DLC Cruwear|Manix 2 LW DLC M4|Manix 2 XL St. Nick's DLC 4V|Shaman Z-wear|Native Chief REX 45|YoJumbo S90V|Paramilitary 2 Salt Y/B Magnacut (Preorder)|Native Chief LW Salt LC200N (Preorder)|Bodacious SE S30V (Preorder)
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

My Shaman was very smooth straight out of the box. After a week though it started to screech and jam. Now I can’t flick it open. Tried the compressor and blew some air through it to no avail. Now I need to find some tools and buy oil and take it apart. Not the biggest of deals but a bit disappointing nevertheless, considering it’s a +$300 knife (in Europe).
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mine was pretty stiff, it’s loosening up. I’ll probably dismantle soon to grease the pivot and just cause I like to.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

The only thing I've noticed on mine is that when I press the lock lever to close the blade the ball bearing makes a grindy sound as it slides along the tang of the blade. If I press the lock lever in all the way, it's silent. I'm not used to the slightly stronger lock lever; it's me, not the knife.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Eratus wrote: My Shaman was very smooth straight out of the box. After a week though it started to screech and jam. Now I can’t flick it open. Tried the compressor and blew some air through it to no avail. Now I need to find some tools and buy oil and take it apart. Not the biggest of deals but a bit disappointing nevertheless, considering it’s a +$300 knife (in Europe).
It just needs a drop of oil. You dont need to disassemble it. Standard maintenance issue. Probably didnt get enough oil at the factory.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
archangel

Post by archangel »

Replacement MXG deep pocket carry clip, now at the right end of the handle (I prefer tip down carry on all my Spydies, where it is possible). NOW my Shaman is perfect! :)

20210314_111947_copy_1612x1209.jpg

MXG clip came with two replacement screws, but I couldn't use those cause when they were screwed in all the way, they locked the blade. I'll never understand how manufacturers of product specific add-ons can't actually make them right... oh well, no problem here since the factory screws had the right length.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...