Smock Anticipation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Smock Anticipation

Post by spyderg »

It’s here! I love it already. Did need a drop of oil, but then again most of my knives do when they arrive here in the winter. The factory stuff is never good enough for temperatures here. I didn’t take it apart, clean, relube, just added a drop on each side for now. You guys weren’t kidding, this thing is sharp! As I pulled it out of the box the hair on my arm just fell off! Time for a few notes on it. I’m sure I’ll post a bunch more in the next few days.

-as a lefty with lrg-xl hands I can say my hand does not push on the button in any grip other than reverse, then my pinky can land on it -but I never hold my knife that way unless I’m doing a YouTube review in my head, lol!

-the way I use the choil, as described and pictured in earlier posts works perfectly with no danger of getting poked.

-I personally really like the cf over g10 scales on this and other knives. I think it looks better and provides better grip than any solid cf I’ve experienced

-I am so happy Spyderco used the standard hourglass clip rather than a wire clip. Not only does it leave aftermarket options, but it is actually comfortable. Wire clips ruin knives for me as they dig in and move around.

- the lanyard hole...I could do without it. The clip would be fine moved up however I’m also fine with it as is. It sits in the right spot in my palm in the grips I hold it in. I’m not concerned with deep carry, it’s in far enough not to fall out and the exposed part makes for easy extraction.

-for my hand the handle is just right. I get (just barely but secure) 4 finger grip with my hand in the furthest back position without it feeling cramped as on a PM2. It’s tied with my Domino for ergos in my hand actually. Either is a little better in different grips.

-for a few reasons I’ll probably carry this even more often than my SK23. It’s thinner, in handle and blade stock. Slightly longer blade. As much as I like wharncliffes, I think this modified wharnie blade shape is a little better suited to my edc tasks. And of course because it’s new, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Check out Jordan from DLT Smock. ....very unique clip!

James
Attachments
2019-03-01 23.48.26.jpg
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

K, so I’m a little confused, (not really) there’s a lot of complaints about the clip, but the thing is it barely sits higher than a PM2 and although many like a deep carry for them, I don’t hear a lot of complaints about the PM2 clip position.
E40F3B3A-C5E6-4D5E-9E1C-C279C69CD593.jpeg
I’d be just fine with no lanyard and the clip moved a little but as it is, it’s super comfortable in hand and makes it easy to get out of pocket.
I think folks are actually more upset about the lanyard hole taking precedence over the clip position rather than the clip position itself.
I swapped my Rhino clip for butterfly brand deep carry. On that knife the stock clip was uncomfortable. Also too much of the knife %wise sat out of pocket, making it more likely to work its way out, perhaps...I didn’t leave the stock clip on long enough to find out.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

If anyone has any comparison requests I’ll take pics if I have what is you’d like to see.
I have one, Smock beside a 940 open and closed. Anyone got both? I’m curious to see how they compare.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I really didn't think it was as bad as it looked in the YouTube videos and pictures once I had mine in my own hand and pocket. Had I not had an extra Lynch deep carry clip laying around, I think I would have kept the clip that came with it. That or maybe switched it up with the clip that came with the GB2, which isn't as polished and would also look great on the Smock.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Clips are generally a non issue for me. My Rhino’s stock clip worked so well I left it alone. On my Para Military 2s, they got moved to the pivot show side which got it out of the way and made the knife ride a bit deeper, which I don’t care about one way or the other. Some other knives, I take them off, add a simple fob and pocket carry.

I am constantly amused by the little internet squalls over something that seems to bother only a minority and is so easily remedied. I think that most knife people don’t care much about clips if they work.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

For me, it’s how a clip works for me on whatever knife I’m using. If it’s comfortable in hand and secure in pocket I leave it alone. I usually bend them a bit when switching for left carry to give better retention. I’d prefer to wear out a pocket rather than lose a knife, my jeans tend to wear out as fast as pocket clip wear anyway.
I’ll repeat myself by saying I’m very happy they didn’t use a wire clip on this knife! I dislike them, they dig in and move around in use. I’ve really tried to like them but no go for me. I don’t carry my Techno because of the wire clip. Rarely carry my Mantra or Caly 3.5 although it’s not too bad on that one as it’s a light duty knife for me. Wire clip is fine on something tiny and light use like Dragonfly but on a full size knife for edc no thanks.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Just a few comparisons I thought were interesting.
A5B662BE-2E61-46D0-BFC2-726250C04147.jpeg
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

And of course compared to an SK23
BF8FDDDB-B771-4ED3-9F03-2710CEF36CF7.jpeg
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Oh, and in case you didn’t know, there’s a fair bit of Kevin’s other folder design, SK45 (a framelock flipper) in the Smock too.
111C0184-B9DD-4F3C-8A1F-9C324E9CBE79.jpeg
(not my pics this time, just pulled some off google to show them in similar positions for comparison)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ordered one of these today. Bigger knife than I usually carry but it's slim so we will see. So many spyderco firsts... Had to go for it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am
Oh, and in case you didn’t know, there’s a fair bit of Kevin’s other folder design, SK45 (a framelock flipper) in the Smock too. 111C0184-B9DD-4F3C-8A1F-9C324E9CBE79.jpeg(not my pics this time, just pulled some off google to show them in similar positions for comparison)

One of the things that’s bugging me about the ergos on the smock is where to put my index finger when holding the knife. The blade choil isn’t really an option because it’s sharp and not a good fit. The spot under the pivot seems like a poor choice as well since it’s flat with no grip. By default I’m putting my index finger in the area where the opening hole rests in the closed position. Seeing your picture above I can see on the SK45 the area under the pivot is where the flipper tab sits. The Smock has no flipper tab though. Would have been nice to include a little choil there. Maybe I’ll mod mine?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Ordered one of these today. Bigger knife than I usually carry but it's slim so we will see. So many spyderco firsts... Had to go for it
It carries small since it’s not got a lot of blade sticking out of the handle when closed. A lot of Spydies have a lot of blade sticking out hogging pocket space.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:56 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 am
Oh, and in case you didn’t know, there’s a fair bit of Kevin’s other folder design, SK45 (a framelock flipper) in the Smock too. 111C0184-B9DD-4F3C-8A1F-9C324E9CBE79.jpeg(not my pics this time, just pulled some off google to show them in similar positions for comparison)

One of the things that’s bugging me about the ergos on the smock is where to put my index finger when holding the knife. The blade choil isn’t really an option because it’s sharp and not a good fit. The spot under the pivot seems like a poor choice as well since it’s flat with no grip. By default I’m putting my index finger in the area where the opening hole rests in the closed position. Seeing your picture above I can see on the SK45 the area under the pivot is where the flipper tab sits. The Smock has no flipper tab though. Would have been nice to include a little choil there. Maybe I’ll mod mine?
This is how I hold it in different grips.
BC7FA4CD-F385-4C0A-8574-20D1C43C1E4E.jpeg
It’s a little awkward to hold it and get a pic showing where my fingers land but this is close. I find it very comfortable and useable in these grips for different cutting. No hot spots, lots of control, easy to apply pressure for a harder cut. It just works for my hand. My hitchhiker thumb, (or big ol toe thumb as my wife calls it) can land on or ahead of the jimping nicely, I find most with a ramp leave me very cramped on there.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

An interesting thing happens to the smocks action when you remove the second detent ball..

https://youtu.be/K-FBzILRue0
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Why?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:05 am
Why?

Still functions fine, now it’s like a para 2. I guess the answer to your question is to add another option for deployment.

@liquid_cobra
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yikes! Though the fidgeters will have a field day with this.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

MichaelScott wrote:
Why?
The second detent ball is only there to comply with the myriad of knife laws out there about pushbutton free-droppers. I'm pretty sure there is a reason that it is very easy for us to remove it. ;)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Why?

Still functions fine, now it’s like a para 2. I guess the answer to your question is to add another option for deployment.
Yup, that’s exactly how my SK23 functions. And don’t worry folks I’ve never had the blade accidentally open. And the detent is a touch lighter on the SK.
Do you find the detent feels a bit lighter without the double detent?