NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know many of you didn't have the ability to watch...or care to watch, the Giants/Bucs game (can't blame you haha) But...Daniel Jones was very promising and encouraging for us beat down Giants fans, after what we've endured the past 7 seasons or so. Granted it was Tampa, but his comeback was pretty incredible, especially with them missing Saquon for the entire 2nd half.

The kid stood in the pocket, never looking nervous. He felt the rush, but kept his eyes down field. I will forever be grateful towards Eli, but that's something he has failed to do for years now...he just crumbles to the ground and accepts a sack. Jones also has the ability to not only scramble out of the pocket, but also run. Read through his progressions, made some great throws. I was very impressed and hope to see more of the same as his career progresses!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think Daniel Jones is going to be a nice replacement for Eli Manning. I truly owe the NY Giants a great debt of gratitude over the years for the two times that they humiliated the Evil Empire. The Giant's defense under Tom Coughlin was truly a work of art. I wish I could shake the guy's hand for putting Lord Brady in his place :D and twice at that :D
There's not too many coaches with the defensive prowess that Coach Coughlin had.

But it's now time for Eli to pass the torch. He should be glad for the career he had and should work with the coaching staff to help mentor Daniel Jones just like Alex Smith did with Patrick Mahomes. If Mr. Manning would do that it would sure give fans a deeper respect for all he did with the Giants over the years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GEE!! You Can't Buy The SUPERBOWL :confused: :o >> that's probably what Daniel Snyder is thinking at this point. Really if money alone could buy you an empire in the NFL then Daniel Snyder should have more success than the Evil Empire>> but it seems like every high dollar free agent he's spent truck loads of money on have backfired more than any other owner I've seen in modern history.

With Washington off to an 0-3 start this year doesn't appear very promising either :rolleyes: I've never been a Redskins fan for a lot of reasons. However there was one exception>> that's when Doug Williams humiliated John Elway in the 1988 Superbowl :D in grand fashion. Yeah Elway was the other Evil Empire back in those days. But it has really baffled me as to why Mr. Snyder can't seem to get anywhere with coaches or players no matter how much money he throws at the problem. If I was him I would get another hobby and quit wasting my money. Really it's borderline disgraceful the poor results he's had over the past 15 years or so :( Last night's game is truly proof of it.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 pm
What you're saying is so true concerning QBs. Because some QBs are great as long as they have Military-like protection. Take Steve Young the old 49er's QB. As long as he was protected he could pick you apart all day long>> but if they lay a really mean NFL type hit on him then he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn afterwards. I could name off at least a dozen who were just like him.
On the other hand there were a few really brave QBs like Dan Fouts, Bill Kenney, Roger Staubach and our own Lenny Dawson who could take a lot of punishment and seemed get better as the game went along.
Some of those "old-school" QBs were truly warriors in a sense. His majesty Lord Brady is a lot that way. Because once the NY Giant's defense of 10 years ago would hammer him then he was useless. I also doubt if his majesty Lord Brady could have stood a pounding from Mike Ditka's Chicago Bear's defense. I even wonder how our Patrick Mahomes could hold up under an old-school defense. I hope we never have to find out :o
It’s no joke that the game has changed. Maybe not for the better in terms of watching but it is better for the players. Was just reading about joe Montana. He has had like 22 surgeries since he retired. Fused vertibrae in his neck 3 times. Rebuilt elbow. Bum knees. He loses control of one of his eyes when he is tired. His hands hurt at night and keep up because the pain is so bad.
No one can tell me that Brady is better than Montana. Numbers don’t tell the whole story. Joe was tough and successful against the old school defenses. I don’t want any of my hero’s to live like this after they hang ‘em up. Just not right. Would rather these guys have the protection. Different eras. Different styles of play.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

We got a good Thursday night game!
Philly at Green Bay.
I'm gonna go totally against the grain and pick Philly to pull it off at Lambau.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm
We got a good Thursday night game!
Philly at Green Bay.
I'm gonna go totally against the grain and pick Philly to pull it off at Lambau.
Right now I'm giving the edge to Green Bay>> I truly think that Aaron Rogers has it clicking again. I also went on record earlier saying that Wentz isn't all that he's touted to be and so far it's appearing to be true. That loss to the Detroit Lions this past Sunday told me a lot. The Green Bay Packers is one of the very few teams I'm dreading to see the Chiefs play this season>> and we don't play them till the end of October. When we get past Green Bay and if we're still un-defeated then only the Evil Empire will stand in our way IMO. Now I will admit I'm a bit leery of Minnesota too because they are doing a lot better than I expected at the beginning of the season.

I think that Green Bay and Dallas are going to be the two teams to beat in the NFC. I don't see any team stopping Dallas except Green Bay at this point in the NFC. If I were gambling I would take the Packers by 10 easily in this upcoming Thursday night game.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 pm
What you're saying is so true concerning QBs. Because some QBs are great as long as they have Military-like protection. Take Steve Young the old 49er's QB. As long as he was protected he could pick you apart all day long>> but if they lay a really mean NFL type hit on him then he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn afterwards. I could name off at least a dozen who were just like him.
On the other hand there were a few really brave QBs like Dan Fouts, Bill Kenney, Roger Staubach and our own Lenny Dawson who could take a lot of punishment and seemed get better as the game went along.
Some of those "old-school" QBs were truly warriors in a sense. His majesty Lord Brady is a lot that way. Because once the NY Giant's defense of 10 years ago would hammer him then he was useless. I also doubt if his majesty Lord Brady could have stood a pounding from Mike Ditka's Chicago Bear's defense. I even wonder how our Patrick Mahomes could hold up under an old-school defense. I hope we never have to find out :o
It’s no joke that the game has changed. Maybe not for the better in terms of watching but it is better for the players. Was just reading about joe Montana. He has had like 22 surgeries since he retired. Fused vertibrae in his neck 3 times. Rebuilt elbow. Bum knees. He loses control of one of his eyes when he is tired. His hands hurt at night and keep up because the pain is so bad.
No one can tell me that Brady is better than Montana. Numbers don’t tell the whole story. Joe was tough and successful against the old school defenses. I don’t want any of my hero’s to live like this after they hang ‘em up. Just not right. Would rather these guys have the protection. Different eras. Different styles of play.
Brother you ain't kidding about the immortal Joe Montana. When we ( The KC Chiefs) got Joe Montana the last two years of his career those were some of the very best games I ever seen at ARROWHEAD Stadium. The very best game ever I seen at ARROWHEAD was when the 49ers came to KC with Steve Young to take on Joe Montana with the Chiefs. Well Joe and Marcus Allen both with the Chiefs gave the 49ers a big spanking that day. We held Jerry Rice to only 2 catches for about 20 yards. Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith literally ate Steve Young for lunch that day :eek: :D

I just wish we could have got maybe two or three more years from Joe. It was so great to have him here. You are so right that the pampered prince Lord Brady is not even 40% the QB that Joe Montana or Roger Staubach either one were. Those guys were truly super tough, old school NFL greats all the way :cool:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm picking GB over Philly on Thursday
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tough to bet against Rodgers, at home. Eagles are missing a few weapons on the offensive side of the ball too. I say the Packers win 27-20

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I know gang.....its really outrageous to pick the Eagles, especially how things are with them right now, but what the heck lol!
Btw, does anyone actually put money on these games?
Imo, ESPN pretty much just promotes gambling 24/7
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:43 pm
I know gang.....its really outrageous to pick the Eagles, especially how things are with them right now, but what the heck lol!
Like I said earlier right now with everything as it is>> barring injuries of course I don't see any NFC teams standing in the way of Green Bay or Dallas. Since Dallas got Jason Witten back it's as though they got superchaged in the off season. Elliot looks better now than I've ever seen him. And Prescott has really matured and doing much better too.

But I don't see Green Bay getting beat at Lambeau with Aaron Rogers doing as well as he is so far this upcoming game. Getting a new coach was the right thing for them to do in my opinion. Wentz to me is a "paper tiger" and I believe they are going to have a tough time just playing .500 ball this season>> if they even do that good. I predict they are really going to regret letting go of Foles. Foles is going to be back and he's going to do Jacksonville a lot of good.
Green Bay is also tough to beat on these nationally televised night time games too.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I don’t think the eagles are as bad as their record and Green Bay might not be that good.
I’m going with the eagles to bounce back and start to salvage their season.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Green Bay secondary is very underrated. Eagles haven't developed much of a run game thus far either. Making play action not as effective. Even Ertz hasn't even scored a TD this year, and that man is a MACHINE!

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Like I said earlier right now with everything as it is>> barring injuries of course I don't see any NFC teams standing in the way of Green Bay or Dallas. Since Dallas got Jason Witten back it's as though they got superchaged in the off season. Elliot looks better now than I've ever seen him. And Prescott has really matured and doing much better too.

But I don't see Green Bay getting beat at Lambeau with Aaron Rogers doing as well as he is so far this upcoming game. Getting a new coach was the right thing for them to do in my opinion. Wentz to me is a "paper tiger" and I believe they are going to have a tough time just playing .500 ball this season>> if they even do that good. I predict they are really going to regret letting go of Foles. Foles is going to be back and he's going to do Jacksonville a lot of good.
Green Bay is also tough to beat on these nationally televised night time games too.
We seem to have the same feelings about Philly this season. It just seems like the team doesn't rally around Wentz like they did with Foles. They even made shrines for Foles in the locker room because they liked him that much! I can absolutely see Philly struggling this season because of Wentz.
With that said, I dont think Philly has a chance at Green Bay this Thursday.
- Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:53 pm
MacLaren wrote:

We seem to have the same feelings about Philly this season. It just seems like the team doesn't rally around Wentz like they did with Foles. They even made shrines for Foles in the locker room because they liked him that much! I can absolutely see Philly struggling this season because of Wentz.
With that said, I dont think Philly has a chance at Green Bay this Thursday.
I think they are already having regrets trading Foles to the Jags. Their expectations of Wentz were way out of proportion IMO. Just the guy being injury prone as he seems to be would have had me doubting him as a first string QB :rolleyes: . Oh the guy is an athlete for sure>> no argument there but I don't think he had nearly the leadership ability that Foles had ( still has).
When Andy Reid fell out of favor with the ownership of that Eagles team I never ever thought it was Andy's fault. No Foles was the best thing that had happened to that team in a long time and their front office didn't even have sense enough to know when they had a "Proven Winner" :rolleyes: Even after winning the Superbowl against horrible odds no less.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm just wandering if Kansas City will land Ramsey....
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:21 am
Even though he would help any defense he’s on, their defense would undoubtedly benefit from having him.

Im kind of thinking he stays with the Jags this season. They’re asking a lot for him and it would be stupid to get rid of a player like him, in my opinion.
- Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 am
MacLaren wrote:
Even though he would help any defense he’s on, their defense would undoubtedly benefit from having him.

Im kind of thinking he stays with the Jags this season. They’re asking a lot for him and it would be stupid to get rid of a player like him, in my opinion.
That's a solid bet.
On the other hand, if KC is ALL IN, to win the Super Bowl this year, they may just give up the store to get him.
We shall see.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:08 am
Mushroom wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

That's a solid bet.
On the other hand, if KC is ALL IN, to win the Super Bowl this year, they may just give up the store to get him.
We shall see.
The latest platter chatter I've heard on Sports Radio here in KC that I've heard concerning Jalen Ramsey is that they are interested but not at a horrible expense. I'm doubtful myself because Andy along with the front office just doesn't chase free agents like some of these other teams do. They got Clark and Mathieu in the off season so I would personally be a little surprised if they did. The rumor mill isn't all that hot on any trade for him at this time. They are most worried about getting back Tyreek Hill and Eric Fischer from the injured list really soon more than anything else I've heard.

But if I hear anything developing I'll let you all know.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:24 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:08 am
Mushroom wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

That's a solid bet.
We shall see.
The latest platter chatter I've heard on Sports Radio here in KC that I've heard concerning Jalen Ramsey is that they are interested but not at a horrible expense. I'm doubtful myself because Andy along with the front office just doesn't chase free agents like some of these other teams do. They got Clark and Mathieu in the off season so I would personally be a little surprised if they did. The rumor mill isn't all that hot on any trade for him at this time. They are most worried about getting back Tyreek Hill and Eric Fischer from the injured list really soon more than anything else I've heard.

But if I hear anything developing I'll let you all know.
Cool JD.