Surprised By New FFG Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MFlovejp

Re: Surprised By New FFG Delica

Post by MFlovejp »

Geometry cuts as they say. Try stacking up a serrated Delica (2.5mm) against the serrated Para 3 (3.7mm) and you might be amazed again. Spyderedges have a smaller inclusive edge angle vs factory plain edge.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

BeggarSo wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:47 am
Great choice!

For me the ffg Delica still is the best small Spydie out there (with stiff competition by the Chap)

Roomy handle, still a ricasso to choke up on and first and foremost a strong enough, but reasonably thin blade.
The a bit reenforced tip (by that "drop") is also nice.

When testing the Delica side by side with knives like a Native, let alone a Para 3 (I did that with both), to me it is a a bit of a headscratcher why the two latter have such thick blade stock - especially the pretty thick Para 3.

Never came even close to breaking a ffg Delica or Salt 2, despite using them pretty hard.

/ Ah, and your reground sg Delica looks good, man!!
This is something like the 4th time I have read you going on about the Para3 in a less than favorable light recently.

Looking at the sprint run Delicas now available this morning I decided to pull out my Cruwear Delica and to be honest even after sharpening it up a bit I am not as impressed with it by a long shot as I am with the Para3 fully serrated.

Have you tried a properly sharpened fully serrated Para3 in S30V?

I guarantee it will outperform a Delica or a Chap in each and every way. Not to mention no annoying typical Spyderco lock rock when pushing down on a cutting board to slice something with the mid and back lock knives.

If you have not tried a Para3 fully serrated you really do owe it to yourself to give it a try.

I think you will be very surprised by what you will discover. I for one have no use for a Para3 in Plain Edge even though I own a few in different steels, but the serrated version is a slicing masterpiece just catch a piece of cardboard or anything else for that matter in one of those scallops and it sings right through it, darn near feels like magic.

Lol I recently compared it in cutting against my Cruwear Ayoob and thought dang this is still better, wow really something else! Such huge cutting ability in such a small package.
I love my Parra 3
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is the only 3" knife I have found that actually fits the human male hand without the use of a choil. The first time I picked up the Delica 4 my hand said, "Ahhh!" It was comfortable, like my leather recliner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:38 pm
BeggarSo wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:47 am
This is something like the 4th time I have read you going on about the Para3 in a less than favorable light recently.
I love my Parra 3

Sure, it is a very cool little knife and I´d still choose it over almost any small folder of any other company!

I think this thread is more about performance though, and when it comes to pure cutting / slicing, adding almost 50 % or compared to the Chap over 80 % more thickness to a bladestock in a small blade just alters this particular single parameter in the direction of "less good" of a slicer.
Other parameters of course can make up for this to a good amount! (As said: Tapering, blade height, thickness behind the edge, grind angle, ....).

I personally just came to a point where I have no use for thick stock in small blades, especially if they still have rather fine tips: Should one ever do something totally crazy like brutally pry with the (thicker) blade, the fine tip would snap long before the thicker stock could play out its advantages. So why not enhance performance in the first place and start out with a thinner bladestock?

(For the sake of completeness: Of course thick stock does have some advantages unrelated to cutting performance: For example a more comfortable place to put the thumb on and technically a more secure lockup with certain locktypes)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:56 pm
The Delica is the only 3" knife I have found that actually fits the human male hand without the use of a choil. The first time I picked up the Delica 4 my hand said, "Ahhh!" It was comfortable, like my leather recliner.

Agreed!

As I always say: In this particular size range a choil makes the least sense to me personally:

- Handle WOULD be long enough overall to offer a good four finger grip
- Giving it a choil though shortens the available space behind the choil so that now four fingers of a larger "male hand" DON`T fit there anymore (but are forced to use this choil)
- The choil additionally shortens the available cutting edge length (due to its blade part) while offering in this particular size range (!! this is different in even smaller or larger folders!) no real advantage...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)