Your value line knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger_Ike

Re: Your value line knives

Post by Ranger_Ike »

apollo wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:57 pm
First off how did you polish those scales? That looks amazing!

About the value line there are a few in my collection. Those are my work carry’s and i use them very hard. Scratches,chips, once or twice even a broken tip are what they go true.
And they take it very well and i love them for it.
Then when i get home they can rest and my Manixes can take over.

My last purchase was a secondhand Resilience. Now its far to big for work but at home he seems like a magnificent addition to my collection.

I can only hope Spyderco can keep on growing the value line even more.
They are to important in the line up.
Thanks! I liked it before, but really like it a lot better now. I actually saw this older post with a polished Cat and wanted to get a value knife and try it out ever since:

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=76039

I used only 2000 grit sandpaper and sanded it under a trickle of running water in the kitchen sink to keep the dust down. Once I got it about where I wanted it I used Mother’s Mag wheel polish on a microfiber rag to polish it. Really pleased with the results.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:39 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:59 pm

This isn't my favorite value Spyderco. It's my favorite Spyderco in general.
Wow. That’s a big statement. Does the lack of concern because of the price have anything to do with this? Or is it just that good?
That's a testament to the design itself.

Now the Pacific Salt is still the last knife I'd get rid of if it came down to it. But the Resilience is my current favorite overall design. I like the Pacific Salt for being a lightweight rustproof work horse, and it's the Spyderco best suited to my lifestyle, but it isn't the most ergonomic, best cutter, etc.

My favorite Spyderco folding design went something like this over the years:

Military, C95 Manix, Police 3, Military, Manix XL, Police 4, Native Chief, Resilience.

Basically for about 15 years it was a three way battle between the Military, Police and Manix XL / C95. I've carried nearly every main iteration of these three, whether we're talking a classic SS Police, Police 3, Police 4 FRN, Police 4 G10, Police 4 Pakkawood, and so on with the others.

The Native Chief kind of settled the debate for me. It has a lot going for it over my classic three, like being a little lighter, packing more edge into a smaller package, lockback vs liner lock, 4 way clip, better geometry etc.

Comparing the Resilience to the Native Chief I immediately saw some things I liked better and worse.

Prefer the lockback, but the liner lock has worked great on my Resiliences so far. No accidental openings in my pocket. I went five years not carrying detent based locks because I have a scar on my pinky from a time a tip up comp lock knife cut me when reaching in my pocket. No issues carrying the Resilience tip up in my rear pocket on my chef pants at work, which is how the PM2 caught me.

I love Salts, and have wished for a Chief Salt, but the coated Resilience performs pretty close to one for me. Aside from a little discoloring of the Spyderco logo, there's been no rust or corrosion to report. The coated hardware goes a long way. The coated S30V Manix XL's gave me similar performance (albeit 3-4x the cost), so I have high expectations going in. The blade is not DLC coating, but the coating has held up and kept corrosion at bay.

Four way clip comes standard on the Chief, but it gives the Resilience a big edge over my only other liner lock - my Military.

No choil is great. I prefer it. Sometimes when I'm cutting plastic wrap at work it gets hung up on the choil if I carry my Chief, Manix XL etc. No issue with the Resilience.

The ergonomics work great for me. Always liked the Tenacious and how hand filling it is for the size, it's just a bit small for me overall. I've had no issues choking up for detailed tip work despite the lack of a choil and the overall size.

Cutting performance is very high. Nice and tall full flat grind with a reprofiled edge. 20 degrees inclusive SE portion taken to a high polish, and PE is about 20-24 degrees inclusive sharpened to shaving sharp 300 grit. There's nothing this knife can't cut that falls withim the realm of things a pocket knife should be used on.

Being $60 is nice for peace of mind, but I'm willing to put $200 knives through the wringer. It's the strength of the design.

I feel dumb for over looking this knife for so long. You guys have seen my collection. Micarta & M4 Manix XL, Pacific Salts galore, K390 Police 4's, M4 Chiefs, Siren, etc. I'm carrying this silly little $60 chinese liner lock over some really nice alternatives. That's the best endorsement I can give it.
:unicorn
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I know what you mean about the choil design. While I love the feel and control of a choil, there are times it can be a hindrance. Mainly breaking down boxes. The chief, for me, is a box cutting machine, but I do find myself hanging up in the choil quite often. Could just be my technique. Breaking down cardboard isn’t something I do a lot of.

From my own limited experience (astute and tenacious) and reading other reviews, what I’ve found in the value line is not just good knives for the money, but overall great quality and performers. They hold their own.

And I think for me, what stands the Spyderco value line apart from a lot of other budget knives is the same thing that makes their higher end knives stand out: great design. Take away all the high end steel and higher end materials and you still have great designs.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Coastal wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:03 pm
My favorite value-line knives are the Astute and the S35VN Resilience.
If Spyderco ever does a steel upgrade with the Astute like the S35VN Resilience, I can't help but think that it will become a favorite among the meat and potatoes 3" EDC crowd. Gotta say that IMHO the fit & finish and build quality of my S35VN Resilience does not take a back seat to Golden. Makes me wonder if the build quality, fit & finish of the regular 8Cr13MoV model is as good. If anyone has both, could they weigh in?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:35 pm
Coastal wrote:
If Spyderco ever does a steel upgrade with the Astute like the S35VN Resilience, I can't help but think that it will become a favorite among the meat and potatoes 3" EDC crowd. Gotta say that IMHO the fit & finish and build quality of my S35VN Resilience does not take a back seat to Golden. Makes me wonder if the build quality, fit & finish of the regular 8Cr13MoV model is as good. If anyone has both, could they weigh in?
An S35VN Astute would be an automatic buy for me, especially if it had the same FRN scale treatment as the Resilience.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Coastal wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:43 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:35 pm
Coastal wrote:
An S35VN Astute would be an automatic buy for me, especially if it had the same FRN scale treatment as the Resilience.
I agree 100%. Don't get me wrong as the Delica is a great knife and probably the defacto standard for 3" EDC, but an S35VN Astute in either handle material would be my choice hands down. More compact, more cutting edge, and if the build quality is the same as my S35VN Resilience, I would call it Value Line luxury. Might only be a 3 finger knife for Vivi sized hands, tho. :winking-tongue
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

jdw wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:32 pm
I don't think that it's officially in the value line but I love the Cat. For my tastes and needs I can't think of a better value in the Spyderco line up at any price point.
I agree! I have an older Cat with jimping on the choil and thumb ramp. It is a wonderfully made knife. The quality of build and materials are those of a far more expensive knife. I can't say about the newer ones, but this one I have raved about before.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Although $46 now, when it was released at $32.50 a few years ago I thought it was the best value in their lineup and one of the best values in all of the knife world.
Attachments
troutbowriver.jpg
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:50 pm
PM2 and delica comparison:

That last picture is interesting, the Astute seems to pack a lot of blade relative to that small handle 🤔

I could see myself getting one if it were available in a backlock variant.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Araignee wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:35 am
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:50 pm
PM2 and delica comparison:

That last picture is interesting, the Astute seems to pack a lot of blade relative to that small handle 🤔

I could see myself getting one if it were available in a backlock variant.
Its my first liner lock from Spyderco. I generally stay away from them, but have been pleased with this one.

It’s the first time I’ve opened a knife and then wondered if the blade would fit back in the handle if I closed it. :winking-tongue
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:11 am
Although $46 now, when it was released at $32.50 a few years ago I thought it was the best value in their lineup and one of the best values in all of the knife world.
How do you like it compare to other fillet knives? Is it more of an all purpose that works well enough? Or is it good enough to be a dedicated fillet knife?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:36 am

How do you like it compare to other fillet knives? Is it more of an all purpose that works well enough? Or is it good enough to be a dedicated fillet knife?
I haven't tried it for filleting because it doesn't flex. I just use it for general outdoors stuff when I'm fishing, like cutting up bait or gutting the fish. Now that you mention it, I'll try it out on the next trout.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My new official eating knife : Tenacious LW SE

Managed to snag this one new at Lamnia for very cheap, and it's been a fire knife since I've received it !
Last edited by Ramonade on Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:36 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:11 am
Like bornin1500 said, they're a little thick for a dedicated filet. You could definitely use it for that role though.
:unicorn
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:21 pm
jdw wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:32 pm
I don't think that it's officially in the value line but I love the Cat. For my tastes and needs I can't think of a better value in the Spyderco line up at any price point.
I agree! I have an older Cat with jimping on the choil and thumb ramp. It is a wonderfully made knife. The quality of build and materials are those of a far more expensive knife. I can't say about the newer ones, but this one I have raved about before.
Another vote for the Cat! Love that little guy!
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:26 am
My new official eating knife :

Managed to snag this one new at Lamnia for very cheap, and it's been a fire knife since I've received it !
Persistence?
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Didn’t realize how awesome thar astute is. Love the blade handle ratio and how the edge goes to the handle. Will definitely pick one up in the future
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:04 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:26 am
My new official eating knife :
Persistence?
Oh sorry, I edited my post. It's the Tenacious LW in SE ! I thought that I should experience one of the best sellers of Spyderco, and I'm not disappointed :winking-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I thought the serrated ClipiTool Rescue Multi-Tool knife I gifted to my dad was quite nice.
Unfortunately, he snapped the tip off trysting to pry up nails while working on a dock (which I repaired), ignored my advice to use the flathead tool, and then decided it was a good idea to try to pry open a large plastic drum. That obviously snapped the blade at the SpyderHole…

Otherwise, it had been working well for him and he was fond of it. He needs serrations and likes the peace of mind that seatbelt cutter gave him. I had to take it apart and maintain it a bit to counter the extremely corrosive and dirty work environments that my dad’s dock building and mechanic work exposed it to, but it held up well.
No hard feelings between us despite the several knives he’s lost or destroyed after I gifted them lol.

That was the knife which motivated me to design something best suited for dad’s needs. The concept drawing and testing I’ve done have been sitting around in my mind for a while now.

I need to get him a CE Tenacious or maybe a Pacific Salt next.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If your Dad does more prying than cutting, maybe you could get him one of those fancy prybars? You could hang a Manbug Salt off the lanyard if he still needs an edge! It's also a bit small to pry with.
Last edited by JRinFL on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001