Spyderco Safety Razor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Spyderco Safety Razor?

Post by RustyIron »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:23 pm
While knives and razors seem like allied concepts, I really don't think they are...
You're kinda right... and maybe a little wrong... I think.

I like edges... maybe I have an edge fetish. Whether it's a drill bit, lathe tool, scraper, scissors, pruner, sushi knife, or Magnacut Mule, I like putting an edge on it and then using it to cut stuff. In rereading that, it sounds really weird, like something Angelina Jolie or Sid Vicious would say. Nevertheless...

It's easy to see how someone who likes knives can also get excited about the "knife" he uses to slice hair from his face every day... or legs... or whatever. Even though I think Spyderco knives are the shizz for carrying in my pocket, I don't think I'd care one way or the other if they started making razor blades or endmills.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If they partnered with Feather in Japan we could have a smooth stainless Spyder razor and use uber sharp Feather blades in them.

I wonder of Magnacut would be a good steel choice for a three piece safety razor? Many are made from 316L.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Woof, I think MagnaCut would be a sight more extravagant than 316L!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:31 pm

I wonder of Magnacut would be a good steel choice for a three piece safety razor?
Everyone would be sitting at their computers in preparation for the drop. At the prescribed date and time, the Magnacut razors would go on sale, Spyderco's servers would slow to a crawl, and all the flippers would snatch up all the blades.

None of the "real" shavers would get a blade, so all the SpydieBoys would all have beards like Rip VanWinkle, and the SpydieGirls would have legs like Sasquatch.

This wouldn't end up well for anyone.

🧔🏻♂️🧔🏾🧔🏻♀️
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Your safety razor handle doesn't need to take any edge or be harden-able - not sure what Spyderco could bring to the table

I think of Spyderco as a tool company and less of "man" jewelry company
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I use an Edwin Jagger safety razor myself on days when I have time to do a proper wet shave, otherwise, I just use a Harry's cartridge razor in the shower if I need a quick shave before work.

I'm generally of the belief that companies shouldn't enter new markets unless they have something meaningful to contribute, be it a way to improve a product, serve a previously un-served or underserved market, etc.

If I think about the heart and soul of Spyderco, I think two things: out-of-the-box ideas that nobody else will try and endless pursuits of performance. I'd want to see both of these if something like a safety razor came out.

When it comes to out-of-the-box ideas, I've only seen one company attempt to innovate when it comes to safety razors which was Merkur with their "Futur" razor -- which I felt was seriously flawed.

In terms of performance, I'm really not sure I see the room to improve -- you're using double-edged blades and unless Spyderco is going to enter this market and create better blades, I don't see much remove for performance-focused improvements to the actual safety razor itself, but maybe I'm wrong.

I really think a straight razor is more of Spydercos' area to contribute, but if there were to be a Spyderco Straight Razor, I'd like to see something more than taking a standard style safety razor pattern, throwing Magnacut or LC200N, a trademark hole on it and then calling it a day.
Current Collection
Chaparral LW, Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:41 pm

When it comes to out-of-the-box ideas, I've only seen one company attempt to innovate when it comes to safety razors which was Merkur with their "Futur" razor -- which I felt was seriously flawed.

Right now there a many companies innovating safety razors. There is unique head design (Henson), 3D printing (Blackland), CNC like Yates, and many, many more things. There are two piece and three piece designs, as well as butterflies. There has not been much innovation in this area, at all...how to get the blade in and out and secure the blade easily. Also, there are handle designs, balance, shaving angles, and all sorts of things that companies, new startups, are innovating. The Futur is way outdated and outmoded in regard to what is going on in the razor market right now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 pm
DansGearAddiction wrote:

Right now there a many companies innovating safety razors. There is unique head design (Henson), 3D printing (Blackland), CNC like Yates, and many, many more things. There are two piece and three piece designs, as well as butterflies. There has not been much innovation in this area, at all...how to get the blade in and out and secure the blade easily. Also, there are handle designs, balance, shaving angles, and all sorts of things that companies, new startups, are innovating. The Futur is way outdated and outmoded in regard to what is going on in the razor market right now.
I was going to post about the Henson- that seems like the kind of head solution Spyderco might have put out. Definitely outside the box, and well executed. As new as I am to DE razors, I don’t have questions or problems needing to be solved by new innovation yet. Still much to learn…

I do love the idea of a butterfly, but they seem like they are the antithesis to the Henson. They would all be made of thin stamped metal, and it seems like they’d rattle. The Henson will just hold the blade in its precision, rock solid grasp.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:13 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 pm
DansGearAddiction wrote:

I was going to post about the Henson- that seems like the kind of head solution Spyderco might have put out. Definitely outside the box, and well executed. As new as I am to DE razors, I don’t have questions or problems needing to be solved by new innovation yet. Still much to learn…

I do love the idea of a butterfly, but they seem like they are the antithesis to the Henson. They would all be made of thin stamped metal, and it seems like they’d rattle. The Henson will just hold the blade in its precision, rock solid grasp.
Another good one is the Razorock Game Changer. It is solid stainless steel and is only 50 bucks or so. You can also get an extra head. I have the .68 and the .84. CNC, too. That is putting innovation and technology to work.

I will have a new Medium Henson, probably tomorrow when deliveries resume. I'll post my review of its shave. My wife's standard is great and gives me a good shave but I have to go over my face an extra time. I'm hoping the medium will be more suited to my beard. Can't wait. The tolerances are so tight it is amazing. Just screwing on the handle you can feel the quality. Putting in the blade is another treat. It fits in without any wiggle. Great razors.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The wet shaving community is huge world wide. There are enthusiasts even in places where people do not generally buy and carry knives. And look at the market for vintage razors. Some that you could buy for 25 cents at a garage sale are selling for over $500 and the sellers are getting it, too. Crazy. Everyday a new startup pops up with a new razor. I'd say there is a market for Spyderco. Whether Sal is interested or not is another story. However, we also have this to remember: no plastic waste.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050