Canvas micarta scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Canvas micarta scales

Post by Wartstein »

Though I currently only have one with Micarta scales when it comes to folders: Absolutely love that material for scales! Way more than G10 or CF, even slightly more than wood (which I do like a lot too).

While FRN is better imo practically speaking especially when it comes to "grippiness", Micarta feels best in hand and similar to tool steels in the realm of steels, Micarta can show "life", use and "history" of a knife in the realm of handles.

Now one thing I hear often I found NOT to be true though: "Micarta gets grippier when wet".
Not for me, and not even when new/"ungreasy".

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

gotta agree. my micarta scales are grippiest when dry and clean.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:01 am

Yes, and it makes total sense that it is that way - but have you heard / read that myth I mentioned too? ("Advantage of Micarta is it gets grippier when wet" )?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:10 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:01 am

Yes, and it makes total sense that it is that way - but have you heard / read that myth I mentioned too? ("Advantage of Micarta is it gets grippier when wet" )?
My experience is the same as yours. No scale material is grippier when wet for me - micarta of all sorts included.

I've tried linen, canvas and paper micarta in a variety of finishes, froklm smooth and polished to coarse and abrasive. I'd call it a myth too based on my experience.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:55 am
easy to clean if you feel the need
:neutral
Hahaha, you know I hate the look of new micarta!! It's way to plushy looking to me, same goes for Terotuff. I'm thankful for my greasy Italian hand oils to darken them up a bit :cheap-sunglasses
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:05 pm
I used to prefer linen micarta from an aesthetic viewpoint. But after handling enough micarta, it is the canvas micarta that quickly became my favorite.

I even started to make scales for the GB2 with micarta. For now I've only made green canvas micarta scales (2 sets), but in the next weeks I'll definitely make more !

Beautiful work Robin…I’m thinking the GB2 may just have to move to the top of my list 🤔
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love Micarta. It is normally my favorite scale material. I prefer linen Micarta over canvas, but either is usually okay. Linen Micarta makes a good approximation of elephant ivory when polished nicely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I like micarta on stainless knives. Like everyone knows, micarta absorbs oils. Body oils break down and grow bacteria which is gross on a tool I use to cut food with. I like micarta on stainless knives so I can wash them often without worrying about rust forming under the handles.

I have two EDC fixed blades. One is Elmax with micarta handles, the other is V4E with carbon fiber handles. The V4E knife gets wiped down with Froglube (nontoxic and great for rust prevention) regularly. I like that the CF handles don't absorb oil from the blade, or from my skin. The CF isn't grippy at all, but the design of the handle does it's job locking into my hand. The micarta handled Elmax blade gets used for food all the time, but it is washed before kitchen duty if it has been in my sweaty waistband all week, then again afterwards.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:49 am
Beautiful work Robin…I’m thinking the GB2 may just have to move to the top of my list 🤔
Thanks a lot ! The GB2 with some micarta became even better for me. It made me want to find a GB1 :rofl . But it's pretty hard to find, I found one at a gigantic price, I can't allow myself to pay as much. If i really don't find a GB1, I guess I'll buy a second GB2 one day or another... lol

I have to say that the Froglube paste does wonder to protect a blade from corrosion. The GB2 is my only M4 knife and for some reason it is the steel I was the most afraid of making a rust bucket out of. It hasn't even started to patina with that protection ! I have to say that I never did cut food with it though
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Canvas micarta is my second favorite handle material behind Fat Carbon.
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:33 pm
I do wish someone I would make some Shaman-style contoured Micarta scales for the Para family. I think Lotus did, but I don’t want to put imported scales on my PM2.
I have a set of the Flytanium Lotus scales on my Cruwear PM2. Their quality is top notch, way better than the Putman scales I just bought for the Lil Native. I'm considering buying a set for my beater Para as well. If you're worried about quality being impacted, you don't need to worry about that. Tho I understand not wanting Chinese scales on American knife.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:25 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:49 am
Thanks a lot ! The GB2 with some micarta became even better for me. It made me want to find a GB1 :rofl . But it's pretty hard to find, I found one at a gigantic price, I can't allow myself to pay as much. If i really don't find a GB1, I guess I'll buy a second GB2 one day or another... lol

I have to say that the Froglube paste does wonder to protect a blade from corrosion. The GB2 is my only M4 knife and for some reason it is the steel I was the most afraid of making a rust bucket out of. It hasn't even started to patina with that protection ! I have to say that I never did cut food with it though
I’ve seen a few GB1’s but they’ve been PRICEY… I’d definitely get micarta scales for whatever version I end up with…yeah froglube or edci is the way to go 👊
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

dull&blunt wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:12 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:33 pm
I do wish someone I would make some Shaman-style contoured Micarta scales for the Para family. I think Lotus did, but I don’t want to put imported scales on my PM2.
I have a set of the Flytanium Lotus scales on my Cruwear PM2. Their quality is top notch, way better than the Putman scales I just bought for the Lil Native. I'm considering buying a set for my beater Para as well. If you're worried about quality being impacted, you don't need to worry about that. Tho I understand not wanting Chinese scales on American knife.
Thanks D&B, I do appreciate the reassurance. Maybe I’ll give up and order some, just seems like a faux pas to me.

FWIW, I wasn’t very happy with my Putnam scales either. I’ve been very happy with RGT.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Add me to the list of very happy RGT Micarta scales customers.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Yes, all types, but especially brown.
Attachments
26556129-2997-43EE-936A-87CE54103322.jpeg
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Love micarta! Especially denim micarta!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread brings back to my mind that I definitely want to give one of my Stretch 1s denim or brown (not decided yet) Micarta sales... forgot about that old "project" of mine, just cause I have not really been carrying my Stretches for quite a while now (sole reason being that I prefer SE these days but "only" have PE Stretch 1s)
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

After having my crucarta PM2 for a week now, I understand the love for micarta and the crucarta combo. Grippy, nautral, develops its own unique patina...

I might have to make myself a set for the Mule now. Does micarta sand similarly to G10? Easier? Harder? Does it want to gum up paper? Any tips or tricks besides cut then sand until happy?