K390 in the Spyderco Byte; a compliment and two requests

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: K390 in the Spyderco Byte; a compliment and two requests

Post by kennethsime »

I haven’t read the byte, but if I may: can we please get some more Golden models made in this amazing steel? Or at least 10V? Or at least Cruwear? And how about some more Micarta?

Ok, that’s all folks, I’ll see myself out.

In all honesty, I’m really stoked on them current K390 Seki-City lineup. I think that’s what Spyderco does best: taking super steels and putting them into lightweight, affordable packages. Great job, Sal + friends.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:46 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 pm
Why is that photo screaming "buy a police" to me?
It is. I can hear it. You should :grin-big eyes
Enablers! 😁 I'm trying to stay strong and keep all me knife money for the MuleTeam but that picture is magic.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ric

Post by Ric »

On the picture I miss the Para 3 K390 rangergreen.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:49 am
I haven’t read the byte, but if I may: can we please get some more Golden models made in this amazing steel? Or at least 10V? Or at least Cruwear? And how about some more Micarta?

Ok, that’s all folks, I’ll see myself out.

In all honesty, I’m really stoked on them current K390 Seki-City lineup. I think that’s what Spyderco does best: taking super steels and putting them into lightweight, affordable packages. Great job, Sal + friends.
I'd have liked Maxamet in all the Golden models, but I get the impression it's difficult to work with. I'd also be happy with 15V across the Golden line up if after people have spent some time using and sharpening it, it compares favorably to k390. (I can already say it reprofiles easier).

Would suit me to have VG-10, K390, H-2 be the standard production Japanese Spyderco's and S30V 15V Magnacut be the Golden standard production steels. I would of course hope we still see sprinklings of hap40, Rex45, 4V, Maxamet, S110V, S90V, ZDP-189.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Ya’ll best stay away from Böhler K390 Microclean featured with third generation particle metallurgy. It will spoil everything else because it’s that good. It does take a while to sharpen, 2 or 3 hours to get my convex edge profile using three 6”x1.5” strips of 400 grit sandpaper over leather and one 600 grit as a final step. It’s hard. But it’s magic. No gummy wire edge that takes forever to remove. That is a huge plus. This was used to create a chicken cobbler, slicing chicken thighs, carrots, onion, celery, and asparagus. It does cutting board and reverse grip paring (edge facing thumb) like no other with the ramp resting against forefinger and lower three fingers lightly but securely wrapping the handle.
All the cooking and some gardening, slicing branches and the edge was completely and totally unfazed. Zero micro chips or rolls and still razor sharp. Usually I’m using and sharpening for a few times before the steel, any stainless from low to high end acts right. This blows away my carbon steels too, the only thing I usually use in the kitchen.

Food prep, hiking blade, edc… it’s even starting a patina from the limited use so far. It’s going to get a lot more. K390 surprised me. Don’t start with this stuff or you’ll be hooked immediately.

The Huron Lake blue is gorgeous for the FRN.
dsm

Post by dsm »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:59 pm
Have been waiting for:
The speed at which I’d purchase this would break the sound barrier
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The FRN Police 4 in K390 kicked everything else out of my pocket.
It's an Endura5 XL.